Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293894 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:12 AM »
HEY HEY they are LAW ENFORCEMENT BARS , COMBAT bars , not bathroom bars   ::)

If you've had to much to drink you might call them, handicap bars.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »
As someone who is more on "the other board" than this one...  LOL  I have to say this project is really exciting!  And I'm glad I read this so I didn't go jumping at a rash of "good deals"!  LOL

I believe 99% of any real animosity between the different boards is in the minds of a radical few who just can't let things go.  But hey, I've only been a Concours guy for a little under 2 years.

I'm KEENLY interested in the group buy, especially if it goes to include the rear protection bars.  I'd like the full set up.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
Take your shoes off, stay awhile.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
Sorry I've been lagging a bit on replying to you guys! Although, it is the weekend! We've had some really nice weather here the last few days so I've been out riding! Anyway, to answer your guys questions:

+1.  I was going to post the same request- please have the lower meet at the lowest point in the front, not above the bolt.  It is somehow messing up the lines.  Also, it looks like the rear mount ear is not straight with the rest of the lower bar.  Could be just because it is a mockup.  Could be it is just an optical illusion.  Could be because you are trying to clear something else I don't see.  Or it could just be wrong :)

Another question (I do tend to have lots):  On the back mounting point, is that ear touching the metal on the bike, or hovering off the bike?  How much clearance is there?  On a more forceful tipover, if the bar is pushed in a bit, will the front of that ear push in and gouge the bike's aluminum?

Changing where the lower horizontal bar and the vertical bar meet is going to be the first change we make tomorrow morning. I'll take some photos once that done so you guys can see what it looks like. It's a bit weird to see in the photo but the ear is where it needs to be, I believe. It's just misleading to look at because it's slightly egg shaped. Also, that mounting bracket isn't touching the bike; It's approximately 1/8" away from the bike if I'm not mistaken. I suppose it could bend in on a harder spill but it's a relatively thick bracket so I really don't think that'd be something to worry about.

Uber strength isn't what I need, IMNSHO if I were to go down at speed the bike is pretty screwed anyway, I do want tough, to potentially handle multiple drops, at slow parking lot type speeds..  Not to brag, but I like doing the dreaded "Box" one handed, left and right, what I want to do is inside the 20' section one handed and other such things.  I'd also like to drag a knee, at slow speed, one handed.  Differant physics at work and a challenge I want to do.  Why?  High speed offs get painfull and expensive, well, quickly.  I'd also like to push the envelope on braking, find the far side of good, wet and dry.  These cages look like the answer I have been looking for, scratched stainless looks far better than scratched paint.  Not a poke (for a change ;D) My 14 is a high smile utillity vehicle, looks are secondary.  Function over form.  Heck, I'd like to see some short rear versions as I don't do the one handed stuff with them bags on.
Both front and rear would make some great camera points as a bonus :)

A lot of our customers like to use our bars to practice this exact type of stuff. If I'm not mistaken, I think they call it "Rodeo". This is one of the reasons we wanted to stay away from a single, two-point horizontal bar. When you're doing these types of maneuvers and you go down you don't always have time to get your feet down first which, more often than not, causes the bike to roll over that single protective bar and hit the upper fairings/mirrors. We're hoping with our design the bike can do that rocking motion without causing damage to any part of the fairings.

I got my bars to practice slow speed manuevers also and to see how tight of a turn around I can get. I do not want the fear of dropping the bike to cause me to be too conservative.

I know the C14 does not belong to you Ryan but just gently laying it on its side was not the reason for my purchase. I would like to see a drop test as was done with the original bars.  I wonder if the mirrors would be protected in that type of drop or slow speed parking lot drop.

Yea, unfortunately there's no way the owner will allow us to do that type of testing. I'm hoping in the near future we can get a bike from Kawasaki to strap these bars on and test because they do allow us to drop them. Until then, we'll have to rely on our experience and customer testimonies.

Holy cow!  What a responsive business!  I am impressed beyond belief.

