Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293482 times)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
There's still just something with that horizonal bar that I don't like. I know that you can't please everyone.

How would it be if the 2-4" or so if the horizonal pipe closest to the vertical bar was bent down to the lower mounting point? A small gussit could be placed in that corner as well and the gussit could have a hole in it to mount a slider or something? Just thinking out loud as I do remember you saying that if the bar was mounted on an angle there would be a bending issue.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
How would it be if the 2-4" or so if the horizonal pipe closest to the vertical bar was bent down to the lower mounting point? A small gussit could be placed in that corner as well and the gussit could have a hole in it to mount a slider or something? Just thinking out loud as I do remember you saying that if the bar was mounted on an angle there would be a bending issue.

This is a good idea! I know precisely what you mean, too. I'll talk with Armando and see if it's a change we can make. For some reason, though, I'm thinking there was a technical reason why we couldn't affix that horizontal bar to the vertical one at that lower mounting point because that's where I originally wanted the bars to meet. I'll discuss this with Armando and get back to you.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
Looking good to me.  Did I say I really want these for my 09?  :D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
Looking good to me.  Did I say I really want these for my 09?  :D

Hahahah I believe you mentioned that.  :P I really hope these work for an '08-'09 but if they don't, I really hope we can find a bike to fit up because I have a feeling these bars are going to be popular!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
There's still just something with that horizonal bar that I don't like. I know that you can't please everyone.

You can say that again, because I really like the horizontal bar, especially if they can incorporate some swing-out foot pegs that hide under the horizontal section...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
You can say that again, because I really like the horizontal bar, especially if they can incorporate some swing-out foot pegs that hide under the horizontal section...

That would really be a nice set up.

Looks great so far.
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
Ryan, what diameter tube is that you are working with?

Just thinking that a clamp on style peg assembly will work if a built in does not work out.
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »
Ryan, what diameter tube is that you are working with?

Just thinking that a clamp on style peg assembly will work if a built in does not work out.

The bar we're using is 7/8" to match the small rear bars we make for the 2010-2012 Connies.

I really don't want this to come off the wrong way but I am against highway pegs on a bike like this, personally. I know that's just one mans opinion but highway pegs just don't belong on a sporty type of bike in my opinion. It has to do with the body position of the rider; the Connie is a sporty style bike and thus the rider has a forward-leaning body angle. Highway pegs are counter-productive to this design. Putting your feet up causes the rider to lean back when you should really be leaning forward. Having said that, I understand that some people may want highway pegs (although it's a relatively small niche) in which case those people can simply clamp on a pair of aftermarket pegs. I really can't see us creating a "built-in" set of highway pegs for this bar. It would add quite a bit to the cost of the bars ($40-$50) while taking away from the smooth aesthetics for those of you who don't like the highway pegs. Sorry, man, I think this is one of those situations where I have to pick my battles. :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
I really don't want this to come off the wrong way but I am against highway pegs on a bike like this, personally. I know that's just one mans opinion but highway pegs just don't belong on a sporty type of bike in my opinion. It has to do with the body position of the rider; the Connie is a sporty style bike and thus the rider has a forward-leaning body angle. Highway pegs are counter-productive to this design. Putting your feet up causes the rider to lean back when you should really be leaning forward.

:goodpost:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
Ryan, I said this before, but I will say it again and in more detail:

1) We *really* appreciate your company listening to us.  I think you will end up with a fantastic design this way that is very desirable.

2) We LOVE all these photos and details as you go.  It really helps to see what you are talking about and get a feel for the design process, which is both informative and fun.

3) I have a feeling I *must* have these things ASAP :)

More feedback:

* I agree that having built-in highway pegs are probably not the best idea from a market and pricing perspective.  I do understand the need for them, though... I am one of those people that will want them.  I am not sure I need something as dramatic as way out and up there on those bars, though... so I am still looking at  Ronnie Agostini's design for just an alternative foot placement.

* I still like the idea of a slider knob.  But I will stress again that I think it needs to be NEARLY FLUSH, or it is going to look strange!

* I think the quick release is especially important in this design.  Having to remove a complex THREE POINT crash bar will be a pain when just trying to change a turn signal bulb (which is already a pain with all the fairings).  I don't think you have elaborated on just how your proposed quick release will work...

* I still wish there were an option for the no-rear arm bar.  I know you said it might not be strong enough, but I am not looking for protection at 25, 35, or 75 MPH, just dead stop or < 5MPH  tip over protection.  Isn't that what most of us are looking for?  The GSG and other sliders are just one point.  The Top Block are two point.  Are you sure the two point mount is off the table/impractical?  Could there be two versions?

