Author Topic: Cee Bailey's Vented Windscreens  (Read 2383 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Cee Bailey's Vented Windscreens
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »
I am thinking about going with one of these but would like to know from those who have one how they are in the rain and cold? With the vent being open would you get wet? Iced in the colder weather?

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Re: Cee Bailey's Vented Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
I had used a shorter-than-stock version a number of years ago and liked it when the weather was warm and dry. It also got rid of some of the buffeting that occurs with the stock screen. After riding through a couple of rain storms I decided to replace it with a non-vented version. Water would come in thru the vent and shower me more than I liked. If you ride in the weather I wouldn't recommend it. I actually like the stock screen with the "lip" on the top for summertime rain. The lip seems to help guide some of the droplets around the screen instead of over the top into my head and chest. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
I have a 26.5" vented CeeBailey's.  I've found that if it is raining hard enough for any noticeable amount of water to come through the vent, it makes a negligible difference in how wet your riding gear is.  (Everything you're wearing is likely wet already.  Hopefully only on the outside.)  If you feel the need to close the vent, a piece of 1/2" foam pipe insulation can be trimmed to clip over the edge of the vent quite nicely.  I do this for the colder weather, but it would keep rain out as well.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
IMO, I get wetter with the vented Cee Bailey, regardless of whether or not I plug the vent with pipe insulation, that I got with the stock shield. 

That said, the turbulence is greatly reduced with the unplugged Cee Bailey.  It seems that when I plug the Cee Bailey, the increased turbulence seems to bring more rain into the rider area.  I've quit plugging it and wear good rain gear. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Any ideas of what would greatly reduce the noice in your helemt, protect you in the cold and wet but allow some air on the days that are hot????? I have have seen the links in the forum but not many reviews. Thanks for the input.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
Any ideas of what would greatly reduce the noice in your helemt

Get an Arai...

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
I have a 26.5" vented CeeBailey's.  I've found that if it is raining hard enough for any noticeable amount of water to come through the vent, it makes a negligible difference...

+1

I have a piece of Styrofoam that I cut a wedge to plug the vent.

Someone said that a Goldwing louver kit can go into a CB vent somehow.  My shield stays on year round for me, Steve.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:04:03 AM »
New helemt - not now - just bought the O'Neal bluetooth. I am also now checking out the shield from Gustafsson Plastics with the 2 pop vents. The vents are the same that I had on my last bike and they worked well but can 't find much on the shield yet.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 06:13:49 AM »
I've heard not so good on Gustafson and Targa. I've heard good on Rifle, Clearview and Cee Bailey.

I had a Clearview 25"GT with vent which I liked just fine, not so good for passenger.

I have a 29.5 Cee Bailey vented now, which works well for me, and better for the passenger. I do miss the convenience of the Gold Wing vent, though. Screwing around with pipe insulation is a PIA. Maybe  I'll get around to putting the vent on, one of these days.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)