Author Topic: PLEASE - No oil thread complaints. Just wondering what grade you are using  (Read 12319 times)

Offline pcaddict66

Hi.
At the risk of getting a "beat-down" for creating another oil thread, I have to ask........ What grade of oil do you guys use? I have been exclusively using 10w-40 due to the owner's manual recommendation. I always did my own changes, but when I recently took my 2008 in for new tires, brake pads, throttle body sync, valve adjust, plugs, etc. I had them do the oil change while it was there. He looked at me funny when I said "use 10w-40 semi synthetic. He told me that he had always used 20w-50 weight in all 4 strokes exclusively. He said that the heavier weight was better for me, especially since the Connie runs hot with the enclosed fairing and that I should at least use it from May through September here in New England. He felt that if I was a die hard cold weather rider then use the 10w-40 from September to April. He felt the engine would be better protected on those hot June, July & August days.

What are you guys using? What do you think? Why would Kawasaki say 10w-40?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
If the clutch is working smoothly I see know harm.

Offline fmwhit

10w40 castrol dino oil for me.  if the ambient temp gets really warm I have used 20w50.  Both work well for me.

Fred

Offline Elfmaze

Ahhh but the question you really wanted to ask is synthetic or or Dino-juice?    :feedback:

Kiding, kiding.    But really,   If Mama Kawi gives you a list such as SAE 10W-40 API SG, SH,SJ,SL,or SM with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2........  Why second guess her?  with how complex the GTR is, I doubt the mechanic has a PHD in Petroleum Engineering. 

Some really smart people made that book that says 10W-40.  I hate when mechanics toss in there own 2 cents on what they think is best for my bike.  Like mama Kawi is trying to screw us over or something.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
You can use either one. Take a look in the owner's manual, or if you have one, the service manual, and you will see there is a chart that is based on temperature. I live in New England, use 10W-40 and 15W-40 all year round but there is nothing wrong with the heavier oil (20W-50) when it is warm out. I would not recommend trying to start the bike with the heavier oil when it is less than 40 F outside but most people are done riding by then anyway.

By the way, no criticism from me for starting an oil thread- we have not had one in a while. Now if you start a tire thread and KiPass thread w/in two days, you will have hit the C-14 trifecta.  ;D

Brian

Hi.
At the risk of getting a "beat-down" for creating another oil thread, I have to ask........ What grade of oil do you guys use? I have been exclusively using 10w-40 due to the owner's manual recommendation. I always did my own changes, but when I recently took my 2008 in for new tires, brake pads, throttle body sync, valve adjust, plugs, etc. I had them do the oil change while it was there. He looked at me funny when I said "use 10w-40 semi synthetic. He told me that he had always used 20w-50 weight in all 4 strokes exclusively. He said that the heavier weight was better for me, especially since the Connie runs hot with the enclosed fairing and that I should at least use it from May through September here in New England. He felt that if I was a die hard cold weather rider then use the 10w-40 from September to April. He felt the engine would be better protected on those hot June, July & August days.

What are you guys using? What do you think? Why would Kawasaki say 10w-40?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline texrider

Can't go wrong with the book!

I ride all year, and it gets pretty hot in Texas. Temps over 100 gets me into 20-50, but normally a 10-40 guy.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline BMahar

I also use Castrol 10/40 MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC oil. Do not use automobile oil in your bike.
 I also have a 2002 Blackbird that is a hot running bike and have always used Castrol 10/40 with no problems in 41,000 miles.
  Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Son of Pappy

:popcorn:

BTW, what BDF said.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
10w40  Changed from Mobil1 to Kwak dino.  I can tell the difference in the shifting until it warms up...notchy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:21:53 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

I've been running mostly 15-50 Mobil 1.  I'd really prefer to use a 10-40 or 15-40, but I can't find it in a synthetic anymore.  As Brian said, the 50 top weight is actually ok per the manual unless you get into really cold weather, and even then with a 15 bottom end you are ok unless it is REALLY cold.

I just looked at the service manual.  It shows 20-xx okay down to 32 degrees, and 10-xx down to 14 degrees.  They don't show anything below 14, so I guess they figure you have bigger concerns if you are riding below that.  For the record, my coldest riding was back "in the day" in college many (many) years ago.  I rode in 18 degree weather more than one. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Half 10W40 and half 20W50 all year for me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

Half 10W40 and half 20W50 all year for me.
You run 30W90?  Boy, do you know how to spice up a thread :o

Offline Cuda

Can't go wrong with the book!

Your right , dealer service manual says above 32 degrees 20-50 ;D
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline scooter

10w 40 here.not sure what benifit you would get mixing oil weights,the oil viscosity does not change so i guess you end up with half and half oil?

Offline Mister Tee

Motul 300V 10W 40.

I like the cool green color.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Glad you asked. The smoothest shifting and slickest clutch operation oil I have used in a C-14 is Pennzoil 10W-40 (the regular automotive oil) but it breaks down and causes notchy shifting pretty early- about 1,500 miles. Rotella 15W-40 (mineral oil, not synthetic) is pretty good shifting- wise and does not cause notchy shifting for several thousand miles but never does shift quite as smooth as the Pennzoil. So I mix the two about 50/50- great shifting and doesn't get notchy too quickly- I can easily go 4K miles on an oil change with nice shifting and clutch action. Add to that an ounce or two of a cam break- in lube to increase the ZDDP content back to where it used to (and still should) be and viola! great shifting, long lasting, a nice red color and lemony fresh. What could be better?

I've heard that if you mount a car tire on the back of the bike, and a rear motorcycle tire backwards on the front of the bike, you never have to stop again for any reason including refueling. I don't know if that is true but it sure makes sense.... with enough alcohol.

Brian

10w 40 here.not sure what benifit you would get mixing oil weights,the oil viscosity does not change so i guess you end up with half and half oil?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"

Well.....I'm not quite right in the head to begin with, and my bike shifts fantastic for many miles IMHO. I made a mistake, I run half Rotella 15W40 and the rest Castrol RS4T 20W50.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I've heard that if you mount a car tire on the back of the bike, and a rear motorcycle tire backwards on the front of the bike, you never have to stop again for any reason including refueling. I don't know if that is true but it sure makes sense.... with enough alcohol.

Brian

The only thing that makes sense above is the alcohol...

Well.....I'm not quite right in the head to begin with....

Truer words have never been spoken.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

Motul 5100 10W40 in my girl !
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I am currently using Motul v300 15W50 synthetic but for 65000 miles I have used Rotella 5w40 Synthetic. I have had  1.5 quart per 5000 miles consumption since day 1. At about 40,000 I tried Motul 7100 10W40 but there was no difference in consumption so I went back to Rotella.
The V300 is another experiment. I will order back to back analyses on the last batch of Rotella and the V300 and compare.

As for shifting, it has always been smooth and sweet, except for the  neutral to first gear clunk. I have never noticed any difference from one change to another, old or new, always 5 to 6 thousand  intervals.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.