Author Topic: rear end fluid change  (Read 22482 times)

Offline connie14boy

Re: rear end fluid change
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
Wow.  Even my second change it was just grey, and that was after 3 years and more than double your miles.

That was my problem too, I couldn't find any straight weight locally, even something of questionable quality.  Plenty of multi weights, though...  I decided to go synthetic because, well, why not?  Looks like a single quart will go a long way (6 changes).

Oh, I said I had no problems, but that isn't completely accurate... I did have one mystery.  I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago when washing the bike, I noticed a smear of grease on the wheel hub (photo attached).  I wiped it off with a paper towel and it hasn't come back.  I am not sure if it actually came from the differential but it certainly looks like it.

A slight overfill will cause that little leak- it stops when the overfilled oil is all leaked out.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
yes the old oil was smelly and brown.

When you say that your rear end lube is smelly and brown, shouldn't an "Easy boys" have been included?  :o
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
When you say that your rear end lube is smelly and brown, shouldn't an "Easy boys" have been included?  :o

Well not until NOW!!
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2016, 05:41:43 AM »
A slight overfill will cause that little leak- it stops when the overfilled oil is all leaked out.

Probably true, but the last time I filled it was 2 years ago.  Any overfill correction should have happened many, many moons ago...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »
Probably true, but the last time I filled it was 2 years ago.  Any overfill correction should have happened many, many moons ago...

Oh.....I forgot you don't ride a lot of miles.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
Snip...

(I really need to get around to bleeding the hydraulics)

WTH? I thought that you were gonna go this a couple of weeks ago?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
The service manual says 160cc but it takes the patience of a saint to get 160cc in it. I have yet to not struggle with that.  Are you guys putting 160cc in or just filling it till it appears full?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
Oh.....I forgot you don't ride a lot of miles.

I ride as many as I have time for... which is more than what gets put on the car.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
WTH? I thought that you were gonna go this a couple of weeks ago?

I bought the speed bleeder, I bought the fluid, I started reading about it in the factory manual and then chickened out.  I really want my mechanic friend to help, but he is always busy.  At some point I am going to just try.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
The service manual says 160cc but it takes the patience of a saint to get 160cc in it. I have yet to not struggle with that.  Are you guys putting 160cc in or just filling it till it appears full?

I have no idea at all how much is going in.  I fill it to the thread, then wait a few minutes and it can hold a tiny bit more, and then it doesn't seem to change much, if any, after that.  I hope I am giving it enough.  I guess it would be a good idea to use a graduated container or syringe to know if something was wrong (but I had neither).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 07:05:18 AM »
I bought the speed bleeder, I bought the fluid, I started reading about it in the factory manual and then chickened out.  I really want my mechanic friend to help, but he is always busy.  At some point I am going to just try.

The brakes are easy to do, it's the clutch that can be a problem. I had issues with air getting into the clutch lines but I eventually worked it out.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
But if it goes in clear and comes out black, then it needs to be changed more frequently until something changes.  It's a new bike, but 5-year holdover.

Update on this comment from me. I was investigating what appeared to be a gear oil leak since there was some spotting on the wheel.

I couldn't find a source of leaking, so I decided to see what the gear oil looked like after only 544 miles. Opening the fill cap, I found the level where I left it. It was a dark gray color, so I drained and refilled. This is what came out.

I put just enough to cover the bottom of a styrofoam cup and also new oil for comparison.

Then I turned both cups on their sides and coated the cup walls with the oil.

This is 544 miles in two days.... like 80 and 460 right after a change. I don't know if this is normal or not. It can be seen from my beaker that full is about 135-140cc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:44:33 PM by DaddyFlip »
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
Once you get 6k miles on it, and have changed the lube a few times, that color will go away...
The goober on the wheel is likley just moly lube slung out from the spline coupler in the rim.

Also, they apply the same black moly past to the rear drive gears in the housing, at assembly, and it makes the lube very black, but it also protects the gears during the crtitical break in...

After 4 or 5 changes you will see it all clear up.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »
It was a dark gray color, so I drained and refilled. This is what came out.

h--p://forum.cog-online.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=1735

FYI- photo links from the "other" forum don't show here....  just nada.  Didn't even know you posted links until they were quoted in my reply

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
I have to agree with everything you said MOB. Thank you for that reassurance. Actually, now that I think about it, when I changed the tires at 2400 miles ago, I used Valvoline Crimson HD grease on the splines. I bet that has something to do with the wheel goober. What's the best spline grease?

That's funny, I could see the pics on my tablet at home and now I'm on my phone and I see them. I don't think it matters where images are posted, but I could be wrong. I actually posted them there thinking this thread was there. Then I came to my (better) senses.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
No pics here either.
Wayne

That's funny, I could see the pics on my tablet at home and now I'm on my phone and I see them. I don't think it matters where images are posted, but I could be wrong. I actually posted them there thinking this thread was there. Then I came to my (better) senses.
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »

You have an active login and cookies set from the other site, that is why you can see them here.  If you want us to see them, you will have to link to a site that doesn't require an account, or upload them directly (much preferred, since they will never just disappear).  Otherwise, we will just use our imaginations! :)

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
Of course I want y'all to see! I don't trust your imaginings after the blanking, blinking, blinker debacle!  ;D Repaired the original with pics hosted here. Thanks for that instruction. Won't happen again.

Update on this comment from me. I was investigating what appeared to be a gear oil leak since there was some spotting on the wheel.

I couldn't find a source of leaking, so I decided to see what the gear oil looked like after only 544 miles. Opening the fill cap, I found the level where I left it. It was a dark gray color, so I drained and refilled. This is what came out.

I put just enough to cover the bottom of a styrofoam cup and also new oil for comparison.

Then I turned both cups on their sides and coated the cup walls with the oil.

This is 544 miles in two days.... like 80 and 460 right after a change. I don't know if this is normal or not. It can be seen from my beaker that full is about 135-140cc.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 02:56:55 PM »
I can definitely see why you were concerned!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 05:05:19 AM »
I have to agree with everything you said MOB. Thank you for that reassurance. Actually, now that I think about it, when I changed the tires at 2400 miles ago, I used Valvoline Crimson HD grease on the splines. I bet that has something to do with the wheel goober. What's the best spline grease?

Honda Moly 60 is supposed to be the best but it may not be available any longer.