Author Topic: Credit card fraud  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Conrad

Credit card fraud
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »
I received a call and an e-mail from a farm supply company in Nebraska wanting to know if I had ordered a livestock killing device that was to be shipped to someplace in New York for $1,200. They had to google my name in order to get my work phone number and my e-mail address.

Um, no.

It seems that the person who tried to buy this thing from the company's website had all of my CC info, including the super secret 3 digit code from the back of the card. The company thought the order smelled fishy and called the contact number that the crook had given them. The company tried to get some additional info from the guy and he hung up on them. Moments later the crook tried to order from their website again, using another name and CC number, same item shipped to the same re-shipper's address. The company never ran the cards.

The CC in question was newly issued to me in 9/11 and I've only used it a handful of times since then. All but one of these uses was paying at the pump at gas stations. The one time that I used it online was buying parts for my hot tub, this was from a company in Utah that I've purchased from many times in the past. I called this company and told them what happened. They swear up and down that there's no way for anyone to get my CC info from them, except for the last 4 digits of the CC number.

So how did the crook get my CC number, the exp date, the code from the back of the card, and my name? Of course I called the CC company and informed them, they canceled the card and started an investigation.

The farm supply company gave me the phone number that the crook supplied them with. I called it, no answer (surprise!), but it was one of those Magic Jack numbers.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
Re: Credit card fraud
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Sounds to me like someone in Utah has a crooked employee.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
So by googling your name they found your work ph # and e-mail?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
A co-worker of mine had hers lifted at a Walmart gas station......then it was used in the very same Walmart!   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
So by googling your name they found your work ph # and e-mail?

Yep.

They tried to locate the other name that the crook used but didn't get any hits.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
My but you're popular.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »

We were taken for 350 in Toledo & Dearborn.....Shocker-think about it. Then believe it or not at a Christmas tree place here in town :o :o. We got back all funds-but got the tree hit b/c Huntington told us to NOT close the account for a few weeks until the could redress the issue.
     Funny thing was when we got the Toledo thing I told the bank about Dearborn.....before they got us there.
    They explained that the perps must have made a physical card-I know (and told her so) that the info got out by my wifes indiscriminate X-mas shopping for grandkids online.
          Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
My but you're popular.

Well, when you got it you got it, seems they wanted some of it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
Maybe it was Kurt?  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Here kitty kitty kitty...  :deadhorse: :stirpot:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:32 PM »
Chase fraud protection is rather effective.

Chase texted me in February to confirm a $510 order from www.oil-paintings.ch.  Take note of the web site domain (China).

When I called back to deny the charge, I first talked to a rep in the Philippines who spoke English well and quickly cancelled my card. Chase issued a new one overnight.  Yes, overnight FedEx.  Of course they want you buying again quickly.

I will have to notify Chase in June that I will be riding into foreign territory for the Nationals.  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
I had someone hit two of my cards in the same day.  One was my regular card that gets used daily.  The second was one I was not even aware I had.  It has been impossible to try to think of any sort of connection between these two since I did not lose possession of either card, or may wallet.

The only thing that tied these two together would have been my credit bureau report.....I think the a-holes have access to much more than we can even imagine.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
Hey Conrad glad you got the heads up on this. Lot's of companies would have just run the card and shipped the merchandise. You did the right thing by cancelling the card. Who knows how the bad guy got your number. Credit Card fraud is so common around the world that we all have to be super vigilant with our accounts. I review my accounts on a daily basis. If anything even smells a little funny I start making phone calls. I'm glad the bad guy got shut down this time.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
I remember recently (within the last 2-3 weeks) reading about a credit card processor which had their database hacked, which affected several million users.  Fortunately for me, I recently changed my debit card numbers for an unrelated matter, so no worries there.

There are several ways people can get credit card numbers from you these days.  From what I've read, the RFID signal from your card can be remotely scanned, giving the crooks the info they need to give you a bad day.  Simply using an ATM or card reader with one of these scanners hidden in close proximity will work, and I've read that they can even just scan the signal while the card is in your wallet.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

And then there are all of those bored Eastern European/Asian/other hackers that have nothing better to do than resell any information they can get their hands on on the black market.

Also, there may be undetected malware at work on your computer, so if you do online transactions with your card, there is always the chance that a keyboard sniffer may detect your information and then quietly send it out in a small packet to the bad guys while you are online.  The place you placed your order through could have a similar infiltration on their system, capturing the information on their end before it gets deleted from their system.

Newer cards are not supposed to include the CCV number or your name in the rfid signal, but if you've had your card for a while, it might not hurt to get it replaced.  You already have someone engaging in fraudulent activities with your card, so I'm sure your bank will have no problem issuing you a new number.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »
Thanks guys.

As I said, this is a new card as of 9/11. I've used it exactly 6 times. 5 times at the local truck stop filling up my Jetta with diesel, paying at the same pump each time and once online. I'm thinking that the numbers must have been taken at the local truck stop. I know that it's a thin connection but since the crook(s) used my card to buy a cattle killing device it makes more sense to me that its truck related. As I said, that's thin but who knows?

I spoke with my CC company's fraud people twice yesterday. One told me that the security code from the back of the card is NOT embedded in the card's mag strip and the other told me that it is. This is the part that throws me for a loop, the crook had the 3 digit code from the back of the card.

Cmore,

Yeah, that's a good company. Not only stoipping the charge before it happened but then going above and beyond in tracking me down to let me know what was up. I told them that too.

ManWorkinghere,

I have a Chase card too, not the one that was compromised, and the fraud protection is top notch as you mentioned. I'm amazed at how fast I am notified of a charge to that card. I've bought stuff online with that card many times and there have been a few times that I've clicked the order button and within 5 seconds received a notification from Chase of the purchase.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
If you use your card to buy gas at three different stations and tennis shoes in one day, you might be flagged for credit card fraud.

Heard that from American Express some time ago.... 
Kids buying gas and shoes they cannot afford is a tip off.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
After a lil more investigation. The truck stop is out.

The crook had my entire address, not just the part of it that you can get by googling my name. Address are not embedded in the magstripe but the 3 digit security code is. The crook had all my info exactly as it appears on my account from the hot tub company where I used the card. I called the company back and told them this. They say that there's no way that the info came from them. Well, they won't be getting another chance at it again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:49:08 AM by Conrad »

Offline dagofast

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
I've heard that Utah has one of the highest white collar crime rates in the country. Amazingly enough, centered right around Provo. Which always struck me as funny since Provo is one of the more concentrated spots for devout Mormons.

YMMV.