Author Topic: HID upgrade install - Question  (Read 6476 times)

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
Re: HID upgrade install - Question
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
They should have at least sent you a brand new ballast  ???
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
They should have at least sent you a brand new ballast  ???

I would have thought so too.  Of course, the original ballast looked new but didn't work worth a crap.  As long as it works and they honor the lifetime warranty ( I think I remember there being a lifetime warranty) then I'm not going to complain at this point.  I'm just tired of changing bulbs for the time being!
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline turtle

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
I would have thought so too.  Of course, the original ballast looked new but didn't work worth a crap.  As long as it works and they honor the lifetime warranty ( I think I remember there being a lifetime warranty) then I'm not going to complain at this point.  I'm just tired of changing bulbs for the time being!

Glad to hear you finally have it sorted out.  Even though I don't quite 100% trust it in terms of reliability, I love it.  The light output is amazing.

As I have read through this post and tried to recall my experience, I think I did everything with them through email.  I could never reach them on the phone.  It is a lifetime warranty, but I am surprised they made you go through all those hoops before just replacing your ballast.  They should have sent you a new one right away.  I know a number of people with their kits and when they have failed it has always been the ballast, so it can't be much of a mystery to DDM that the ballasts aren't as robust as they could be.
Bill
COG #1916
2001 C10 (lots of mods)

Offline mlf73

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
Glad to hear you finally have it sorted out.  Even though I don't quite 100% trust it in terms of reliability, I love it.  The light output is amazing.

As I have read through this post and tried to recall my experience, I think I did everything with them through email.  I could never reach them on the phone.  It is a lifetime warranty, but I am surprised they made you go through all those hoops before just replacing your ballast.  They should have sent you a new one right away.  I know a number of people with their kits and when they have failed it has always been the ballast, so it can't be much of a mystery to DDM that the ballasts aren't as robust as they could be.

I did all of my dealings with DDM through their website/email as well.  They were generally pretty responsive so I don't really have any complaints as far as communication.  I explained to the tech who helped me from the very beginning that a forum member had the exact same problem/symptoms with one of the DDM kits as me and that it was a ballast issue.  I guess maybe he was just bound and determined to prove that it was something other than the ballast.  I love the light from the HID as well but I'm still going to carry my old H4 bulb in the storage compartment on the bike just in case of a failure on the road some day.  It wouldn't be fun but I could install the H4 if I needed to.

Marlan
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »
I install HID on all C-14's I work on or upgrade...4300K is what I like best because of the pure white bright light.....never had an issue with failure of any light part yet....

I have a spare set I don't need for sale if anyone needs a reliable set......$150.00 after you see them in operation you will never go back to stock lighting...looks like a flashlight with run down batteries...stock bulbs compared to HID.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
I pulled my HID, I ride too much at night to worry about Lucas style electrics. Besides, my ff200 Hella driving lights completely overwhelm what the 55w HID put out on high beam. It quit working, I yanked it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)