Poll

How many bikes pulled to the right from the get go...?

Yes
5 (7.6%)
No
61 (92.4%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Brand new 2012 concours pulls to the right  (Read 27247 times)

Offline MikeB

Re: Brand new 2012 concours pulls to the right
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
Oh yeah...

I've read that there's a "correct order/procedure" in which to tighten the front wheel axle and pinch bolts.  Can anyone fill me in on what that might be?

Thanks a ton,
Mike
Mike B.
2011 Kawi Concours 14 ABS
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
  • Insert the axle from the right side
  • Tighten the axle nut
  • Right axle clamp bolts
  • left axle clamp bolts
Axle nut torque is 94ft/lbs
Axle clamp bolts torque 15ft/lbs

Note:  Before tightening the axle clamp bolts on the right front fork leg, pump the front fork up and down 4 or 5 times to make sure everything is seated correctly.

(per the 08 manual page 10-7)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MikeB

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Thanks Jim, much appreciated!  :D

Mike
Mike B.
2011 Kawi Concours 14 ABS
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Offline Z71

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
The units of torque are ft-lbs, not ft/lbs.   ;D

But seriously, I would not be happy about this problem.  This past weekend I asked my Kawasaki dealer about this issue - of course they never heard of it.   I would also check the routing of cables/hoses that are clamped to one of the fork tubes to make sure something is not too tight. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
If this is like the exploding drive shaft threads of days gone by, unfortunately most C14 bikes will experience this symptom soon
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stewart

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
If this is like the exploding drive shaft threads of days gone by, unfortunately most C14 bikes will experience this symptom soon

While I haven't experienced the pulling to the right phenomenon on my C14, I do experience it on my mountain bike when I ride without my hands on the bars. I either lean to the left more or push as even as I can with both legs to balance it out.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
top~ 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
Rode my bike for Colorado Springs to Austin on Saturday. In the few areas where I had little or no wind I tested how it tracked and it was straight and true. So I though about a letter to Kawasaki:

"Dear Kawasaki, A person on our forum was told by their Kawasaki dealer that it was normal for his new Concours 14 pull to the right. Since my Concours 14 tracks straight I was wondering if I should bring it in for service so it can be made to pull to the right like a "normal" Concours. Regards, Rhino" ;D
Exactly!  :thumbs:
Either they do a recall and make them all go right or do a recall and make them all go straight.

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
Hello All, new member here...

I just purchased a brand new 2011 Concours off the show room floor w/zero miles.  It also pulls to the right, just as RWilliamm has described (although not near as noticeable with hands on grips as RWilliamms').  It's a noticeable pull when removing hands from the bars. I've also been having slight pain in left arm during my ride (compensating for bikes pull to right?). I've tried with gears engage, in neutral on the crown of the road, even on the opposite side of the road where the bike should have floated left due to rain pitch.  It still pulls to the right. It's not an unevenly weighted bike, happens with bags empty.  I've also checked my seating position to make sure I'm square on the seat with the tank.  Nor is it the wind as all during the same ride I've ridden East, West, North and South to no avail.  One thing I've noticed that RWilliamm did not mention, is that the bars are not completely square (off just a tad) from the center of the dash (looking especially at the key insert area).

I'm going to check the front axle, pinch bolts and brake drag as mentioned as I have some squeaking during breaking as well.  Also going to check for tire wear front and back to look at center wear as well as tracking, making sure rear is in line with front.  If there's nothing to this, it's back to the dealer.  Not cool....and kinda freakin' out a bit.  Hope this doesn't get too involved. 

Any resolve for you yet RWilliamm?  We should keep in touch.

Mike
I cant tell for sure but the bars might not be square. I cant tell when I am stopped and when I am riding I have to turn the handlebars to the right to go straight so not sure from looking at it while riding either.
My left arm doesnt get sore, but I sure can tell I have to push on the left handle bar or pull on the right one, I am definitely fighting it to go straight.
But I swear if I had a throttle lock or just turned the idle screw a bit and stood beside my bike and put it in gear and push it off and let it go, it would do clockwise circles.
Contacted a lawyer, they say try one more repair attempt. The dealer didnt give me a copy of a work order every time I took it in. So I only have proof of 3 attempts to fix. Someone suggested trying kissimmee motorsports, taking my bike there in the morning.
I am tempted to check the front axle as mentioned. I dont have a torque wrench big enough for the job though.  Need another tool I guess.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
On a lighter note - Mine too has been known to pull to the right on certain occasions too no matter how hard i fought it. Here are the types of occasions-

Like when I met up with Aimee and her Duc

Once when the Honda gods wanted a break

Gatlinburg TN pulled like a mule

Another time it pulled hard for Paula

Then in Marion VA it pulled hard right

NC it had a major prob

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
Just got back from another dealership. They say its more of a drift then a pull. They called kawasaki and was told about the rep and his opinion and said it has to be a characteristic of the bike and they are agreeing.
 :banghead:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
Just got back from another dealership. They say its more of a drift then a pull. They called kawasaki and was told about the rep and his opinion and said it has to be a characteristic of the bike and they are agreeing.

I saw Kissimmee in your post. If you're close to Tampa and want to use my torque wrench or see how my bike handles in comparison you're welcome to

Offline Fretka

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Try putting the bike on it's centerstand, then sit or press down on the rear lifting the front tire. Carefully of course. Do this many times and see if there is a trend.

What do you see?
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Typical response when they don't have a solution. Lose the crap stock tires and see if that helps.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
Try putting the bike on it's centerstand, then sit or press down on the rear lifting the front tire. Carefully of course. Do this many times and see if there is a trend.

What do you see?
Hands off the bars?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »
Now this is just a guess, but I'm thinking that this test is to see if the bars have a tendency to flop to the right or stay centered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:55 AM »
My thinking also. Fretka?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »
Honda would go straight   ;D

Offline Fretka

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
Hands off. This test will tell you if your pull is coming from cables wiring, brake lines etc... Bars will usually flop to one side or another due to trail geometry but it should be equal, not always pulling to one side when starting from the wheel in the straight ahead position.

This will separate static problems from dynamic issues such as tires etc. Also a good time to check steering head bearing tightness so do that as well.

I usually put a small lift jack under the oil sump to rock the bike back off the front wheel while on the centerstand. Do this very carefully of course as if the bike slips forward bad things will surely happen! It works for me with no worries but if you are concerned you could always put a tie-down or rope pulling the bike backwards if you are worried by this.
It's likely you will not find the problem here but you never know.

It's doubly difficult to diagnose a problem from miles away but we can give it a go.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »

What do you see?
Ill try this today and see. I put my hands down by the forks the other day though and seems like everything has slack.