Author Topic: Water Pump???  (Read 2141 times)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Water Pump???
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »
The other day I noticed a couple of drops of oil on the garage floor...under the shifter of my '88 C10...so, I got down under the engine and examined the weep hole on the water pump...sure enough, there was oil residue around the weep hole...so, I figured I would go ahead and get the two o-rings and the oil seal to see if they would fix my problem...

So...now I have the parts in hand...and, when I took it for a little ride today...you know...to make sure it was still leaking...nada...zip...zero...zilch...nothing!  And, yes, there is oil in the engine... 

Has that ever happened to you? 

Does oil come out the weep hole if the oil level is a touch overfull?  How would this happen?  I have always been a "If it ain't broke..." kind of guy...and, I wouldn't mind if I had to stash the parts until they were needed...but, I would appreciate your input...Replace them anyway...or...Is my bike out in the garage chuckling and thinking...PSYCHE!...? :-\
'02 C-10

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: Water Pump???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
Clean the weep hole area really good, let it sit over night then check with a flashlight.
if you have to much oil it will also be leaking from the airbox.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
I'd wait till it was leaking not just oil, but coolant as well.

That way when you replace the pump, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that the old one was damn good broke before you replaced it.   ;)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »

That way when you replace the pump, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that the old one was damn good broke before you replaced it.   ;)

Sounds like a plan!  I love to be satisfied! ;)
'02 C-10

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

I wouldn't. You could leak a boatload of oil waiting for it to start leaking coolant as well. The oil seal on the engine side is a fairly common, and easy thing to fix. When I pulled mine a few years back, the oil seal had pushed out of position, and that was the cause of the leak. Clean the seal bore nicely and put the new one in with a couple of drops of locktite to keep it in place. There may be something better to use, but that's what I used and it has been OK for thousands of miles since.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »
Mines been leaking a drip or two of oil for years. I have a new pump to install but can't bring myself to do it for one or two drips. I've been waiting for some more significant signs of failure. Maybe not the best way to go but so far so good.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »
I've had this issue. 

A few things to note - if it is a small leak, many times there will be no drippage on the ground because the drip will evaporate after hitting the exhaust.  You can detect the smell but can't see smoke in daylight.  In dark, bike hot, stand back and shine flashlight beam thru the air space above that side of bike and you may see smoke.

Oil will be more likely to drip out if bike is parked using the sidestand because the hot oil will then submerge the seal area.  With bike level on sidestand  the oil level may not reach the seal if the oil level is lower than the top of your window.

I used a socket which was slightly larger than the inner side of the outer ring, and the socket had a slight taper on the outside edge.  I used a vice and gently pressed the socket into the seal a little to expand the outside sealing surface slightly, and then pressed the seal into the pump.  I verified the O.D. of seal had been expanded by checking with calipers.

You don't have to drain engine oil to change seal, IF you are careful and lean the bike to the right some.  Not real far, just far enough to get the oil level window to show no oil, or approx.  Been a few years so can't remember exactly how far I had to lean it.  Anyhow, leave the bike in gear, block the tires and then hook a tie down strap from the left handlebar to something solid, then begin to lean bike to right.  I also had the wall or something on the right side to catch the bike just in case but it wasn't an issue.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
Go for it.  New O-Rings and oil seal solved my WP oil seep.  Cost about $20.  Its really not that hard of a job.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
Ditto about the oil possibly disipating when running for a small leak.  I'd clean the area real good again, then, (with the bike on the centerstand) watch the hole with the engine running. Thats how I confirmed mine when it didn't seem consistently leaking.
The pump seems to be the most common oil leaker, but who knows, it may not be the pump, but something else in the area?
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
I replaced the seals on mine over 4 years ago and haven't had any problems yet, i just can not stand oil leaks, The water pump may not fail for many years, my bike has 73k

1986 California Connie 87k and counting