Ryan, you've got my CC # and address. Go ahead and put me down for the first set that comes off the line. Im only joking because i know MC Enterprises isn't the kind of company that would charge before they have a product ready to sell.

The tough decision is now going to be powder black to match my small bag guards, or raw and ready for silver powder coat. I'll have to strip and powder the rears too.

MCE have ruined it for every company I deal with from now on.  They're platinum level.

Well, thank you! Yea, we'd never do anything like that! That's a good way to lose a lot of loyal customers and get the Fed's on your ass real quick, I'd imagine! Anyway, I'll be starting a new thread for a group buy once the bars and finalized and finished. That way those of you who are interested can make sure you have a set reserved from our first production run. That way you guys can all get a discount as well!

Ryan,

I know that you can't please everyone and I appreciate all of your efforts.  A lot of people like what you have came up with. I was hoping for a design that followed the lines of the bike but I do understand why you have gone the route that you have.

Thanks, Pope! Yea, originally I wanted to aim for a design that went more with the lines of the bike but we just couldn't make it happen with the design we ended up settling on. I personally think the bar still looks great and will function well but it's definitely different than what I originally had in mind.

I am fairly sure they have thrown out any one-bar design at this point.  It looks like you are essentially just designing your own "Top Block" type bar that will require modifying the lower fairing.

Certainly, this has merit- the 2010+ Top Block is nowhere near as attractive as the older model, and it is very, very expensive and hard to obtain.  Like others, I am torn between that simple, light, unobtrusive design, and the much more visible and complex current design path that McE is taking (the Concours Canyon Cage).  For me, the bathroom bars were never even an option.  The currently proposed McE design is probably much MORE protection than the Top Block design, but that is not necessarily what I was looking for.  Also, it is really pushing the limit of my acceptance for visibility.

Maybe McE would be interested in designing yet another product, their own Top Block clone, perhaps only as a bar (without any slider/plastic).  Probably best when combined with the rear bars.  That would eliminate the price and availability disadvantages of the Top Block.  But I don't think that is going to happen, now.

Decisions, decisions...

Yea, I like where Gordon was going with his design. I just don't think that type of design is right for us. We wanted to stay away from a one-bar type design because it doesn't protect enough of the bike. From our standpoint, we have a bunch of different customers that all want their bike protected in different ways so we have to make bars that are going to stand up to a wide variety of situations. It's better for us to make a slightly bigger bar that's going to protect more of the bike than make a super low profile design that's only going to protect the bike in very specific situations. Of course, this all depends on the customers expectations as well. If we, like you said, also offered a single bar design along with the Canyon Cages and bathroom bars than we'd have a wide array of protection options and the customers could choose based on their riding style. That's not a bad idea...

If you are talking about the Top Block or a single horizontal bar, if the bike lands on it (which it should, based on previous discussions and photos), then it will protect the lower and top fairings.... as long as the bike doesn't roll over/pivot on it.  And that can probably be prevented by also installing the rear bars (which is what I would recommend with any "solution").

Our rear bars won't stop the bike from that rocking motion. This is the main reason we had to avoid a single bar for the front.

As someone who is more on "the other board" than this one...  LOL  I have to say this project is really exciting!  And I'm glad I read this so I didn't go jumping at a rash of "good deals"!  LOL

I believe 99% of any real animosity between the different boards is in the minds of a radical few who just can't let things go.  But hey, I've only been a Concours guy for a little under 2 years.

I'm KEENLY interested in the group buy, especially if it goes to include the rear protection bars.  I'd like the full set up.

Ahhh, okay. So it's moreso various individual holding personal grudges. Well, that's life I suppose. If you're interested in the group buy, keep checking back. I'll be starting a new thread once these bars are done for the Canyon Cage group buy. Suuure, I suppose I can include the small rears again in the group buy as well.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »
I will be, I assure you.  :)
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
So do these new designs offer more/ less protection than the old style bars?  My number one was protection for the bike.  And i'm probably not switching.  but just curious.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
So do these new designs offer more/ less protection than the old style bars?  My number one was protection for the bike.  And i'm probably not switching.  but just curious.

