Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293516 times)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53:12 AM »
Quote from: The Pope
Could the vertical bar have a just a boss at it's lowest point that the bolt goes thru. Then a thick washer on both sides of this boss, then another boss between all of this and where the bolt threads into the frame/engine. This configuration is for when the rear horizonal bar is not being used. Now have the rear bar with a clevis section on the end that attaches to the vertical bar. Now if the two thick washers were removed, the clevis can fill the spaces where the washers were. This would give the end user the choice of how they want to have the bars configured.

Just a thought.

I think it'd be cool if the end user could have a choice of how they have the bar configured but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean in this post. It sounds like it'd be reaaally pricy, though. When you think about it, too, the entire bar is never really being used either until you fall over...

I understand that there must be a horizonal bar, but just so that you understand what I was trying to say, I've attached a screen shot.
The red washers would not be used when the horizonal bar was attached. Hope that this helps.

This type of setup "could" also lead to a different washer and boss combination, where as a highway arm/peg can be mounted. I believe that is what MGvaleri is trying to say in his post. I'm not sure, but does "perni" = "highway peg mount" ?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
No prob, it is really late and we ALL should get sleep (hey, it is past 1:15am here!).

We will have to leave the engineering design and analysis to you professionals, of course.  It is already obvious your team has the skill, desire, experience, and ability to produce something great.  I am sure each configuration has pluses and minuses.  As for feedback from us laypeople, we mostly have to go on aesthetics vs. practicality vs. convenience vs. protection level vs cost.  The permutations are mind blowing!

At some point, I would suggest a poll, listing (showing) all the possible configurations that are workable and reasonable, along with a simple estimate of level of protection offered, then let people vote on which they like the most (or least).  I am not saying it is a democracy- it is your project and your investment money and time on the line, but the potential customers could offer some insight as to what might sell best.  Might even be OK as a "silent" poll, where people just Email or private message you their ranked choices.

A poll is definitely a good idea. I'll look into that once we have all available options out on the table!

Also, I've been looking more into doing a two-point bar where we'd keep the horizontal bar and lose the vertical one. This set-up seems like it would suffice for no- extremely low speed tip-overs but not much beyond that. The reason is when you put crash protection on these bikes, it tends to cause a rocking motion when the bike goes over. In a no-to-low speed situation, the bike would hit the bar and that would be it. However, when you add a little motion to the equation (as low as 10mph) and the bike goes over, it tends to rock over that initial hit point and that's when you end up with damaged mirrors and scuffs on the higher part of the fairing.

With this in mind, it seems to me that keeping something similar to the current set-up with a horizontal and vertical bar of some sort would offer the most optimal protection. That's not to say we can't change it around and play with the design, though. I still plan on fixing up a set similar to what RBX QB posted yesterday. Once I get that done I'll post some pics and check back for feedback!

I understand that there must be a horizonal bar, but just so that you understand what I was trying to say, I've attached a screen shot.
The red washers would not be used when the horizonal bar was attached. Hope that this helps.

This type of setup "could" also lead to a different washer and boss combination, where as a highway arm/peg can be mounted. I believe that is what MGvaleri is trying to say in his post. I'm not sure, but does "perni" = "highway peg mount" ?

Ohhhh, I see what you're saying now. That's a pretty badass little graphic you cooked up, too! That looks like it'd be a pretty sweet application for the bike but you have to keep in mind every process and added piece is going to raise the cost of the bars. I'll show this to Armando, though, and see what he thinks of it! It's definitely something we could handle doing, no problem.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline danl

« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
Are you done? Are they for sale yet? :)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
There are two schools of thought when it comes to this bike.

There are the guys that put on 2" risers for more upright seating, huge windshields, top boxes, and in some cases, bathroom bars. They're the sport/TOURING crowd. They're the ones that want highway pegs.

The others are the guys that are talking about burning up 190-55 rear tires in 3,000 miles, dragging pegs, etc. and lean towards the SPORT/touring side. These guys want sleek tip-over protection and wouldn't be caught dead with highway pegs.

I just think it's cool that there is a bike that can fit both "factions".

:thumbs:
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »
Are you done? Are they for sale yet? :)

Hahahaha not quite done yet! I'm hoping we can settle on a design by closing time today so we can begin a bit more extensive testing to make sure the bar will hold up in various situations early next week. The bike has to be returned by the end of next week so it'll absolutely be done by then, at the latest. However, the bar won't be ready to sell until approximately 4 weeks after that as it'll have to go through our normal production process.

