Author Topic: SISF's Coolant Cocktail  (Read 3589 times)

Offline billhook

• Arena
SISF's Coolant Cocktail
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:33:14 AM »
Does anybody have the "recipe" for SISF's Coolant Cocktail?  I did a search here and at the club site and couldn't find it.

Offline connie_rider

Re: SISF's Coolant Cocktail
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:03:20 AM »
Jim Snyder just mixed some so I know he has it. Ping him.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »
 about 4 oz water wetter, about 4 oz prestone water pump lube and conditioner (if you can find it) about 12-16 oz anti freeze (no-silicon) and the rest with distilled water. Keep in mind that this isn't great protection form freezing in the winter, probably good to 20 or so, but if you intend to leave it in in cold climates, bump up the anti-freeze amount. For heat, anti-freeze is slow to gain heat and slow to lose it, so the water is the main carrier of heat. Steve

Offline Solderwick

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
Steve, I assume you mean no silicone, not silicon.

Silicon (Si) is used more in cement (silicate), portland cement (silica) and of course essential in the production of semiductors.

Silicones are inert, synthetic compounds with a variety of forms and uses. Typically heat-resistant and rubber-like, they are used in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medical applications (e.g., breast implants), cookware, and insulation.

So I asume you just made a typo, not worrying about having enough of your cocktail for your next boob job.  ;)

Thanks for the recipe though - I've been looking for it also.

-Ken-

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
He means NO SILICA.  Silica is added to some antifreeze brands to scour the system clean continuously.  It will wear the coating on an aluminum block (yes, your block has an internal coating) and possibly deteriorate gaskets and seals.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Steve.  I found the Prestone water pump lube at our local Meijer store last year and still have more than half a bottle left.  I actually needed to get this done Saturday, so I went with a 50/50 mix of full strength Prestone AF and distilled water.  I may flush and refill in the summer if I am not comfortable with the temps I'm running, though.  As far as winter is concerned, I try not to ride below 40F and the bike stays in my attached, unheated, but insulated garage where I haven't seen the temps below 45F even when the outside temps are in the single digits.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
 yes, I meant silicate.  I have an opinion of the nice talking down I just got, but I'll keep it to myself. Steve