Author Topic: Blue wire to where ??? on Cruise Cotnrol install.  (Read 2090 times)

Offline kzz1king

Blue wire to where ??? on Cruise Cotnrol install.
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
I am trying to finish up a bunch of wiring chores. The directions for the Audiovox install states that the blue ties into the black ground wire for 1 & 4. I only have one black wire (T-Cros stick coils). Looking at the wiring schematic I don't think it matters but thought I would seek confirmation.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Blue wire to where ??? on Cruise Cotnrol install.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Well, T-Cro would be the one to know for sure.  He'll probably be along shortly.

Thinking a little about it, (And without consulting a wiring diagram) it might matter.  Since I think the wire in question is the one that senses the "speed" of the bike.  (Actually senses the RPM by reading the voltage off the coils)  If all four stick coils go through one ground wire, it might make a difference to what the cruise control "sees".  If it does, then changing the DIP switches on the cruise control would correct this.  (Though I don't know what changes would have to be made)

Yeah, not the most helpful answer, but someone with more/better knowledge will surely be along soon.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Blue wire to where ??? on Cruise Control install.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:43:48 AM »
Hello.... Here I am.

Your CC wire can be "tapped" into EITHER the Black negative pulse wire for 1 & 4 or the Green negative pulse wire for 2 & 3 as all your CC is looking to do is count the pulses so that it can judge speed.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:49:25 AM »
If all four stick coils go through one ground wire, it might make a difference to what the cruise control "sees".

All coils (2 or 4) are fed from a single "keyed" source a non pulsed + 12VDC which is the Red wire... The Black & Green wires are pulsed negatives and are what makes the coils fire.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:07:51 AM »
Thank you sir! I am good to go.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
All coils (2 or 4) are fed from a single "keyed" source a non pulsed + 12VDC which is the Red wire... The Black & Green wires are pulsed negatives and are what makes the coils fire.
Yeah, now that I've slept, I remember all that.   ;D  Wouldn't work too well if they both went through one ground, would it?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
Yeah, now that I've slept, I remember all that.   ;D  Wouldn't work too well if they both went through one ground, would it?

Express or regular Inn? :)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
Express or regular Inn? :)
Haha.  Nope, just my own bed, during the night (when I'm usually working at job #1), after a long day helping out another forum member and working at job #2.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
FWIW ... If I remember, I think the instructions for the CC called for the dip switches to be set at the medium setting as in regard to the power of the application you were setting it up for.  IIRC, low setting for high powered vehicles, medium setting for average vehicles and high setting for low powered stuff.   When mine was set at the medium setting the CC came on really strong and really jumped up to speed.  I think I switched the dip switches to the low setting so it would not come on so strong.   Joe
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645