Author Topic: 2012 Concours with an oil leak  (Read 15140 times)

Offline StPeteKawi

2012 Concours with an oil leak
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »
Hi all, new to the forum, but I have been hanging out and reading for months. I purchased a Black 2012, in Jan., and only have 2400 miles on it, I noticed the other day that I have an oil leak on the left side of the bike, the oil is accumulating on the extreme lower faring on the left side, it's not a serious leak as it's not dripping on the garage floor or anything, but it does need wiped off every couple of days, and there's no noticeable drop in oil level.

Two questions, anyone have any ideas what the leak may be from? I realize that it's nearly impossible to tell without looking at the bike and tearing into it, but I was wondering whether there was a common cause? The second question is, that I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida and I'm not sure which of the local shops would be the best to take it to for repairs? I'm not one to trust just anyone to work on my bikes dealer or not!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I thank you all in advance!

Walt
2012 Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2012 Concours with an oil leak
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
Typically it's a valve cover leak but you'll really need to take off some of the plastic bits to see for sure.  The valve cover may be loose or the gasket just misaligned from the plant.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline StPeteKawi

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »
Thanks Jim, I kind of figured that's what it might be from all that I've read here, but wondered wheterthere was an issue common to the 2012's. I'm really tempted to tear into it myself this weekend.
2012 Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
It can happen on all models, all years, using that particular engine and not just the C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »
I thought black bikes were supposed to mark their territory? ;D

Breaker19

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum, but I have been hanging out and reading for months. I purchased a Black 2012, in Jan., and only have 2400 miles on it, I noticed the other day that I have an oil leak on the left side of the bike, the oil is accumulating on the extreme lower faring on the left side, it's not a serious leak as it's not dripping on the garage floor or anything, but it does need wiped off every couple of days, and there's no noticeable drop in oil level.

Two questions, anyone have any ideas what the leak may be from? I realize that it's nearly impossible to tell without looking at the bike and tearing into it, but I was wondering whether there was a common cause? The second question is, that I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida and I'm not sure which of the local shops would be the best to take it to for repairs? I'm not one to trust just anyone to work on my bikes dealer or not!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I thank you all in advance!

Walt

Walt, it's at '12, so it's under warrantee. Just take it up to Cycle Springs in Clearwater. I just bought my '12 there, although their sales side is disorganized in my opinion, I really liked their service guys... I'm in Bradenton, by the way.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
Warranty is your friend.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »
Tampa here.

I had a Zx14 went in for warranty so many times for oil weeps.  I traded it back in to a dealership at the end of the warranty because I couldn't sell that crap bike to a person.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
The left side of the fairing also houses some breather tubes/overflow tubes.  Are any of them moist? Just another possibilty.
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline StPeteKawi

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:39 AM »
I'll have to take a look at the breather hoses this evening after work, thanks Painkiller.

2012 Black

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
I just noticed my '09 is dripping a very small amount of both oil and gas from the two vent tubes that exit by the side stand. Last week I suspected it was one of my friends just messing with me by dripping just enough oil under my bike to worry me but yesterday it had a few drips on the ground again and I felt the tubes. One was slightly wet with oil and the other was wet with gas. Not sure why it's dripping now. Only thing I can think of is both days had a big swing in temps. Rode in around 40 degrees and left work near 80 degrees. It sets in full sun in the parking lot. It has never dripped in my garage.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline StPeteKawi

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Mine has puked a little gas out of the breather tube a couple of times, but I never noticed any oil til I found some on the plastic almost directly below the radiator, I'm certain that it's running down there from somewhere else.
2012 Black

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
If you fill the C14 to the rim it will puke some gas that by the time it hits the ground appears to be gas/oil
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
My 08 has caps on both those "reservoirs", I guess it was to stay "Green".... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
I just noticed my '09 is dripping a very small amount of both oil and gas from the two vent tubes that exit by the side stand. Last week I suspected it was one of my friends just messing with me by dripping just enough oil under my bike to worry me but yesterday it had a few drips on the ground again and I felt the tubes. One was slightly wet with oil and the other was wet with gas. Not sure why it's dripping now. Only thing I can think of is both days had a big swing in temps. Rode in around 40 degrees and left work near 80 degrees. It sets in full sun in the parking lot. It has never dripped in my garage.

Matt

Happens to me from time to time.  I don't worry about it.  It's marking it's territory.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Yeah but my bikes leaking put them in the same class i consider hardly-ablesons.

And even HD has fixed their design here lately

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »
I too have rencently purchased a 2012 Concours and I have 1400 miles on it and I found a spot the size of a silver dollar of gas oil mix.  I took it to the dealer and they tore all the plastic off and every where it could be leaking from it was dry didnt check the drain hoses but I like to really top off gas and the first oil change was 4.5 quarts of full synthetic oil. That oil change seemed to be a lot of oil that the connie consumed. So if its like your saying too much gas and oil and they drain from the same spot then that explains the mix.  I guess no more to the brim on fill ups and watch the sight glass for oil changes and hopefully problem solved.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
If it was down near the side stand then it's 'normal', unfortunately.   The capacity of the engine for oil is 4.2 quarts, approximately.  4.5 might be a tad too much if that's what they put in.  Depending on how hot the day is and how much fuel is in the tank you may get the dripping around the side stand.

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
Are you 100% positive its oil? Mine is new (2012) noticed the same. After closer inspection, its coolant. Probably just a bit of overflow.

Offline mike

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Hey StPeteKawi, I'm in St. Pete also. Take it to St. Petersburg Powerports & have Mike or Dave work on it. Either of those guys will do a great job.