Author Topic: C10 dash shelf  (Read 9480 times)

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
C10 dash shelf
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »
Anyone have one? What are your thoughts on it? Any better reccomendations for mounting a GPS? I just purchased a Tom Tom rider on eBay and I am thinking about how to mount it.

http://www.bucksporttouring.com/dash.html

Thanks
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: C10 dash shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:59 AM »
I really like the dash that Buck makes.. That said, my Zumo is mounted on my tank via a ring mount. No vibration, and out of constant view.
I've heard of vibration problems when the units are mounted to the bars, aux mirror mounts, triple tree bracket.. I think there are three
viable options: Tankbag, Tank mount, Bucks Dash. JMHO..

Tank mount bracket
http://www.ecrater.com/p/4827602/adjustable-tank-mount-for-motorcycles-camera
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
I was thinking of that but my tank bag is pretty big and I can't/don't want to sacrifice it for the GPS because of the hydration system. That said, the bag goes over the gas cap so it would probably not fit with the tank adapter.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »
I have one.   I really like it.  I thought it was a bit pricey until I saw it.   It's an incredibly high quality piece.  I had something similar for a VStrom I used to ride, and mounting a gps on it caused it to bounce and wiggle all over the place.  Not with this one.  Rock solid.  Here's a picture:

As you can see, I have a Clearview screen with a vent, so I did not use the pre-drilled holes in the shelf for my GPS as it would have blocked the air flow through the vent.   

One other thing to note, to make everything fit, I had to remove my 1.5" handlebar risers because my fingers would clip the turn-down on the shelf.   Turns out I don't like the riding position without the risers, so I decided to cut off about 3/4" of the turn-down piece.   Now, I'm able to use my risers with no clearance issues.   I bought some automotive door trim to cover the sharp raw edge of the shelf, and it looks like it came that way, with no clearance issues.   Very happy now.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:54 AM »
Here's a couple shots of the finished product.  It killed me to cut into the shelf as it's such a nice piece, but it had to be done for me to comfortably use these risers.   Without cutting, it only was an issue at full lock, but I was afraid that at slow maneuvering speeds, at full lock, a finger pinch could have some serious consequences.   The amount I trimmed has no effect on being able to mount things to the turn-down, as you can see with my thermometer and voltmeter.

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:44:37 AM »
Buckeye,

Thank you for the explanation and the pics! I had never thought about the clearance issues with the risers...hmmm...that may be something to consider. I have the cee baileys shield and it has a vent right in the middle like yours and it would be blocked by the GPS. Not sure what to do yet. Was it difficult to cut? How about the general installation procedure?

Thanks
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
Install is not hard at all.  You have to drill out and retap a couple of the stock windshield mounting holes for the larger hardware, but everything you need and some real good instructions are included.   If you can replace your windscreen and can use a tap, you're golden.

I was worried about the cutting because it's pretty beefy steel, but I used my Dremel and one of those reinforced metal cutting wheels, measured and drew a line in pencil, and very slowly and carefully cut with the shelf still in place.  Now that I have all that stuff mounted up there, removing the shelf is a pain, so I decided to do it while still installed.  I covered the bike up with and old sheet and took my time.   That Dremel wheel cut through it like butter.   Very easy, just keep your hand steady to make a nice straight cut and be careful not to let the wheel slip out and cut your stock dash.   There's plenty of room behind it, but if it slips out you can nick your stock stuff. 

Even if you make a mistake, those trim pieces I used will hide it nicely.  Plus it makes a sharp metal edge a soft, protected rounded rubber edge.     I got the trim at Auto Zone for like $3.

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
Have one, love it, recommend it highly.
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
Been riding around for a week now with things just thrown up there, Pack of cards, box of Fiddle faddle and some smokes!

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »
Buckeye,

I went ahead and ordered one. First thing I'll do is cut out those 3/4" before I install the dash cause I know I'll keep my risers. I'll let you know how it turn out once I get it and mount it. Thanks for your help with this!
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 05:20:20 AM »
Did you talk to Buck? If so, I wonder if it's possible for Buck to do the 'cut', which would be cleaner to do during the initial setup of the shelf..
It would help all folks with risers, and would finally motivate me enough to buy one..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
Buckeye,

I went ahead and ordered one. First thing I'll do is cut out those 3/4" before I install the dash cause I know I'll keep my risers. I'll let you know how it turn out once I get it and mount it. Thanks for your help with this!

Good deal!  It's a great piece.   I can't think of a better way to mount stuff to the Connie.

Did you talk to Buck? If so, I wonder if it's possible for Buck to do the 'cut', which would be cleaner to do during the initial setup of the shelf..
It would help all folks with risers, and would finally motivate me enough to buy one..

That would be a much better way to do it yes.  I wonder if he would make one with less of a turn-down.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 06:27:03 AM »
I am curious about the mounting. Looking at Bucks website he shows the wings bent upward and mounted to the windshield mounting holes, but your pics seem to show that the wings bend down. Is that true? If so I wonder why the difference?

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 06:39:33 AM »
looks neat will it vibratttteeee..
 :)

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
I'll never know. My order fell through. Ordered one on may 22 for a trip I have planned this weekend and my order just kept getting delayed despite my weekly check-in calls to Buck. Yesterday, I finally decided to pull the plug and ask buck for a refund which he happily gave me. Stand up guy for
 Doing that but I guess this also means that my shelf was not even started....oh well...
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:55 AM »
It is a shame that happened. I would think that if he shows it on his site then he should try to always have at least one on hand. Not a real good business practice.

Offline Crashcup

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Texan,
Are you looking for a shelf to mount multiple gadgets? I can see where a shelf like that would be preferred, but if you're mounting only the GPS, the dash itself works. I've got my Garmin mounted there with a round RAM base with 1" ball, a medium RAM arm, and a cradle specific for the Nuvi.

To mount the base, the bottom of the dash has to come off - a couple of screws IIRC - to fasten with nyloc nuts and fender washers to spread the load. I also ran the power cable up under the fairing and out one of the vents. Makes for a neat installation. I'm sure I saw this kind of mounting from doing a search here.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
Crashcup,

Thats the route I am leaning towards. I ordered a RAM mount specific to my gps unit and it should be at my door tomorrow. If you have pics of your mounting method please feel free to share them. You got my mind juices flowing!
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
There are some other things that I want to put up there like my radar detector. I have all that mounted now but would like to get them all located at the top so a shelf would be nice. Plus there are some other items I would like to attach to it.

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
I wouldnt mind having one, but my GPS is on a ram mount right now.  It might vibrate a little but not so much I have trouble with it.  Its been on there for over a year now and hasnt hurt it.