Author Topic: so many brake pads which ones?  (Read 3841 times)

Offline h2smokin

so many brake pads which ones?
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
I went searching for spare brake pads and to many choices, kevlar organic ,ceramic, etc . Which are best for everyday riding? Not in need yet but soon , thanks

Offline Turbo810

Re: so many brake pads which ones?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
EBC HH are always a good choice. I have had several sets of them and they work very well.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
Stock pads are HH sintered, you would be wise to stick with the HH style pads.  I have EBC HH pads and they have served me well over the last 25,000 or so miles.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
Organic and metal impregnated pads have their pros and cons:
Organic:
1) Often are cheaper to buy
2) tend to be quiet
3) Very easy on the rotors
4) Great brake feel
Cons:
1) Can wear out faster
2) Can't take heat as well as metal
On my suzuki 1100, I love organics as the metal ones I have used didn't have as good a feel and were real noisy. They work great though when the bike was loaded down with gear and if I were to drive aggressively, brake fade would creep in
On  C14, even though I like organics, would probably go with metal impregnated pads. The bike has the same brakes as the ZX14 but weighs a lot more so that is one strike against the organics right there. Even you don't drive aggressively, loading down those panniers with gear and adding a passenger would be enough, imho for organic pads to give up the ghost.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »
Stay with stock pads from 2010 forward they are improved from the 2008 model as I have done...never a problem, squeak, or fade......

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:25 AM »
Stay with stock pads from 2010 forward they are improved from the 2008 model as I have done...never a problem, squeak, or fade......

Ninja

that was my order just the other day for my 09 front pads. asked the same thing here too.

Offline mgtibb

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »
Anyone try the Bikemaster pads yet?

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
I now have enough miles on the Galfer HH front pads to call them broken in. This is a great brake pad. Sandro recommended these for running on a stock concours rotor.  Quite a bit of dust during the first hundred miles, btu its backed down to almost nothing now.

I did take thsi oen step further and have the rotors sand blasted at a local machine shop. This is also a Galfer recommendation. 

They are as powerful as stock 08 pads, but dont have such a hard bike at the moment you touch the lever.   Also, break-in took a while longer than some other pads I've tried.   I'm sold on them and wont use anythign else.

Also, the rear brake gets a lot better using the galfer organic pads.  There is much more range to them instead of the on/off feel of the stock pads.  Power is fine, but the action is vastly improved.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
After 30k miles my EBC front pads are below 1 MM thick. Service manual says standard size is 4 mm front and 5 mm rear, and 1 mm minimum. Although they have given me long life, the noise--sounds like a swarm of locusts--makes me want to change brand. I am going with the 2010+ Kawasaki OEM pads because of all the recommendations here and the price, only $103.98 shipped from Riderschoiceracing.com.  My second choice was more of the excellent  EBC HH pads from Murphskits.com for only $97.50. My rear original pads are showing very little wear at 45k.
2008 C-14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
I now have enough miles on the Galfer HH front pads to call them broken in. This is a great brake pad. Sandro recommended these for running on a stock concours rotor.  Quite a bit of dust during the first hundred miles, btu its backed down to almost nothing now.

I did take thsi oen step further and have the rotors sand blasted at a local machine shop. This is also a Galfer recommendation. 

They are as powerful as stock 08 pads, but dont have such a hard bike at the moment you touch the lever.   Also, break-in took a while longer than some other pads I've tried.   I'm sold on them and wont use anythign else.

Also, the rear brake gets a lot better using the galfer organic pads.  There is much more range to them instead of the on/off feel of the stock pads.  Power is fine, but the action is vastly improved.

Couldnt agree with you more about your experience with the Galfer pads, that is what I run and will continue to run.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »
I liked the Galfers OK, but in the rain they didn't feel as good as the EBCs.  I wore out the rotors, went with a set of EBC rotors and pads.  14000 miles later the rotors look as good as new and the pads are still feeling/reacting better than the CLs or Galfers, wet, dry, moderate track speeds (130s)with hard sections of braking.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
I believe the next set of pads I buy will be the DP brakes HH+ pads. I swapped them on my Ninja 1000 and they are nothign short fo amazing.  Massive power, they run clean, and are quiet.  In power, the stock Ninja brake was no match for th ec14.  With the HH+ pads, its more powerful.  In stock forum, all four fingers were needed for good power....with the HH+, its two.

They may be too much for the c14 since the stock set-up is amazing.  With abs, though, it might be great.  I think its worth a try, anyway. The cost is reasonable, too.  I'll post this link, but the cost may be less somewhere else.  http://www.solomotoparts.com/DP-Brakes-Sport-HH-Supersport-Front-Brake-Pads-for-ZX14R-Ninja-06-11/

These pads are seriously powerful, though.  In a previous life, Vesrah rjl's were my favorite, but very expensive.  The dp+HH makes those feel like garbage. No fade, and no warm-up needed like the vesrah's required. 

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:33:28 AM »
I put the EBC HH pads on the front of mine abt a month ago and so far so good.

Fred