I am not a structural engineer....
I am not a crash bar designer or tester...

My belief is that the original, police style bars will offer more protection because they stand off so far and also offer more material for energy absorption.   They are likely to perform equally at no or low speed, and maybe even moderate (< 25MPH) speed.  But the higher the speed or more violent the fall, the more likely the original design will outperform the canyons.

The canyons are, however, three point.  So they might do better in certain cases.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2012, 04:01:52 AM »
 :popcorn: Are we there yet?

Offline privateer

« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:13 AM »
I would prefer protection for slow speed slide.

I had Barrier Bars on my ZX14 at one point. They are the only crash protection short of a stunt cage which would have a) kept the bike from dragging on the road in a slow speed slide, and b) not been damaged except for scrapes on the bar itself.

The problem is, to do maintenance, you had to remove engine bolts to take them off. Anything that attaches to engine bolts is problematic. It will a) make any maintenance which requires the side cowls to be removed, more expensive, and b) risk your engine bolt mounts (aka frame) in a crash.

At least with the Barrier Bars, a slide wouldn't be a problem as the pressure is spread out quite well.

My problem with the MCE idea, as well as the Miltitant Moto Barrier Bars I had for my ZX14, is any time you need to do maintenance which requires the side cowl to be removed, you have to unbolt engine bolts and then re-install engine bolts. Clearly I don't consider that a good situation, since at least in the ZX14 service manual, it says anytime you remove engine bolts, you have to replace them with new bolts because the installation torque reaches the stress limit of the bolt.

So before I would buy an equivalent level of protection for my 2012 Concours 14, I would need to see a product which solves the problems above.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:29:44 AM by privateer »

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
This may have been suggested, or maybe not because of taste, but any though of powder coating to color match specific years. I really like the look as it is, and would order black for my 2010 unless they were available in Neptune Blue. In blue, the would almost disappear into the background. Same for the rear bars.

Just my .02 as I plan to order regardless.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:42 AM »

I'd say that our bathroom bars probably offer a bit more protection than these Canyon Cages do merely because they hold the bike higher off the ground during tip-overs. Other than that the protection is very similar.

:popcorn: Are we there yet?

Getting there! We should actually have the design finalized by this afternoon. I'm hoping we can send it off to our powder coaters tomorrow!

My problem with the MCE idea, as well as the Miltitant Moto Barrier Bars I had for my ZX14, is any time you need to do maintenance which requires the side cowl to be removed, you have to unbolt engine bolts and then re-install engine bolts. Clearly I don't consider that a good situation, since at least in the ZX14 service manual, it says anytime you remove engine bolts, you have to replace them with new bolts because the installation torque reaches the stress limit of the bolt.

So before I would buy an equivalent level of protection for my 2012 Concours 14, I would need to see a product which solves the problems above.

We provide new, high-quality, Grade 8 hardware (which has a higher stress limit than the OEM hardware) with all of our protective bars so removing and retightening the bolts shouldn't pose any sort of risk. After all, we've put on and removed these types of bars numerous times on bikes when we fit the bars up and haven't ran into any negative repercussions. Although, every bike is different.

I can understand mechanics charging more for having to take the Cages off and everything but there's a simple solution to that: Take the bars off yourself before you take the bike in to have it serviced. This would have been a bit of a tall order with the bathroom bars but seeing as how these Canyon Cages can be taken off in less than 2-3 minutes per side (without having to remove or even loosen the fairings), it doesn't seem too far-fetched that one can simply remove the bars themselves before taking their bike in.

Also, it would be incredibly difficult to manufacture a bar that didn't tie in at some engine mount point. I'm sure it could be done but it would, more than likely, require very intricate bracket work that would seriously lessen the strength of the bars while adding quite a bit of cost. I'm sure it's doable, though.

