Author Topic: My TPMS saved me this morning  (Read 8681 times)

Breaker19

Re: My TPMS saved me this morning
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
I hop on the bike and head out for work. I'm keeping an eye on the readouts because the batteries are way low and they've been acting up quite a bit. (I have an appointment to have both the front and rear changed out tomorrow under warranty.) The front readout pops on, 42, perfect. I'm waiting for the rear to come up. About 5 mins later it comes on. 20? WTF? No way! The red warning light didn't even come on yet, and then it does. I pull over and hit the flashers. The tire looks fine, hmmmm. Since I'm not far from home I decide that I'd rather mess with it in my garage instead of on the side of the road in 35 mph winds. I turn around and head for home. I get into the garage and put her up on the center stand (from the left side  lol)

SOB! There it is, a wood screw smack dab in the middle of the tire. After a few more choice words I get out my sticky rope Slime kit and go to work. This is the first time that I've had to repair a tire on my C14. 5 mins later, I'm done. The Slime kit worked perfectly.   :thumbs:

So the question is, since the tire will be taken off tomorrow anyways, should I have an internal patch put on or leave it as is?

Wow, great catch! Glad it worked out for you. I just picked mine up for the dealer yesterday and they apparently didn't check the tire pressures; this morning I too went to take off and 200 feet from my house the red light came on and the front tire showed low pressure (32, I think). Both tires needed air, no problems with them though. But the system changed over to the tire pressure screen automatically as I had it on the "range" screen at that time.

Breaker19

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
I hop on the bike and head out for work. I'm keeping an eye on the readouts because the batteries are way low and they've been acting up quite a bit. (I have an appointment to have both the front and rear changed out tomorrow under warranty.) The front readout pops on, 42, perfect. I'm waiting for the rear to come up. About 5 mins later it comes on. 20? WTF? No way! The red warning light didn't even come on yet, and then it does. I pull over and hit the flashers. The tire looks fine, hmmmm. Since I'm not far from home I decide that I'd rather mess with it in my garage instead of on the side of the road in 35 mph winds. I turn around and head for home. I get into the garage and put her up on the center stand (from the left side  lol)

SOB! There it is, a wood screw smack dab in the middle of the tire. After a few more choice words I get out my sticky rope Slime kit and go to work. This is the first time that I've had to repair a tire on my C14. 5 mins later, I'm done. The Slime kit worked perfectly.   :thumbs:

So the question is, since the tire will be taken off tomorrow anyways, should I have an internal patch put on or leave it as is?

Oh, and good luck getting anyone to patch that tire, I don't know of anyone or any dealer that does that anymore for liability reasons and, perhaps possible because they want to sell a tire... ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
Wow, great catch! Glad it worked out for you. I just picked mine up for the dealer yesterday and they apparently didn't check the tire pressures; this morning I too went to take off and 200 feet from my house the red light came on and the front tire showed low pressure (32, I think).

My dealer ended up delivering mine to my house.  I could not ride it yet because it had to be lowered first.  Once it was, I checked the pressures before even riding... the dealer had inflated my tires to about 54psi!  Yeesh
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:45 AM »
Made sure the tpms was activated didn't they.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
I e'ed my dealer's tech and asked him about putting an inside patch on the tire today while he had it off. He said that he can't do that but he'd understand if I wanted to wait to get the TPMs changed out till either they got a new tire for me or that I bought one. Crap.

I asked him if he could still swap out the TPMs and balance the tire even though it was plugged, no reply yet. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »
My dealer ended up delivering mine to my house.  I could not ride it yet because it had to be lowered first.  Once it was, I checked the pressures before even riding... the dealer had inflated my tires to about 54psi!  Yeesh

When I brought my bike home the front tire had 35psi and the rear 80.    :o

I called the dealer and complained about it, he said that their machine must have malfunctioned and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Yeah right.

I think that the malfunction was elsewhere...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
I e'ed my dealer's tech and asked him about putting an inside patch on the tire today while he had it off. He said that he can't do that but he'd understand if I wanted to wait to get the TPMs changed out till either they got a new tire for me or that I bought one. Crap.

I asked him if he could still swap out the TPMs and balance the tire even though it was plugged, no reply yet.
When they have the tire off take it over to Bubba's Tire and Muffler and have them patch it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 05:26:58 AM »
When they have the tire off take it over to Bubba's Tire and Muffler and have them patch it.

There's an idea! Bubba's is right across the street. They do radiators too.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
Mine saved me last year.  Left work and got about two miles up the interstate before the alarm started screaming (visually).  Watched the pressure drop rapidly along with the quality of handling.  Made me feel better about having it as it notified me before stability became that big of an issue.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
When I brought my bike home the front tire had 35psi and the rear 80.    :o

I called the dealer and complained about it, he said that their machine must have malfunctioned and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Yeah right.

I think that the malfunction was elsewhere...

:yikes:

80??

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
I just walked out to my bike and took a hard look at the rear tire. Crap, I really should put a new one on.

Good Idea..  Oh,  and also to..........totally redeem yourself! (in Jim Carrey voice)

:)
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »

:yikes:

80??

That was my reaction too!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 05:09:53 AM »
 :'(

I removed my bags before I took the bike in to have the TPMs replaced, you know, so there's no chance of a 'mishap' at the dealer. I left them in my office at work. So what does my dumbass do on the way out after work? Bumped one of the bags against the door frame on the loading dock and put a nice scratch in it.  >:(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished.  I hate it when stuff like that happens.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »
I was so mad at myself! I could have screamed!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
:'(

I removed my bags before I took the bike in to have the TPMs replaced, you know, so there's no chance of a 'mishap' at the dealer. I left them in my office at work. So what does my dumbass do on the way out after work? Bumped one of the bags against the door frame on the loading dock and put a nice scratch in it.  >:(

:yikes:   :banghead:

That really sux C, sorry bro...  :'(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

:yikes:   :banghead:

That really sux C, sorry bro...  :'(

Thanks J, I was just so stupid.  >:(   Oh well. I guess I need to get some touch up paint. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »
Thanks J, I was just so stupid.  >:(   Oh well. I guess I need to get some touch up paint.

Which side is it C? I'm kind of an ebay slut so if I see one pop up I could let you know bro...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Black?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »

Which side is it C? I'm kind of an ebay slut so if I see one pop up I could let you know bro...

That's mighty nice of you man! Thanks, it's the left side.