Author Topic: GoPro Speed calculation  (Read 4386 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
GoPro Speed calculation
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
So I mounted a GoPro on the lower fairing of the Concours and before I post up any video's I wanted to know - Can your speed be calculated from the video and be used against you in Court? Not that I would ever exceed the posted speed limit  ::).  Would something like this formula allow your speed to be calculated?http://www.topendsports.com/biomechanics/video-analysis-speed.htm

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: GoPro Speed calculation
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
I would then worry about Po Po's yanking GPS' off of bikes to pull speed data out of them if that was the case, kinda like some dept's are doing with smartphones these days.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
I could be wrong but I think you would really have to be flaunting it like this guy did to have them come after you.

victoria highway run 299km

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
I would then worry about Po Po's yanking GPS' off of bikes to pull speed data out of them if that was the case, kinda like some dept's are doing with smartphones these days.

I can hear it now.

"Son, your GPS has shows you were traveling at 125mph"

"But officer, that's not my GPS, I was just holding it for a friend."
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
I could be wrong but I think you would really have to be flaunting it like this guy did to have them come after you.

victoria highway run 299km

First of all I would never have my speed on the camera and 2nd of all that guy is not "flaunting" he is "Dead man riding".  Seriously that guy has a Death Wish and I'm sure it won't be long riding like that before his wish is granted!!

If I am going to ride at high speeds it is with very very very minimal traffic or best place is on the track.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »
I would use a username/handle like, uhhh... Ghost Rider.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
First of all I would never have my speed on the camera and 2nd of all that guy is not "flaunting" he is "Dead man riding".  Seriously that guy has a Death Wish and I'm sure it won't be long riding like that before his wish is granted!!

If I am going to ride at high speeds it is with very very very minimal traffic or best place is on the track.

Exactly what I'm saying. There are thousands and thousands of vids out there with people speeding. I just don't think LE has the time or inclination to go after 1 millionth of them unless your completely nuts... like that guy, cuz they did go after that guy. But what do I know? It's just IMHO.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
BTW: even without the speedo in the frame I think they could nail him just like your post points out. Highway stripes per second if nothing else.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
BTW: even without the speedo in the frame I think they could nail him just like your post points out. Highway stripes per second if nothing else.

Yep, that is what I thought as well...  So "if" I was ever going to do some crazy triple digit run I should not post the video or for that matter even shoot video just in case....

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
The person in the video is playing Russian Roulette with a motorcycle.  However, it's actually worse than using a revolver.  With the revolver he will only hurt himself.  With the bike, there's more at stake than his own ass. 

The video or the GPS maximum mph reading won't stand up in court as the burden of proof is on the prosecution to state unequivocally that you were the one riding at the time of the readings.  I know that the GPS does not record the date at the time of the maximum mph reading.  The video may or may not, I don't know.  If it does, the arresting officer must substantiate the recorded time and date of the video with his observation of the accused actually being the rider at that time and place.

I've ridden every bike I've ever owned at its maximum speed from time to time.  But never in anything that even hints at being in a populated area, only in the middle of nowhere with no one else on the road.  This squid is making us all look bad and then he posts the evidence on the Internet to magnify the harm he's doing.  I doubt that this clown will ever reach half my age.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline momo65

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
i totally agree with you Bud, that guy is an idiot on two wheels, not only getting himself in harms way, but also innocent drivers at that. hope he gets caught.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
That vid was from another thread and my understanding is they did track him down from the video and catch him. The question from the OP was could this happen to anyone that posts a vid with some speeding even without the speedometer in the frame. My opinion is that if your just showing some vid of a nice open road and not being totally reckless I don't think you would have anything to worry about. There are a million goPro vids out there.