This may have been suggested, or maybe not because of taste, but any though of powder coating to color match specific years. I really like the look as it is, and would order black for my 2010 unless they were available in Neptune Blue. In blue, the would almost disappear into the background. Same for the rear bars.

Just my .02 as I plan to order regardless.

We have given some thought to offering more color choices but you have to keep in mind that we, for the most part, have to get these bars finished long before we ever sell them so the issue comes in guessing what colors are going to sell and which aren't. It would suck to have 10 bars sitting on the shelf for 6 months merely because nobody wants the silver ones. It seems best from our standpoint to merely offer a couple color choices along with offering the bar raw to those who want a "custom" type of color. That way the people who want a custom color can take the bar in to someone local and have it painted to match their bike perfectly without having to pay to have the original finish stripped off. However, a lot of people don't realize they can get the bar "raw"...
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline wendel

« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
When you do the simple modification to the fairings, ie cut off the second and fourth tab, you can remove the fairings w/o removing the bars.
2012 C14

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »
The vertical bar looks okay but the horizontal bars would look better if they followed the angle of the fairing vents. The top horizontal bar could angled up to follow the fairing then down and then in to attach to the frame. Then the lower horizontal bar could be a straight bar between the vertical bar and top bar before it bends into the frame. Kinda opposite of what you have.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
We need to see if this will fit on an 08.  And how it looks on an 08.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
The vertical bar looks okay but the horizontal bars would look better if they followed the angle of the fairing vents. The top horizontal bar could angled up to follow the fairing then down and then in to attach to the frame. Then the lower horizontal bar could be a straight bar between the vertical bar and top bar before it bends into the frame. Kinda opposite of what you have.

We actually tacked a set up with the changes you described and it came out really weird looking. So much so that I decided it wasn't even worth it to take photos and check back with you guys. Like you, I thought the bar would look much better if the top horizontal bar bent up then back down along with the fairings but it came out looking really awkward.

How do you guys like the design pictured below, though? I made the change to the lower horizontal bar and made it connect to the vertical one at the lowest possible point. Let me know what you guys think!

We need to see if this will fit on an 08.  And how it looks on an 08.

I definitely agree! I have a few people lined up to test this bar out on an '08 but we have to get the bar finalized first. I'm still holding out hope that I can get an old '08 from Kawasaki so I can film some real drop tests for you guys with these bars installed.

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Looks great and I, for one, am ready to order ;D I've already lined up powder coating to match color - just waiting for the official launch! Will be ordering the rear guards at the same time as it sounds like that may be an option in the group buy.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
[...]
We actually tacked a set up with the changes you described and it came out really weird looking. So much so that I decided it wasn't even worth it to take photos and check back with you guys. Like you, I thought the bar would look much better if the top horizontal bar bent up then back down along with the fairings but it came out looking really awkward.

It is hard for me resist wanting to see what it looked like, too :)   It seems intuitive that it would have looked better following the fairing lines.

How do you guys like the design pictured below, though? I made the change to the lower horizontal bar and made it connect to the vertical one at the lowest possible point. Let me know what you guys think!

Well, that is a no-brainer.  It looks much better than when it almost but not quite connected at the same point!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline GordonM

« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »
I like the way the lower bar goes straight into the mount point.

Must be tough opening up a design on a public forum.  Man! those guys won't leave my stuff alone. 

Here is another variation with the tubes following the lines of the fairing and the duct vanes.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
I like the looks of that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Here is another variation with the tubes following the lines of the fairing and the duct vanes.

There ya go!  That looks interesting.  Might look better if the top bend were more gradual (had a greater radius).  Plus, still needs the lower bar to connect at the bolthead on the bottom.

I can see that this would, indeed, be weaker, though.   I think one would have to retain the bottom as a single piece to maintain the strength... even if it were bent...  BUT....  It would be quite a bend, though... to the point that your proposal probably has as much merit.

So many possibilities