* If it must have a rear arm I tend to think the center tie-in looks cooler, for some reason that I cannot say, compared to the lower tie-in.  Again, I know that strength is important, but hey- we are trying to get something much nicer looking, afterall!  If it works either way, a poll on the forum of what people think might be useful for that design element.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
In my brain I see something like this (with the puck somewhere in the triangle area)...
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

1) We *really* appreciate your company listening to us.
+10000000
* I still wish there were an option for the no-rear arm bar.
Could the vertical bar have a just a boss at it's lowest point that the bolt goes thru. Then a thick washer on both sides of this boss, then another boss between all of this and where the bolt threads into the frame/engine. This configuration is for when the rear horizonal bar is not being used. Now have the rear bar with a clevis section on the end that attaches to the vertical bar. Now if the two thick washers were removed, the clevis can fill the spaces where the washers were. This would give the end user the choice of how they want to have the bars configured.

Just a thought.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
In my brain I see something like this (with the puck somewhere in the triangle area)...

Hmmm, that's a very interesting concept based on our initial design it looks like where the horizontal bar meets the vertical bar more towards the middle. I'll talk to Armando tomorrow and see if we can try that on the bike and see what it looks like. It doesn't take us very long to get things bent and tacked into place.

1) We *really* appreciate your company listening to us.  I think you will end up with a fantastic design this way that is very desirable.

2) We LOVE all these photos and details as you go.  It really helps to see what you are talking about and get a feel for the design process, which is both informative and fun.

3) I have a feeling I *must* have these things ASAP :)

More feedback:

* I agree that having built-in highway pegs are probably not the best idea from a market and pricing perspective.  I do understand the need for them, though... I am one of those people that will want them.  I am not sure I need something as dramatic as way out and up there on those bars, though... so I am still looking at  Ronnie Agostini's design for just an alternative foot placement.

* I still like the idea of a slider knob.  But I will stress again that I think it needs to be NEARLY FLUSH, or it is going to look strange!

* I think the quick release is especially important in this design.  Having to remove a complex THREE POINT crash bar will be a pain when just trying to change a turn signal bulb (which is already a pain with all the fairings).  I don't think you have elaborated on just how your proposed quick release will work...

* I still wish there were an option for the no-rear arm bar.  I know you said it might not be strong enough, but I am not looking for protection at 25, 35, or 75 MPH, just dead stop or < 5MPH  tip over protection.  Isn't that what most of us are looking for?  The GSG and other sliders are just one point.  The Top Block are two point.  Are you sure the two point mount is off the table/impractical?  Could there be two versions?

* If it must have a rear arm I tend to think the center tie-in looks cooler, for some reason that I cannot say, compared to the lower tie-in.  Again, I know that strength is important, but hey- we are trying to get something much nicer looking, afterall!  If it works either way, a poll on the forum of what people think might be useful for that design element.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that and you guys are all very welcome! I honestly don't know why we haven't done things this way in the past. Like you, I truly believe the collaboration of all our minds together is going to yield an awesome product that functions well and looks great doing it without any unnecessary crap.

Yea, I saw that solution for a slightly higher place to put your feet above the stock pegs and that looked great! I just have a feeling highway pegs farther forward on the bike (like where they'd need to be mounted on our bar) would create a funky and unintended riding position.

Yea, we're still toying with the idea of the slider knob. At the most it'd stick out only 2". Honestly, right now it's a matter of supply. I'm having a hard time finding a vendor that sells the proper size we'd need. I found some great ones from McMaster-Carr that are polyethylene but they're just too damn small (http://www.mcmaster.com/#recessed-bumpers/=gyrf3l). I was talking to Armando about boring out the hole for the 10mm mount bolt but the bumpers' funky shape may be an issue. If anyone can find a supplier of delrin or polyethylene "recessed bumpers" please let me know. They have to be roughly 2-2.5" in diameter, ~1.5" tall, and be able to accommodate a 10mm round bolt. The only other idea I could come up with would be to incorporate a different type of bumper but I'll have to look into them more tomorrow at work.

The current design we have now isn't necessarily quick-release per se but it really doesn't take long to remove each side. When I hear quick-release I generally think of cotter pin style designs. I'll elaborate more on our design tomorrow for you when I can take some pictures to go along with my explanation but as it is, you only have to remove 3 easily-accessible bolts for each side. Taking off one side is literally a 2-3 minute job with the right socket wrench handy.

Unfortunately the rear horizontal bar is necessary not only because of the added strength but also because of how the bike goes over. If the current design didn't have that horizontal bar extending back, the lower part of the fairing closer to the foot would be smashed before the bar hit the ground merely due to how the bike falls over. If you notice where the GSGs mount, it's much further back on the bike than where the vertical bar on our cage is. The rear part of the GSGs almost mount to where the rear part of our bar mounts, just slightly lower on the bike.

Yea, I'm still debating on the center tie-in or the lower tie-in. I'm honestly preferable to both. I really like RBX QB's variation on our earlier bar which was the center tie-in design. What do you think of that style he posted, maxtog? I'll have RBX's design worked up tomorrow so we can see what it looks like on the bike. I dig how it looks in the photo, though.

What does everyone else think? Do you guys prefer the lower tie-in or the center tie-in?

