Author Topic: ZX14 bars fit '11 Concours?  (Read 7045 times)

Offline silvermane

ZX14 bars fit '11 Concours?
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »
Due to major mid-back surgeries over the years, I find it very painful to ride upright.  I am one of the few that the sport-bike position is most comfortable.  I was hoping the stock slightly forward position on the Concours would be okay, but it hasn't :(  I can find risers for the bike but not lowering.  I heard today someone had a similar situation and was able to utilize stock ZX14 bars. Any input?
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: ZX14 bars fit '11 Concours?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:56 AM »
Not sure about the ZX-14 bars, but there has been at least one person that has lowered the stock risers (somewhere around 1-2 inches IIRC).

I can't find the thread at the moment but I am sure someone can post up with their findings.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline AftonJay

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
I think the ZX uses a clip on type bar and different upper triple clamp, the Concours has bars that bolt to the upper triple clamp.  If you could raise the forks up through you could probably put any clip on type bar you wanted as long as it was designed for the concours fork diameter it wouldnt necessarily have to be from a ZX.  But you would have to pull the forks up through the clamps quite a bit (i cant rember for sure but it seems like the forks dont come up much through stock) so you would probably need to also lower the rear suspension or you would probaly have a mess handling wise.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
I wonder if it would be possibly to convert to some kind of standard handlebar setup like the FZ1 uses.  Seems like all you would have to do is figure out how to build or adapt some clamps to hold the bars.  It would give you the freedom to use any kind of flat or motocross style bars. 

'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
ZX 14 bars won't fit the C-14 without substantial and in my opinion, unreasonable modification to the bike, triple clamp and a host of other parts such as the ignition switch housing, etc.

A couple of folks have had the stanchions of the bars on a C-14 cut down and welded back together and it seems to have been successful.

There are two aftermarket handlebar setups for the C-14 that I know of; one is the LSL kit that basically converts a C-14 to use a standard tubular handlebar. You could change the handlebar itself to adjust height, placement, etc. The other setup is from Helibars and is fully adjustable. Both are expensive and the Helibars system is really expensive but it is fully adjustable for height, angle, droop, etc. and is a very high quality device. There are forum members who have used both and seem to have been satisfied with them after use.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=387

http://www.helibars.com/product/new-multi-adjustable-handlebars-c14

Brian

Due to major mid-back surgeries over the years, I find it very painful to ride upright.  I am one of the few that the sport-bike position is most comfortable.  I was hoping the stock slightly forward position on the Concours would be okay, but it hasn't :(  I can find risers for the bike but not lowering.  I heard today someone had a similar situation and was able to utilize stock ZX14 bars. Any input?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
Kudos to the LSLs.  I think Gary (Murphs) may send the riser adapter without the bars.  Absolutely solid setup.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
You can cut them down and tig them back together. Any custom metal fabrication shop should be able to handle it. A custom bike shop would probably be more in tune with what you want and more willing to take on the project. Along with shortening them you could also change the angle and pull back of the grips. Post up some before and afters pic of your solution. 

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:58:39 AM »
I cut a 1 inch peice from the base of the stanchions and had a machine shop weld them back together. Here is mine vs stock:

You could take another 1/2 inch off before you start hitting the fairing at full lock.

Offline silvermane

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
I think you are on the right track there jonathan.  I'm sure keeping the correct grip's angle was critical here.  Anybody have an extra set laying around?
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
I think you are on the right track there jonathan.  I'm sure keeping the correct grip's angle was critical here.  Anybody have an extra set laying around?

You should post a thread in the wanted section, I'm sure somebody that converted over to the LSL or new Heli bars has some oem ones collecting dust in their garage...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Uh, well, why yes, yes I do!!  Make an offer.  Shipping would be from 98367 (Port Orchard, WA).  Keep in mind, they are silver, thus vastly quicker then say a black set ;D
I'm fixing to leave for the weekend so I may not respond till Sunday evening, but if the offers fair consider it done, heck, I trust Jay (ZG), if he finds it OK so do I.