Author Topic: Eyes Wide Open?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
Eyes Wide Open?
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:55:54 AM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=34a_1317870586

and eye opener...and a "What if"? 

(not intended to be funny and it's not...it is quiet scary)
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
Re: Eyes Wide Open?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
If that box was running Windows, he would still be waiting for it to boot up.

If that box was running Mac OS, he'd need a mouse to open it.

If that box was running Linux, he could have 'grep'ed the password via a USB port to get at the firearm.

If that box was running Ice Cream Sandwich, he would need a faster dataplan to open it.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
Yea, I bet every law abiding citizen in Calif. will rush right out and get one of those boxes.
I know I would, only problem is that my sawed off shot-gun is still to big.
Not to mention the 4 stashed pistols, oops, I mentioned it.   ;) ;)
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
The video is really a parody on what it could be like I know...but think about this...

To summon the police to your home in the case of an emergency you now dial 911...this leads them to your house and they show up minutes later or depending on where you live...maybe hours later.

Sort of like that guy entering his pass number to get into the gun box.

911 is no different (and if you stay on the line, exactly the same) and the LEO's of today are NOT the LEO's of yesteryear....polled, the LEO's of today will tell you...they DO NOT WANT to public armed.....(most of them grew up playing video games rather than hunting for their food or having to go to the barn to see what the noise is in the middle of the night)

the problem is that we have "evolved" so much differently from our pasts where we didn't have 911...we didn't have punch code boxes, and we didn't have "wait" times....we armed ourselves, went and looked for the problem, and handled it...and maybe, just maybe, called the police/sheriff afterwards.

I remember my grandpa shooting a guy one night because he was knocking on my grandpas back door and woke grandpa up....the story I remember was grandpa got up to see what was all the noise about, he told the guy to leave and don't come back, the guy didn't and tried to open grandpas door, gramps shot him. The guy laid there for about 3 hours before the sheriff showed up. He didn't die, but a few weeks later he was arrested in another town for an assault...if gramps had only aimed a little higher.

A recent statement made by a "dispatcher", "we don't need you to do that" (follow the suspicious person Travon Martin)..how the heck does a dispatcher know what Zimmerman should do? Would Zimmerman been better off NOT calling?
yes...yes he would...

Anyway, my point is....I ain't got time to wait...remember....the police are only minutes away when seconds count....

nothing against the LEO's I understand as I was one too (retired)...but it is what it is.....

When the coyote is in the chicken house....it's time to show him he wasn't invited for dinner..........not check his reservations
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
Must remain calm, must remain calm.  Blood is boiling.

Truth be known, this is exactly what they want.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
911 is no different (and if you stay on the line, exactly the same) and the LEO's of today are NOT the LEO's of yesteryear....polled, the LEO's of today will tell you...they DO NOT WANT to public armed.....
I often wonder where they find these LEOs that they supposedly poll for these results.  Nearly every LEO I know feels that we'd all be better off (as a society) if more people chose to arm themselves for protection.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
I often wonder where they find these LEOs that they supposedly poll for these results.  Nearly every LEO I know feels that we'd all be better off (as a society) if more people chose to arm themselves for protection.

I have looked for the link to the article...can't find it now, I'll keep looking.

Basically the article said te FBI, Nat. Police Assoc and the Nat. Sheriffs Assoc all said they would agree to "disarming" America would make us safer....

Also...it is very interesting that depending on the part of the country you go to how this changes...I think a lot of these "polls" are started and ended in Illinois, Maryland, Calif., and Wash DC.....
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:13 PM »
I have looked for the link to the article...can't find it now, I'll keep looking.

Basically the article said te FBI, Nat. Police Assoc and the Nat. Sheriffs Assoc all said they would agree to "disarming" America would make us safer....

Also...it is very interesting that depending on the part of the country you go to how this changes...I think a lot of these "polls" are started and ended in Illinois, Maryland, Calif., and Wash DC.....
I wonder, are the associated unions and talking heads setting the parameters and demographics of the polls?  Just saying >:(  I've known a few LEOs in my time, and only one (city police Chief) was against ownership.  He is one heck of a politician in a very progressive city.  30 years ago it was cruze central.  Today, it is crack central with a drug rehab center on it's way.  I can't move quick enough.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:24 AM »
Wow, I'd say you all just have way more faith in the intelligence and responsibility of the average person than I do.
I don't understand why we shouldn't expect at least as much proof of competency as is required for a MC license? (yes, yes the COTUS. But why would you not support an greater expectations?)
I'd have to guess that they are basing their statements on the numbers.
You know that there is less murder in the UK. More stabbings, sure, but the overall murder rate per capita is lower. Almost double the world average and three times the UK!
To what do you attribute this if not the greater difficulty of killing someone without a gun?
'02 C-10

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
Rk, if you're saying it's better to be stabbed than to be shot I reject the premise your statement is based on. If that's a choice you want to make have at it. I would prefer to defend myself by any means available. Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »

If you could ABSOLUTELY disarm everyone of guns then there would be less shootings but if all your going to do is disarm the honest and law abiding citizen then you have got to be too frickin stupid...... (speechless)

Every LEO I currently know would seem to agree with you Jon.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »
 And don't forget this little gem-  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

The police are not duty bound to protect you.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:13:40 AM »
Somewhere, there was a story of the old man who called police saying there were 2 men breaking into his garage. The dispatcher told him that all the officers were busy on other calls and it could be 30 to 40 minutes before help arrived
The old man said ok, hung up, but then called back 3 minutes later. He told the dispatcher that he took care of it and now they should just send the coroner, because he has shot them dead, and then hung up.
4 police cars showed up at his address within 2 minutes of his 2nd call, they captured the men breaking in, noticing that they weren't dead or shot. When they asked the old man why he called and said he shot them, the old man asked the cop, why was I told it would be 30 to 40 minutes for you to get here.   8)Take care of business, then make the call.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
And don't forget this little gem-  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

The police are not duty bound to protect you.

Every time I read this I get cold chills...

Sadly it is a bail out for them when they have no where to turn...and when they stick their head up the arse of a mule.

If they can't protect , then give them something else to do....."Incident Scene Clean Up"

Again...as was said in the first post:  "the police are only minutes away when seconds count"

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 07:56:37 AM »
Oh, I completely believe you that the article and poll exist.  Wasn't trying to dispute that.  Just that pollsters in many instances seem to have a predetermined outcome that they manage to convey with their "data".

Basically the article said the FBI, Nat. Police Assoc and the Nat. Sheriffs Assoc all said they would agree to "disarming" America would make us safer....
And those associations rarely have anything to do with the opinions of the officers that are actually walking the beats.  They're usually made up of the chiefs, sheriffs, etc. who are all political appointees or elected officials. 

Heck, the directives for our department state that "This Department is not a police agency, and it does not require, or even desire, its Peace Officers to carry firearms while off-duty."  They'd prefer that we be unarmed.   ::)  Depending on where I am, I get really nervous if I hear "Hey, CO!" from somewhere.

Every LEO I currently know would seem to agree with you Jon.
Of course they do.  We're a brilliant bunch.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »
Every time I read this I get cold chills...

Sadly it is a bail out for them when they have no where to turn...and when they stick their head up the arse of a mule.

If they can't protect , then give them something else to do....."Incident Scene Clean Up"

Again...as was said in the first post:  "the police are only minutes away when seconds count"
Revenuers with radar guns, motorcycle only roadblocks, gestapo safety checkpoints. We need someone to protect us from ourselves.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
Wow, I'd say you all just have way more faith in the intelligence and responsibility of the average person than I do.
I don't understand why we shouldn't expect at least as much proof of competency as is required for a MC license? (yes, yes the COTUS. But why would you not support an greater expectations?)I'd have to guess that they are basing their statements on the numbers.
You know that there is less murder in the UK. More stabbings, sure, but the overall murder rate per capita is lower. Almost double the world average and three times the UK!
To what do you attribute this if not the greater difficulty of killing someone without a gun?

My father taught me how to drive, on a tractor, then an old truck, then a newer truck on forest roads, then a newer yet truck on public roads.  My father taught me how to shoot, at home, then in the woods, more at home, then at a range, then a "Mandatory" hunter safety course (I coulda given that course at the ripe age of ten), then in the woods at his side armed for deer.  After HE felt I was safe I was allowed short trips in the woods solo, as I seasoned I was allowed to go as I felt safe.  If I were confined to a city most of this wouldnt of been possible, were I confined my father would have had 2 choices, either rely on someone else for training, or rely on the training to take place by my peers.
My point?  I think it's pretty easy to figure out, it takes a village to raise an idiot, it takes a family to raise a son.  A simple class is NEVER enough, it also takes sound reasoning and judgement to become effective, something a class can only demonstrate or discuss, and then for a proscribed amount of time.  All too often these classes are attended simply for the sake of becoming quallified to a set of "Statndards" some unknowing polititican drew up.  Also known as over regulation for some emotional based need.  BTW, most emotional needs are not.  They are simply strong desires.  Do we need gun control?  I soundly say yes, no, not the emotional control, the control to properly use the weapon, the "Gun control means two hands" control.  We need to know when to use it and how to use it.
I still wonder just why the anti crowd is so set against guns, yet we do not see the same kind of passion towards automobiles or alcohol, often the same crowd who is working so hard to legalize even more mind altering chemicals and substances.  Those 2 combinations kill far more innocents in America then guns do.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 08:17:41 AM »

the problem is that we have "evolved" so much differently from our pasts where we didn't have 911...we didn't have punch code boxes, and we didn't have "wait" times....we armed ourselves, went and looked for the problem, and handled it...and maybe, just maybe, called the police/sheriff afterwards.

Anyway, my point is....I ain't got time to wait...remember....the police are only minutes away when seconds count....

When the coyote is in the chicken house....it's time to show him he wasn't invited for dinner..........not check his reservations
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Did anyone notice that when the safe actually did open; his gun didnt have a clip magazine in it.  That kinda make it a really expensive rock
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:10:32 AM by snarf »
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
Hair clip or a paper-clip?
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights