Author Topic: Owners manual stowage  (Read 10634 times)

Offline CrashGordon

Re: Owners manual stowage
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
I keep mine in a fire safe at home with the titles to my vehicles.
Mine, too. But I do put it in a ziplock and pack it when I go on a trip.

Offline W14

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
Regarding the question on why pack the manual with you, it is no different than an owners manual for a car - mine is always in the glove compartment. I always carry the manual on the bike in case something happens and I need the manual for a solution.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »
I guess the reason I asked was there is a lot of people out there that know this bike better than I do. 
I have never had a bike that didn't had a place dedicated to stowing the owners manual for those times out on the road and you need to adjust things.  That is why they give you a tool kit, you're not going to do a valve adjust in at Kwik Trip parking lot but you might adjust your throttle play or your clock if you travel into another time zone.....  This bike they just hand it to you and I haven't found a good place to put it because you don't always need it but it's nice to have sometimes.  Most of the time they put it with the tool kit under the seat but I don't think there is enough room under there but maybe I'll have to give it a try.  As big as I am I could probably put a clothes change under there and lunch too and if I sat on it would latch the seat! :yikes:  I very seldom use my side bags because they make my rear look big  ;D and I haven't decided what top case I want.  I'm leaning to the Givi v46 but the Shad 50 has a back rest included but that's for the farkel forum.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline W14

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 05:13:31 AM »
JerBear,

I am just the opposite of you - I don't ride without the side bags and don't like the way the bike looks without the bags. One of my reasons for purchasing the C14 is its funtionality: can carry necessities, do various roads, etc. One thing I have added is a Cortech tail bag (goggle Cortech). This enables me to get to things (cap, could be the manual, etc) quickly without having to use the key to open the side bags - it has a pouch for a manual. The Cortech bag cannot be locked, so you should not put anything in that someone values.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »
Most of the time they put it with the tool kit under the seat but I don't think there is enough room under there but maybe I'll have to give it a try.  As big as I am I could probably put a clothes change under there and lunch too and if I sat on it would latch the seat! :yikes:

In my other bikes, it was with the toolkit under the seat.  However, the Concours is so much more advanced/complex, the manual is much bigger.  And there really isn't room under the seat for it.

I very seldom use my side bags because they make my rear look big 

I think the bike looks odd without them on- the front is then HUGE and the back is super narrow.  Besides, I actually use my bags for storage all the time- one of the main reasons for having a bike like ours.

and I haven't decided what top case I want.

To me- that looks even stranger, having a top case on the bike, ESPECIALLY with no side cases.  But, to each his own!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
OK guy's Mr Stupido here why would you want to pack the qwners manual with you??

Can't see a reason why somebody wouldn't, no different than a car IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
Yes, on the Kwak US site...  http://www.kawasaki.com

ok. forgive my ignorance. When i hit 'save as' and convert it into a document, i only get the cover and the table of contents saved.
Can someone please tell me how i would save the whole manual in one file and then how would i download it to my smartphone other than attaching it to an email and sending it to myself?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
ok. forgive my ignorance. When i hit 'save as' and convert it into a document, i only get the cover and the table of contents saved.  Can someone please tell me how i would save the whole manual in one file

Hmm, it would appear Kawasaki is being jerks and not offering the entire thing as one PDF.  Instead, they are breaking it up into pieces with this link:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1707&lang_code=EN

You would have to click on every HTML link they have, which pulls up 15 separate files or something, then use a utility to knit them together.   Well, I already have the file in one, so I just private messaged you a link to it.

and then how would i download it to my smartphone other than attaching it to an email and sending it to myself?

That depends on how "smart" your phone is.  I have a dozen ways in Android, but you didn't say what you use.  Emailing it is probably easiest, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Flathead

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
ok. forgive my ignorance. When i hit 'save as' and convert it into a document, i only get the cover and the table of contents saved.
Can someone please tell me how i would save the whole manual in one file and then how would i download it to my smartphone other than attaching it to an email and sending it to myself?

Thanks,

Bill

Here you go... hyperlinked index does not work but it's all in one document.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
Here you go... hyperlinked index does not work but it's all in one document.

Oh, I didn't even think to just post it directly.  Guess he can ignore my PM.

Flathead

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
Oh, I didn't even think to just post it directly.  Guess he can ignore my PM.
No worries, before the crash I had put together the 08-10 years and posted them up. Had it handy on my hard drive :)

Offline xKLR

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
I burned the owners manual and shop manual pdfs to a CD-R and tossed it in the tank bag for emergencies. I haven't needed it so far.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
I burned the owners manual and shop manual pdfs to a CD-R and tossed it in the tank bag for emergencies. I haven't needed it so far.

So you must always carry a laptop with you too? ???
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
Hmm, it would appear Kawasaki is being jerks and not offering the entire thing as one PDF.  Instead, they are breaking it up into pieces with this link:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1707&lang_code=EN

You would have to click on every HTML link they have, which pulls up 15 separate files or something, then use a utility to knit them together.   Well, I already have the file in one, so I just private messaged you a link to it.

That depends on how "smart" your phone is.  I have a dozen ways in Android, but you didn't say what you use.  Emailing it is probably easiest, though.

got it. Thank you.

Bill

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
I think that mine is either in the house or the truck. Haven't seen it in a while.

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:52 AM »
I think that mine is either in the house or the truck. Haven't seen it in a while.

Mine is just above my desk so that I can refer to it when needed.  I take it on long trips but it stays in the home for short runs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GMan

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
I keep mine in a baggy under the seat similar to my other bikes.  There is room in front of the tool kit.  It's just sitting there but doesn't move around and it doesn't seem to interfere with the seat latching.

Offline jdanek

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »
My Sargeant seat has a storage compartment that holds the user manual with some room to spare.

stock picture ...

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
Thanks Flathead.

I downloaded the manual to my lap top and saved it to my "documents", then attached it to an email to my self and opened it on my I phone under saved mail. Now all i have to do is go to my saved mail and it's right thereon my phone if I need it. Would be cool if there is a way to move it to an app or the notes.