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
Could the vertical bar have a just a boss at it's lowest point that the bolt goes thru. Then a thick washer on both sides of this boss, then another boss between all of this and where the bolt threads into the frame/engine. This configuration is for when the rear horizonal bar is not being used. Now have the rear bar with a clevis section on the end that attaches to the vertical bar. Now if the two thick washers were removed, the clevis can fill the spaces where the washers were. This would give the end user the choice of how they want to have the bars configured.

I think it'd be cool if the end user could have a choice of how they have the bar configured but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean in this post. It sounds like it'd be reaaally pricy, though. When you think about it, too, the entire bar is never really being used either until you fall over...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
Delrin is pricey isn't it. Don't know these folks but it seems they make delrin suspension bushings. Could be they would job lot bumpers to your spec.

http://www.paeco.com/index.htm
http://www.paeco.com/Delrin%20Bushings.htm

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
The bar we're using is 7/8" to match the small rear bars we make for the 2010-2012 Connies.

I really don't want this to come off the wrong way but I am against highway pegs on a bike like this, personally. I know that's just one mans opinion but highway pegs just don't belong on a sporty type of bike in my opinion. It has to do with the body position of the rider; the Connie is a sporty style bike and thus the rider has a forward-leaning body angle. Highway pegs are counter-productive to this design. Putting your feet up causes the rider to lean back when you should really be leaning forward. Having said that, I understand that some people may want highway pegs (although it's a relatively small niche) in which case those people can simply clamp on a pair of aftermarket pegs. I really can't see us creating a "built-in" set of highway pegs for this bar. It would add quite a bit to the cost of the bars ($40-$50) while taking away from the smooth aesthetics for those of you who don't like the highway pegs. Sorry, man, I think this is one of those situations where I have to pick my battles. :-\

If you want to be picky about aesthetics, hard bags and top cases don't belong on a sporty type bike either. The Connie is not just a sporty bike, it's also a touring bike, hence the hard bags and top cases. After 400 miles it's nice to have an alternate place to put your feet. The main reason I wanted fold-aways like the ones on the beemer is because then you can maintain the aesthetics when you don't need them. To each his own...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Yea, we're still toying with the idea of the slider knob. At the most it'd stick out only 2".

Ug... I fear at 2" it will look horrible.  Maybe 1/2" I could swallow.  I know this is difficult.

The current design we have now isn't necessarily quick-release [...] I'll elaborate more on our design tomorrow for you

Great

Yea, I'm still debating on the center tie-in or the lower tie-in. I'm honestly preferable to both. I really like RBX QB's variation on our earlier bar which was the center tie-in design. What do you think of that style he posted, maxtog? I'll have RBX's design worked up tomorrow so we can see what it looks like on the bike. I dig how it looks in the photo, though.

There are lots of possibilities.  Unfortunately, just like paint colors, it is really hard for me to visualize things without seeing them "for real" at different angles and distances.  I think RBX's looks interesting too, although it is going from minimal to being more visible.  Of course, a "Y" is not a bad idea.  What if the vertical bar disappeared completely and left you with just a "Y", like I GIMPED below?  You could still put a slider on the front bottom of the "Y".  Not sure about the strength with the triple welding/join, but it is an interesting design statement, no?  :)   Or maybe a "Y" that the bottom part is at the same angle as the air outlets, and the horizontal part is more level, like the second picture, below?  Or maybe an aggressive-looking "peak", with the rear bar connecting at the top, like the third picture?  Hmm
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Like he said get some aftermarket pegs , or maybe make two versions, I know I don't want pegs. I LIKE the look of the bike WITH the side bags, Kaw did a great job with the looks . I'm not a real touring kind of guy ,(I don't feel safe at 80 mph with cars that don't see me all around) that is what I bought a conversion van for, Diesel pickup for work and Mom has her Buick.

They look GREAT Ryan
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
There are two schools of thought when it comes to this bike.

There are the guys that put on 2" risers for more upright seating, huge windshields, top boxes, and in some cases, bathroom bars. They're the sport/TOURING crowd. They're the ones that want highway pegs.

The others are the guys that are talking about burning up 190-55 rear tires in 3,000 miles, dragging pegs, etc. and lean towards the SPORT/touring side. These guys want sleek tip-over protection and wouldn't be caught dead with highway pegs.

I just think it's cool that there is a bike that can fit both "factions".

Back on topic:
For tip over protection ONLY, what about having JUST the horizontal bar?

Personally, I'd like to see the rear mounting bracket rotated clockwise (on the left side bar) so that the rear mounting point were higher and then put the forward end of the "horizontal" bar lower so that the bar follows the line of the fairing. Not following the lines of the bike well is what turns me off with the look of the Top Block protection for the '10+ models.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
For tip over protection ONLY, what about having JUST the horizontal bar?

Thanks- I was going to mention that option, too and forgot.

Also, I know it was mentioned before, sorta, but, if the configuration is "too strong" and transmitted too much shock/energy, couldn't that cause SEVERE damage to the engine block where it is mounted?  I mean, yes we want to protect the fairings and mirrors, but think of what could happen in a higher energy impact with no fairings and other stuff to absorb the energy.

So much to consider.