Author Topic: How should a proper suspension setup feel?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline bhodge10

How should a proper suspension setup feel?
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
I know this is completely subjective and based on many factors, but how should a proper suspension setup feel? I had created another thread because my front tire was kind of squirrly after changing to a new set. It was suggested that I change the suspension and it did make it feel more solid. However, I noticed that I needed to put more effort into leaning into a turn. So any input into how it should feel, super soft, super stiff (that's what she said  ;)), easy to lean into turn etc.. Thanks.

Son of Pappy

Re: How should a proper suspension setup feel?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
Smooth, not soft, not hard.  Responsive, like a good dog, no need to feel like you're arguing to get it to do what you want.
Did that help?

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
The black art of suspension set up.....

Ideally the sags should be set first, thats the amount o the suspenion settles under the bikes own weight 23 - 28mm is a good starting point, then add the rider and look for 5 - 7mm more. Compression and rebound damping will be dependant on how the bike feels following that, you dont want it slow to respond in either direction but likewise you dont want it to 'blow through' the stoke too easily.

Suspension set up is all about feel and feedback, you need to know what your tyres are doing and the level of grip you have available.

If all of the above is in the too hard basket go along to a good bike shop or a know suspension tech and for a small fee they would set it up for you. Nothing could be worse than riding a bike that is poorly set up. Personally I would spend money on improving suspension first over any other 'farkle' or tuning mod.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
The black art of suspension set up.....

Ideally the sags should be set first, thats the amount o the suspenion settles under the bikes own weight 23 - 28mm is a good starting point, then add the rider and look for 5 - 7mm more. Compression and rebound damping will be dependant on how the bike feels following that, you dont want it slow to respond in either direction but likewise you dont want it to 'blow through' the stoke too easily.

Suspension set up is all about feel and feedback, you need to know what your tyres are doing and the level of grip you have available.

If all of the above is in the too hard basket go along to a good bike shop or a know suspension tech and for a small fee they would set it up for you. Nothing could be worse than riding a bike that is poorly set up. Personally I would spend money on improving suspension first over any other 'farkle' or tuning mod.

:goodpost: :thumbs: :thumbs: