Poll

What is the chance you will order a set of Canyon Cages for your Gen 1 C14?

Yes, %100
31 (37.8%)
Probably, %75
19 (23.2%)
Depends on SWMBO %50
12 (14.6%)
Not sure %25
18 (22%)
It's a safety device, why wouldnt I?  %100000000 chance, why can't I pay now?
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage  (Read 56059 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
That looks pretty darn nice!

What about laying that baby down for some pics?

We did lay the bike down a few different times and I thought I had uploaded pics but I guess not.  ??? I'll dig through my files and find the pics of the bike laid over for you.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
Throw some small rears on it for the laydown pics.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »
We did lay the bike down a few different times and I thought I had uploaded pics but I guess not.  ??? I'll dig through my files and find the pics of the bike laid over for you.
And one from the front and rear?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
And one from the front and rear?

See post #138 of this thread for a couple frontal shots, none laying down though.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
NICE ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »

Sorry Chet, I'm only comparing them to the Top Block, which I know first hand work

Tipover/crash bars are not black-and-white "work" or "don't work" accessories.   Based on the design of both in question, I can think of many situations where the Canyon Cage is very likely to offer more (or MUCH more) protection than the Top Blocks.  And many where the hideous "bathroom bars" offer more (or MUCH more) than the Canyons.

No matter how much effort goes into the design, there are always going to be compromises between form and function.  For example:  flip flops "work", don't they?  But so do tennis shoes, wing tips, and heavy boots.  They all offer different levels of foot "protection", but also different levels of comfort, ventilation, and style.  I wouldn't want to wear any of those but boots when riding, or anything but wingtips to a wedding, or anything but flip flops to the beach.  Some footwear can meet multiple needs reasonably but excel at only some situations.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
I think I'm a likin' em.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
It takes a lot to get Me to divert money from the firearm fund. This may do just that.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
Better than bathroom bars, but I am uninspired.  I saw more interaction with the first set, and not so much here.  To each their own though......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »
Better than bathroom bars, but I am uninspired.  I saw more interaction with the first set, and not so much here.  To each their own though......

:goodpost:

I agree with the cheesehead, the 2nd gen bars had multiple tweeks based on member feedback, not so much on the 1st gen set, it looks like you tried to morph the 2nd gen look to fit the 1st gen, which in my opinion was the wrong direction given the 1st gen body lines...  :-\

They might protect (but we haven't seen the pics of one layed over) but I do think you missed the mark for those of us that actually care about how they make the bike look...  :(

Taff

« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

:goodpost:

I agree with the cheesehead, the 2nd gen bars had multiple tweeks based on member feedback, not so much on the 1st gen set, it looks like you tried to morph the 2nd gen look to fit the 1st gen, which in my opinion was the wrong direction given the 1st gen body lines...  :-\

They might protect (but we haven't seen the pics of one layed over) but I do think you missed the mark for those of us that actually care about how they make the bike look...  :(

Jay, some good points although Ryan was asked to provide a set of bars that required "no drilling" thus the finished product. The 2nd Gen bikes have more latitude for "anchor" points compared with the 1st Gen bikes.
Life is a trade off between form and function  ;D ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
Jay, some good points although Ryan was asked to provide a set of bars that required "no drilling" thus the finished product. The 2nd Gen bikes have more latitude for "anchor" points compared with the 1st Gen bikes.
Life is a trade off between form and function  ;D ;D

Well I have no horse in this race, but I do know good looks from bad, but maybe I'm speaking for others out of turn...  :-\

I never saw a poll that said would you like something that looked better if you had to drill a hole (like on the Top Block) vs a design that required no drilling...

I've heard alot of possitive feedback from others on here that love the 1st gen Top Block but just didn't like the cost and that they were in France, I thought this would be an awesome opportunity for Ryan to take advantage of that market and I even tried to point him in that direction for the sake of the members on here, but I guess not...  :(

No worries, all good for folks that buy em, but I think sales on the 1st gen set's could have been much higher with a better looking product...

:chugbeer: :grouphug:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
As a note, I set the poll to allow for a change in vote.  I for one am still in for a set, although I may skip the rear bars, my main concern is the front end, most of what I will be wanting them for doesn't involve the bags.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2012, 04:18:17 AM »

Well I have no horse in this race, but I do know good looks from bad, but maybe I'm speaking for others out of turn...  :-\

I never saw a poll that said would you like something that looked better if you had to drill a hole (like on the Top Block) vs a design that required no drilling...

No worries, all good for folks that buy em, but I think sales on the 1st gen set's could have been much higher with a better looking product...

ZG, right on. It seems they got stuck on the no drill option without even a look at the other possibilities. I for one would have liked to see other possible designs. I see a lack of development effort here that wasn't apparent on the gen 2 thread. Disappointed but I can't run another man's business for him.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »
I'm not quite getting it. Someone who doesn't own a Gen 1 is disliking the the bars that were made for it while others who do own the gen 1 bikes do like them.  If you don't like them then don't buy them. If you own a gen 2 then what does it matter whether you like them or not. Give Ryan a break here. He came up with a viable option for the gen 1 bikes that I personally think looks better than a block of rubber coated steel attached to the side of my fairing. I'm still in.

Taff

« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »

I've heard alot of possitive feedback from others on here that love the 1st gen Top Block but just didn't like the cost and that they were in France, I thought this would be an awesome opportunity for Ryan to take advantage of that market and I even tried to point him in that direction for the sake of the members on here, but I guess not...  :(

:chugbeer: :grouphug:

Jay, there was only the original poll that was asking for peoples interest in these bars. You did comment to Ryan in the Gen 2 thread about the Top Block design, so it seemed to me that those who own the 2nd Gen bikes didn't want to take on that design as witnessed by the amount of responses on the thread that went with the final design.

Having the no drill option for the crash bars is easier for maintenance without having to remove more items, such as the crash bars, to get to serviceable items. It is quite possible that the form factor on the 1st Gen bikes may have put people off purchasing them but again this is a trade off between bling and function.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »

It must be the black that makes 'em look better  :chugbeer:

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »
Maybe I'm the only one but I really like the look of the gen1 bars.....maybe even better than the gen2 bars I have coming for my 2011.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Son of Pappy

« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Maybe I'm the only one but I really like the look of the gen1 bars.....maybe even better than the gen2 bars I have coming for my 2011.
Yup!  I like the extra bend at the top, adds a touch of class IMO.  I am a function over form kinda guy, but even at that I could not wrap my mind around the BR bars.  I don't think these are better looking, but IMO they look just as good.  I'd be willing to bet there was a conversation alongs these lines "Ryan, these are what we're selling, no more changes"  Ryan's reply was a sheepish, "Yes boss".
Ryan, ya did one heck of a job and the MC crew has performed beyond my, and I would wager, most, expectations.  Outstanding product :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
I'm not quite getting it. Someone who doesn't own a Gen 1 is disliking the the bars that were made for it while others who do own the gen 1 bikes do like them.  If you don't like them then don't buy them. If you own a gen 2 then what does it matter whether you like them or not. Give Ryan a break here. He came up with a viable option for the gen 1 bikes that I personally think looks better than a block of rubber coated steel attached to the side of my fairing. I'm still in.

???

Not sure if this was directed at me MJ, but I do own a Gen 1...