Author Topic: tire ware pr2 vs pr3 only please  (Read 4880 times)

Offline JS_racer

tire ware pr2 vs pr3 only please
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »
OK, for the guys that have run the pr2 and the pr3, how do the mileages compare between these two ?? did one last longer or about the same ??

thanks much for the time,
Joel

(tried a few pr2 sets early on, then went to the 023 stones. very happy with them but the ware isn't good for me, now on a gt front and rear 023 in a 55 rear. think a pr? will be my next set to test again for mileage and handling. i get about 6-7k from a front and 4-5k from a rear. )

Offline jjsC6

Re: tire ware pr2 vs pr3 only please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »
I have not run the PR3 yet, and I'm curious to hear the answer.  I can tell you that I'm on my fourth PR2, and I pretty easily get 8-9,000 miles on the rear (more on the front, but I replace them together).  As a comparison, I got 5,500 on the factory rear which was the updated Bridgestone 021 than came on the 2010.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Spanky

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
The pr'3 seem to wear out slightly quicker on the sides than the pr'2s did. I have not noticed any difference in the center wear rate between the two. The pr3's have significantly better traction when the road is wet. The pr2's would slide a little on wet roads, the 3's are much more confidence inspiring. If your mileage is on straight roads you should get about the same wear, if they are curvy you may get a little less. Thats my two cents  :)

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
I went 9-10 k happy miles on the PR2. (some wear left on the front) Replaced them w/ PR3 and now have 5500 ecstatic miles on them. The 3 is the same rubber compound (said the Michelin guy @ IMS) but w/ added sipes galore!!!!

My estimate is similar (road) miles on the 3 vs the 2. The difference is the sipes.....they add stick to the entire tire, reduce heat, but also reduce rubber on the road, so faster (potential ) wear on the sides.

Since they have the same profile, the (theoretical ) same compounds, and therefor the same mileage.....I would always get 3s vs 2s because you may/might/will get caught in the rain. They clearly are better in the cold, wet, slippery surfaces, so why not buy that added safety and confidence.                                        YMMV
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:39:58 AM by roger dodger »
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
I got about the same mileage from my PR2s (4 rears, 2 fronts) and PR3s (on 2nd rear now but still on 1st front)
Rears go between 8 and 9k miles, fronts go 12 to 14k miles for me. All measured to the wear bars.
YMMV especially if you live in a hot climate. Here it's mostly cold and wet so good wet weather tyres are a must.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
I have run three PR2's (all between 5000-6000 miles) and one PR3 (took off early at 3500 miles and it might have had 500-1000 miles left in it).  For the money I am gonna stick with the PR2's since they perform just as well as the PR3 unless I am riding in a downpour. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:28 AM »
just a bump  :)

(my front gt 023 is holding up great, but another rear in the bin with 4000 miles on it  ???)
next round is a pr2 or pr3, should be about a month or so till then. lol

thanks again,
Joel

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »
I have run both. I run mostly highway miles and can get around 17000 miles out of either types. I also go slightly over 10,000 miles out of th OEM tires just for an example. PR 3s are so much better feeling in the rain.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »
I have run both. I run mostly highway miles and can get around 17000 miles out of either types. I also go slightly over 10,000 miles out of th OEM tires just for an example. PR 3s are so much better feeling in the rain.

Indeed, I'm finding I get the same mileage from both but the PR3's feel profoundly grippier/safer when caught in the twisties in the rain
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
I've got about 2500+ on my PR2's and they look scrubbed in, but no flat spots at all.  Yep, I will buy PR3 next time because of the rain pattern, but will keep these PR2's until they're worn down.  Happy with them at the moment.
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »
Pretty much the same info (8k to 9k on rears, more on the front) EXCEPT...

The PR2's seemed to cup a bit worse towards the end of their service life than the PR3's have shown (distinct edge on both sides of the tire at the center to side rubber compound transition and the side compound scalloping noticeably). Not too surprising given these are heavy powerful bikes, but made the cornering lean in squirmier as you moved off the center compound and into the cupped side compound....

The "Michelin Man" said the PR3's extra sipes/”rain groves” actually also break up the tread block into smaller sections and reduce the amount of cupping you get with larger tread blocks....go figure.

YMMV

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
Pretty much the same info (8k to 9k on rears, more on the front) EXCEPT...

The PR2's seemed to cup a bit worse towards the end of their service life than the PR3's have shown (distinct edge on both sides of the tire at the center to side rubber compound transition and the side compound scalloping noticeably). Not too surprising given these are heavy powerful bikes, but made the cornering lean in squirmier as you moved off the center compound and into the cupped side compound....

The "Michelin Man" said the PR3's extra sipes/”rain groves” actually also break up the tread block into smaller sections and reduce the amount of cupping you get with larger tread blocks....go figure.

YMMV

the only way to compare cupping is to ride on the same roads the life of the tire, same temp asphalt, same line in the roads. 

To randomly travel on different roads, at different temps, and ride in different parts of the road to compare tires will not produce a factual, statistically correct comparison.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:39 AM »
thanks for the updates guys  :chugbeer:

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »
Any updates to tire wear?

Also, anyone run a combination of the two (PR2 front/PR3 rear or PR3 front/PR2 rear)?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »
I have run a PR2 front with a PR3 rear and it worked great.  Felt exactly the same as running PR2/PR2 (haven't run a PR3 front yet).  Michelin makes a great product and they stand up to my heavy right wrist while gripping as well as any of the other tires I have tried.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
Any updates to tire wear?

Also, anyone run a combination of the two (PR2 front/PR3 rear or PR3 front/PR2 rear)?
I'm running 3 front, 2 rear. New at same time. About 5200 on them. Just ordered a 3 for the rear. Front is about half life or slightly less.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
I have a pr3 front pr2 rear.  9k on the rear and 2k on the front I replace them individually when they wear out. I Changed the OEM front at 4k and Metzler touring at 14K to the PR3, OEM rear to PR2 at 6700MI and still going at 15500MI.  I'm guessing 10k to 11K till it's gone. I have noticed the PR3 front doing some funky looking flares (uneven sipe faces) on the sides so I may stick with the PR2 when I change it next time.  I really don't ride much in the rain unless I must but the PR3 has a nice grip and feel for now, I just don't know how well it will last.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
No info as far as PR2s are concerned, but, here are a couple of pics of my rear PR3 with 10k miles on it. The sides are starting to show some wear.

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »
I have put 10k miles on both PR2 and 3.  For me the PR2 rear looked a little better but the PR3 front is better after those miles.  One caveat is I have been riding with a passenger more with the PR3's so that may account for the difference.  I still have the 2's left over as an emergency replacement so I can compare directly.  I definitely like the feel of the 3's more so I will probably stick with them.  I do enough cross country trips, where you can't decide if you are going to run in the rain or not, so it's worth having the extra performance.