Author Topic: My front brake install, with pics.  (Read 16913 times)

Offline r2t2

Re: My front brake install, with pics.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Excellent write up! About the only thing I do different is I use brake fluid to clean the pistons and seals. It cleans them and provides a bit of lubrication. Although I may try the dish soap method... A lot less toxic!
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
Excellent write up! About the only thing I do different is I use brake fluid to clean the pistons and seals. It cleans them and provides a bit of lubrication. Although I may try the dish soap method... A lot less toxic!
Brake fluid works good for that, but it will strip the paint off the caliper. Brake fluid is water soluble though, just be sure to clean it off fast.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
wow, great thread. i m about to do the brake job and your thread is right on

thx

Thank you for taking the time to do such a great job explaining the process as I am also getting ready to replace mine.

Thx

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
Previous bikes have called for copper grease on the guide pins and the back sides of the brake pad (toward the pistons), C14 shop manual does not.  Is this a good practice anyway?     

Offline r2t2

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
I've always applied a thin coat of anti-seize on all my brakes' guide pins. I have a real (mental) issue with dissimilar meatls in a hostile environment...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline qyetman

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the great post and pictures. I am sure this will help all the diy guys!!!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Previous bikes have called for copper grease on the guide pins and the back sides of the brake pad (toward the pistons), C14 shop manual does not.  Is this a good practice anyway?   
It doesn't harm anything. I prefer not to, but other folks do. Just personal preference.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Update on the brake performance after 5000 miles. EBC pads are doing great. Very progressive feel, & fantastic stopping power. No noise above normal friction noise, & because of the thorough scrubbing of the piston, My calipers are retracting normally with no drag. The EBC pads are definitely a quality item.

Offline pistole

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
On antilock brakes on some cars, You have to go through a special procedure to bleed the brakes. Most of those complicated systems were made by Bosch, & to say they sucked, would be an insult to things that suck.

Our bikes antilock system is of the solenoid type, & thankfully the solenoids are in the open position when not active, so the fluid will drain with no problem. The linked brake system should bleed the dame way, although, for the frt caliper that is linked to the rear brake, it's a good idea to check the fluid level in the rear master cylinder.

- thanks for that. How did you confirm that the abs on the c14 does not need a special procedure applied to the abs pump to enable bleeding ?

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
- thanks for that. How did you confirm that the abs on the c14 does not need a special procedure applied to the abs pump to enable bleeding ?

Logic. Accumulator type ABS systems are much too large & cumbersome to use on a motorcycle. There would be no place to put it, therefore, logic dictates it is a solenoid type. They are pretty much all the same.

Heheh...Also, it's in the service manual. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:32:04 PM by jamiemac »

Offline drizoiu

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Hello Jamie,
  Thanks for that DETAILED brake installation and PICTURES TOO.
I have a 2009 C14 ABS.I replaced the disks in the front with EBC ones and after 4-5000 miles I am experiecing shuddering when I aplly the front brake and keep the pressure on the lever constant. Some say that the stock pads are causing that so I've replace them too. When I installed the disks there was a spacer that goes between the disk and thw wheel. Replacing the stock disks with aftermarket EBC ones do I have to leave the spacer there too???
 The reason I am asking is because the Repair BOOK sais that: " the air gap between the Sensor and the wheel speed sensor disc should be 0.7-0.9 mm and I don't have that air gap with the sensor mouted , only at the sensor seat(the hole where the senson goes) and it is about 0.7 only.
 Do you have any suggestions??? THANK YOU in advance for any of ideas

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
Hello Jamie,
  Thanks for that DETAILED brake installation and PICTURES TOO.
I have a 2009 C14 ABS.I replaced the disks in the front with EBC ones and after 4-5000 miles I am experiecing shuddering when I aplly the front brake and keep the pressure on the lever constant. Some say that the stock pads are causing that so I've replace them too. When I installed the disks there was a spacer that goes between the disk and thw wheel. Replacing the stock disks with aftermarket EBC ones do I have to leave the spacer there too???
 The reason I am asking is because the Repair BOOK sais that: " the air gap between the Sensor and the wheel speed sensor disc should be 0.7-0.9 mm and I don't have that air gap with the sensor mouted , only at the sensor seat(the hole where the senson goes) and it is about 0.7 only.
 Do you have any suggestions??? THANK YOU in advance for any of ideas
I haven't used the EBC rotors yet, but there is at least one person on the forum that has, because I remember reading about his install. I do believe he left the spacer out, but as a measure of safety, I would search for the post about EBC rotors. When you find Him, I would send Him a message, just to make sure. My memory isn't 100% on it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »

Brake fluid works good for that, but it will strip the paint off the caliper. Brake fluid is water soluble though, just be sure to clean it off fast.

nice writeup Jamie, :thumbs:
but I have to add a word of caution here about using brake fluid for anything other than filling the sealed brake system....
Never use brake fluid to lubricate and or clean the brake pistons unless you intend to completly disassemble, clean, and re-assemble the parts in a clean and dry state. You can use it as an assist if you are "polishing" the pistons to remove pits and corrosion, but you must compleltly clean the parts using Brake-Kleen afterwards.....never use it as an assembly lube.
Brakefluid is hydgrophobic, and will suck up moisture, and hold it wherever it exists, therefore if you lube the piston and seals, the area that is exposed to the environment WILL corrode, invisibly inside the piston /bore that you cannot see on the outboard side of the sealed cavity.
not good.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
but I have to add a word of caution here about using brake fluid for anything other than filling the sealed brake system....
Never use brake fluid to lubricate and or clean the brake pistons unless you intend to completly disassemble, clean, and re-assemble the parts in a clean and dry state. You can use it as an assist if you are "polishing" the pistons to remove pits and corrosion, but you must compleltly clean the parts using Brake-Kleen afterwards.....never use it as an assembly lube.
Brakefluid is hydgrophobic, and will suck up moisture, and hold it wherever it exists, therefore if you lube the piston and seals, the area that is exposed to the environment WILL corrode, invisibly inside the piston /bore that you cannot see on the outboard side of the sealed cavity.
not good.

Hey MOB, you mean hygroscopic right?   ;)

I doubt that the brake fluid has any fear of water...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
not good.
Definitely a good post. Thanks for the additional info!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
Hey MOB, you mean hygroscopic right?   ;)

I doubt that the brake fluid has any fear of water...
Or has rabies! LOL ;D

Offline pasini510

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
I too have expirencing some shudder when i apply front brake. On another website , COG Grumpy Goat talked about using a 10 mm allen and brake cleaner to free up the Rivets that hold the disc to the carrier. It seems that they are spring loaded. I did this,and my front brakes are great now and I have minimal shudder. Its 5 times better than before and it took all off 30 minutes to do. 
Andre

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
I too have expirencing some shudder when i apply front brake. On another website , COG Grumpy Goat talked about using a 10 mm allen and brake cleaner to free up the Rivets that hold the disc to the carrier. It seems that they are spring loaded. I did this,and my front brakes are great now and I have minimal shudder. Its 5 times better than before and it took all off 30 minutes to do. 
Cool post! Great info.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
My EBC brakes now have about 7K miles on them now. Still working as good or better than new. No brake dragging when moving the bike around in the driveway. Cleaning those brake pistons is important.

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »
Reading your post and I decided better check my EBC pads after about 15K. Good thing I did as the pads were worn pretty much to their service limit. Cleaned pistons and calipers  per your instructions and installed new EBC pads and ready to go. Thanks for the post and the wake up call.
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14