Author Topic: Big Trip Tire Question  (Read 9356 times)

Offline Astrobob

Re: Big Trip Tire Question
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
Valkmc, I am with several who suggest changing out your tires to PR3's just before your trip. You will not believe how much nicer your 2009 will handle. I changed my 021's at 1K on my 2009 and could not believe how much more pleasant the bike steered. PR3's will also be good for the wet weather you are likely to encounter in the far Northwest.

Offline comet

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
Any opinions????

Sounds like fun.

I don't know your exact route plan, but the local dealer in Longview, Washington (Pro-Caliber) sold me a set of PR3s for $279 last month. Mounting/balance added another $67 to the deal. 

Rain is always a consideration in the Pac NW- even during the summer months. I can't speak to ultimate handling or wear issues with this tire, but I would definitely recommend them from a wet weather rider standpoint.

Another former Valk owner wishing you the best of luck on your trip.  :thumbs:

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:53 AM »
That was a great deal! I wish I was 3000 miles closer.
Joel from Maine.

valkmc

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
Is there a difference between the PR 2 and the PR 2CT? I will be putting on a new set prior to leaving after contacting several dealers in Wyoming and Montana and getting quotes. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
The PR 2CT is softer and won't last as long. From what I've heard. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
Is there a difference between the PR 2 and the PR 2CT? I will be putting on a new set prior to leaving after contacting several dealers in Wyoming and Montana and getting quotes.

There is only one Pilot Road 2...it is different from a Power 2CT...and will last longer...if that is what you're asking...
'02 C-10

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
Yes, I have gotten 16K + miles out of three (3) sets of PR2s and all still had tread when they were changed. Different areas of the country may have very different roads though and that could greatly change tire life. Also the temperatures here are never really high and that will also make a great difference in tire life; I think people who live in hotter climates, such as the southern US, have greater tire wear.

As someone else mentioned, the roads in AK may be pretty rough and that is also going to reduce tire life.

Using a very hard compound tire such as a touring tire (not a sport- touring tire) would probably be the easiest way to get the longest tire life but I have not heard of anyone using one of those on a C-14 so have no knowledge of how they would perform.

Brian

I had gotten 17,000 miles on my PR2s and I think BDF (Brian) has gotten about the same results. If I buy a different tire next time it would be a PR3. I also got over 11,000 on the stock tires and the rear is still good enough for a spare. And I got over 12,000 on the Dunlops with a front that is good enough for a spare. PR2s wore out very evenly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

valkmc

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, just ordered a set of PR 2s. $259 free shipping. I have not changed my own in years but I am thinking of breaking out the tools. I will check some of the local shops and see what the will charge if I bring in the wheels off the bike. Anyway we will find out this summer if they will last 11,000 miles...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Just a quick bump. I reread this thread and cracked up at the 5 figure mileage people are getting. :o

I'll mount a set of tires, and be lucky to make it three days before they're wasted. I run 41 PSI front and rear.

I can still tip-toe to work and back with them, but they're shot and need replaced after a weekend of riding.

Ride your bikes, Girls. What are you, 90? ;)

Offline RED121572

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Angel ST's. I got just over 11k out of my last set.
06' FJR1300
--------------
"Something is not quite stirring the kool-aid"
-IBA 47245-

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
I might get that out of a front, but haven't yet.

More like 6K.

I've tried them all. If I get 3,000 miles out of a rear tire, I'm happy.

Offline PH14

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
I might get that out of a front, but haven't yet.

More like 6K.

I've tried them all. If I get 3,000 miles out of a rear tire, I'm happy.

What kind of pressure do you run? That is seriously low if you ask me. On my RC51 i would sometimes get that but not with sport touring tires on the C14.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
41 front and rear. ;)

Offline Z71

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
I hope that walkmc is back from his trip by now.   ;)

Offline W14

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »
Was thinking the same, hope he posts something about his trip