Author Topic: no bags  (Read 15022 times)

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
Re: no bags
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
I agree. I think the bike looks better with bags on vs bags off. But i bought it has the ability to have stuff on me all the time. Living in florida u want rain gear all the time!

+1 - I've even added the Coocase trunk...I like having something to keep my crap in.  I have a tankbag in the trunk that I use as an organizer so everything doesn't fly around, and if I need even more storage, I stick the tank bag on the tank where it belongs. 

My left bag is usually empty, except for my clear faceshield, the right bag has rain gear and tools (always put raingear on the RIGHT side, so you don't get clipped when you pull over!).

This bike is my primary transportation when I'm not with the family...and yes, I still find time to clean it regularly. too.  :)
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
In Kalifornia, its nice to share lanes with no bags. While the mirrors are wider, it still makes it easier and less stressful to share with the bags off. Plus the bike looks a lot sportier and yes Razzi is very vain.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 07:33:10 AM »
I almost always ride without the bags, but do have a trunk now so I don't need to ride with a tankbag or tank and tailbags.

Takes about 10 seconds each to get the bags on or off.

Oh, and in my mind, if you plan on riding without the bags the majority of the time, you need an aftermarket exhaust.  The stock can is just too big!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
In Kalifornia, its nice to share lanes with no bags. While the mirrors are wider, it still makes it easier and less stressful to share with the bags off. Plus the bike looks a lot sportier and yes Razzi is very vain.

I find that the bags give me zero stress compared to the mirrors, particulary given that the turning pivot point on a motorcycle is the rear wheel.  The "wiggle factor" causes the mirrors to be wider than they are, and the bags to be no more wide that they are during turning movements.

Offline danl

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
I mostly ride with them on as I carry more junk than needed, especially this time of year when it can be cold when you start, then get warm and you want to shed or add layers and change up gloves.  I just got a tank bag so some of the things I stored in the saddlebags (eyeglass case for prescription sunglasses, etc) can go in there now, so I'll probably ride more without them now. I think the bike looks good either way, potato launcher and all.

I took an old helmet bag and put my rain gear, some extra gloves and some other stuff like that in there to help keep the saddlebag more organized. I have that and my tire repair kit in that bag, the other one is empty to store my helmet when I stop on the road.

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I find that the bags give me zero stress compared to the mirrors, particulary given that the turning pivot point on a motorcycle is the rear wheel.  The "wiggle factor" causes the mirrors to be wider than they are, and the bags to be no more wide that they are during turning movements.

I found out the "hard way" that the mirrors don't stick out as far as the bags...ugh...scratched one already, dammit.

You know why cats have whiskers?  So they know that their bodies can fit wherever their heads go...kinda thought the mirrors were to be my guide as well...dammit!   :)
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
I found out the "hard way" that the mirrors don't stick out as far as the bags...ugh...scratched one already, dammit.

You know why cats have whiskers?  So they know that their bodies can fit wherever their heads go...kinda thought the mirrors were to be my guide as well...dammit!   :)

Incorrect, measure it. The widest part of your bike is your mirrors, not your bags.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
Incorrect, measure it. The widest part of your bike is your mirrors, not your bags.

Sure looks like it's the bags!  I believe you, but it still looks like the bags are wider. Maybe just because of the overall size of them?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
Yes they are intimidating.
Nice avatar by the way.   ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
Bags are on most of the time. I also pinned them, just because, but that only adds about 5 seconds to the bag removal. I keep jacket liner, rain gear, clear shield, etc. in my left bag. I keep a ball cap (to protect my helmetless head from the elements when I get off) in the right side. I also have a small bag that I pack my essentials in when on a weekend trip. Gives me a place to put "stuff". My sport bike buddies often like to use me for the pack mule for their jacket liners, which I don't mind, and I also end up carrying bottles of wine when we're on our Hill Country runs.

I have an expandable tank bag from Cycle Gear that I used as a tail pack on the few occasions that I decide to pull the side bags. I just need a place to store that ball cap.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
Damn wally, must have a big head if it takes a whole bag to hold your cap. :)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »
Damn wally, must have a big head if it takes a whole bag to hold your cap. :)
Pull out the cap, put in the helmet. The right bag carries both of my lids, just not at the same time.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold