Author Topic: Anything New and Exciting for Front Forks  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Anything New and Exciting for Front Forks
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »
Well I'm about to change out the front fork Oil, and was wondering if anything new is out there for the change. I will be honest, I haven't done any research, but hopefully COG land will have the most up to date info. Brand you might recommend, weight, etc.
Thanks for your input, and please, reide safe.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Anything New and Exciting for Front Forks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
Cut 4-5" (depending on your weight) off the tightly wound part of your stock springs and add racetech emulators. Drill 4 holes in the emulator blowoff plate; use blue springs with 2 turns of preload; use 15 wt oil @ 150-160mm compressed ; cut pvc spacers to set preload height # 3 w/4" cut, # 4 w/5" cut) and add a fork brace that's properly shimmed. You'll have about the nicest front end a connie can have. Seriously.  Steve
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:02:53 AM by T Cro ® »

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
  Just did mine like SiSF said and it's great!!  ;D It involves a little work but very doable.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
+1  same here
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline soyjim

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Cut 4-5" (depending on your weight) off the tightly wound part of your stock springs and add racetech emulators. Drill 4 holes in the emulator blowoff plate; use blue springs with 2 turns of preload; use 15 wt oil @ 150-160mm compressed ; cut pvc spacers to set preload height #3' w/4" cut, 4" w/5" cut) and add a fork brace that's properly shimmed. You'll have about the nicest front end a connie can have. Seriously.  Steve

Wow. What a concise detailed response. I assume that anyone that was compenant enough to tackle changing his own fork oil would understand it all. (# 3 w/4" cut, 4" w/5" cut)  3 feet indicated does not seem to follow with the other inch indicated measurements. Is that correct or maybe a typo error? Hope that is not a stupid question.

What would be a ball park cost  and time estimate to do this?

blue springs! I guess that pretty much proves that blue is the best color for handeling.  ;D 

typo error fixed.... Intent was to signify pre-load lines # 3 or # 4 on your spring pre-load adjustments.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:05:27 AM by T Cro ® »

Offline kreaky

• '98 Connie; '92 750 Nighthawk; '85 VF500F; '96 XR4
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:08:21 AM »
I went the simple/cheap  route, cut 3 1/2" off the top of the springs, flushed and refilled with 15WT oil (new fork seals), very pleased with the result, front end braking dive much reduced, much smoother and controlled fork action over uneven surfaces.
"Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »
I went the simple/cheap  route, cut 3 1/2" off the top of the springs, flushed and refilled with 15WT oil (new fork seals), very pleased with the result, front end braking dive much reduced, much smoother and controlled fork action over uneven surfaces.
I think (hope) you left out the step of adding some PVC pipe in there.  Otherwise, I expect your bike is riding really low.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline kreaky

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I think (hope) you left out the step of adding some PVC pipe in there.  Otherwise, I expect your bike is riding really low.   ;D

I didn't forget to put in the 3 1/2" PVC spacer.......I DID forget to mention it in the post....senior moment.  :nuts:

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
I set one spring and PVC spacer to the correct OEM length (higher end of the allowance) with fender washers on each end of the PVC section, then set the other one by taking measurements and adding or subtracting washers so they would each be the same exact length.

I used 5" of PVC with 15w fork oil and a fork brace.  No dive now!  Maybe one day i'll get a set of emulators.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
Is there any particular type of fork fluid that is best?

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:17:14 PM by knight_mare »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
I've used Bel-Ray 15wt for years.

+1!

However, my local shop didn't have Bel-Ray 15w when I needed it so I got this:
"PJ1 GOLD SERIES FORK TUNER FORK OIL"  So far, so good.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kreaky

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »
Is there any particular type of fork fluid that is best?

Don't know if it is best or not, but I've been using trans-hydraulic fluid in my forks (both dirt and street) for several years, works good for me.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
OK, I want to do this the cheapest most frugal way possible.  Emulators or new springs aren't in the budget at the moment, so cutting the springs and installing PVC spacers seems to be my plan.

What size & schedule of PVC pipe? 
How much should I cut off the springs?  I'm 280lbs, and ride the bike pretty hard.
How long should the PVC spacers be in relation to the amount I cut off the springs?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline yoman

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
Im 180 and I cut off 5 inches, replaced with 3/4 inch schedule 40 PVC and a fender washer that I ground to fit. I made a world of difference, no dive on breaking and corners much better. The HD shop was the only place open so i used the Screamin Eagle oil. worked fine, its oil.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »
OK, I want to do this the cheapest most frugal way possible.  Emulators or new springs aren't in the budget at the moment, so cutting the springs and installing PVC spacers seems to be my plan.

What size & schedule of PVC pipe? 
How much should I cut off the springs?  I'm 280lbs, and ride the bike pretty hard.
How long should the PVC spacers be in relation to the amount I cut off the springs?

I'm goint to just take a guess here.  I would think you should remove 5" (4" is kind of the minimum) of the closely wound section of the spring due to your stature.  I would also recommend 15w (perhaps 20w if it can be found).  If it is still too soft, take another inch off.

The PVC and fender washers (slightly less than 1.25” OD) make up for the section of spring that was removed.  Look in the shop manual for the correct overall spring length for your bike year and let that guide you also before you actually make a cut.  This total length would be how long your cut spring, spacer, and washers would add up to.  Go for the longer side of the spec as springs fatigue over time and become shorter.  Make sure there is a washer on each side of the PVC at a minimum and that the spacer is cut as straight as possible.  The washers will let you fine tune the length so each side is an even length.

I think that covered it.  My '87 springs were compressed about 3/4" assuming they were within spec when the bike was assembled new.  This is a clip for the early model bikes...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Well, I finally did this about two weeks ago.  Cut the springs by 4" and used 15w oil.  What a difference.  I kind of wish I had gone with 5", but I figured I could always make the springs shorter later.  Longer would be difficult. 

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »
Cheap way to make a lot better suspension!  Glad you like it.  Now you're set for at least 2 years on the fluid.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
I have some new progressive springs that came with the bike. I havn't decided if I am going to mod the old ones, go with the progressives or mod the progressives. I took 5 inchs out of my 86 springs and liked that.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1