I'm planning on organizing a group buy for these once the design is completed and finished up. So, those of you who are interested in these stay tuned! We don't have the pricing for this bar worked up yet as the bar isn't done so I can't tell you precisely how much you'll save by participating in the group buy but I can promise you'll be taken care of!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
It seems I hit a nerve with the highway peg issue and I apologize if I pissed anyone off.

Ryan, No nerve hit, and not pissed off. Just stating opinion and reasoning. You've got your job cut out trying to please everyone, knowing you can't possibly succeed. I appreciate that your willing to listen and at least consider all these different ideas. Not many vendors would bother to even try.

Thanks for what you're doing, can't wait to see the finished product...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
We don't have the pricing for this bar worked up yet as the bar isn't done so I can't tell you precisely how much you'll save by participating in the group buy but I can promise you'll be taken care of!

Can those who already have your front bars get a trade in discount?

Oh, the image that I posted, that was done with Parametric's Pro/Engineering 3D modeling software. It’s something that I work with daily. 
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »

OMG!! Not someone with actual SKILLS that is willing to publicize it on the fourm?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wendel

« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

That would be nice.
2012 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Can we hold off telling the guys over at the COG board about these new bars once they become available? That way us guys who have GSG's and MCE front bars can sell 'em over there. 

;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Can we hold off telling the guys over at the COG board about these new bars once they become available? That way us guys who have GSG's and MCE front bars can sell 'em over there. 

;)
:chugbeer:   :goodpost:
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »

;)
:thumbs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
Ryan, No nerve hit, and not pissed off. Just stating opinion and reasoning. You've got your job cut out trying to please everyone, knowing you can't possibly succeed. I appreciate that your willing to listen and at least consider all these different ideas. Not many vendors would bother to even try.

Thanks for what you're doing, can't wait to see the finished product...

Phew! The last thing I want to do is **** off the community I'm looking to for opinions!

Oh, the image that I posted, that was done with Parametric's Pro/Engineering 3D modeling software. It’s something that I work with daily.

I suppose I could work with you guys on something like that. Keep in mind though, we're pretty anal about QC over here so if the bathroom bars were returned with ANY type of scuffs of marks (even as small as washer marks from installation/vibration) we'll charge you to have the bar stripped and redone which could be up to $30. Also, you'd be responsible for paying the freight to get the bar back to us. If some of you guys are still interested in this, I can handle you on a one-by-one basis via email once the bars are done and ready to be sold.

That's pretty cool about the program too! No wonder it came out looking so good!

;)

I haven't posted anything regarding the Canyon Cage over on the COG forum as of yet. I didn't seem to get a very warm reception there so I stopped posting. People didn't really seem interested in hearing from the manufacturer.  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
snip...

I haven't posted anything regarding the Canyon Cage over on the COG forum as of yet. I didn't seem to get a very warm reception there so I stopped posting. People didn't really seem interested in hearing from the manufacturer.  :o

Imagine that?    :-X

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
I think we may have found our design...

I really like the look and functionality level of this bar. It really protects the bike well in no and low speed tip-overs as well as looking good doing it! Armando's hand is in the way a bit but the bar still connects to the same point it was yesterday, the rear part of the bar has been unchanged. What do you guys think of this set-up? Any complaints, concerns, or opinions?

Also, for those of you still interested in the quick release set up, I took this photo to help kinda clear up the confusion regarding the inner mounting point. Like I said, this design doesn't really strike me as typical "quick-release" but it literally takes 2-3 minutes to remove each side. That's a pretty damn quick release compared to our other style bars!

I could only fit the front two mounting points in the photo (the rearward mounting point is self-explanatory anyway) and you can see how they're easily accessible. To take off either side, it's a matter of removing 3 bolts of the same size. I'm not sure how much quicker it can get without going to some type of cotter pin/slide design which, to me, tends to look a bit chinsy and also weakens the bar.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the newer design!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
I think that removal sounds fairly simple, maybe someone on the COG forum with an 08/09 can help us lepers out. Worth a shot. :deadhorse:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
I think that removal sounds fairly simple, maybe someone on the COG forum with an 08/09 can help us lepers out. Worth a shot. :deadhorse:

Is there some sort of animosity between the two forums that I'm not aware of?

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »
I think we may have found our design...

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the newer design!

That's very nice!
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
That's very nice!

Thanks, Mal! Anyone else have any opinions on the newest design? If not, I think we may begin finalizing this bar and getting it ready to be finished!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
It looks great to me Ryan. I really hope that this design will work on the '08/'09 models or that you can get one of these in your shop SOON.