Author Topic: Coolant log leak  (Read 5683 times)

Offline throb

Coolant log leak
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
  Has anyone ever had or heard of the coolant log (the one by the carbs) leaking?  I mean the log itself where the thermostat housing bolts to.  I'm in the process of adjusting the valve clearance and while manuevering the valve cover out, the bike leaked some coolant from that area.  It's difficult to tell exactly where it's coming from, but it's either the neck area of the log or perhaps the O ring that seals the thermostat housing and log together failed?  Any experience or suggestion?  I know I'll find out when I fire it up (installed SISF cam sprocket too), but curiosity is killing me!    :o
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline jim_de_hunter

Re: Coolant log leak
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
There's a screw that holds the tube to the thermostat housing mounted with it's head down, threads up.  It wasn't uncommon C-10 to lose that screw and have the tube and housing come apart.  I lost mine about a mile from home and lost all my coolant. 

The tube has a o-ring and if it get canted, it will leak a little.

I got lucky and found the screw on the transmission and had it put back together in an hour or so.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline jttf

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
Its the log o-rings, once moved it breaks the seal as the 0-ring is old dry and disorted, Murph sells a coolent log o-ring kit for pretty cheap.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
Probably the log.  Unless someone knows an easier way, you will have to remove carbs to replace the log o-rings and you may as well plan on doing the o-ring on the tube that goes to the thermostat housing too but maybe that comes with the kit.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline throb

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »
Well, I'm hoping for it just to be an o-ring and yes, I'm prepared to do the carb removal thing, then pull the log and replace all of them.  Only having to spend $5 or 6 for a few new o-rings is a lot easier to swallow than that plus another $75 or so for a new log.... >:(
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:35:06 AM »
Unfortunately I ran out of time buttoning everything back up and didn't get the valve cover/head surface cleaned properly yet, so I haven't had a chance to fire it and see where the surprise will come from.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00:58 AM »
Quite a few people have reported disturbing the thermostat housing and getting a leak.  Make sure the thermostat housing looks to visably straight.  You might be able to warp it back into possition.  If you pull it all apart, I would definitely replace the thermostat and the o-ring there also.

Instead of buying the Kawasaki thermostat, go to you local autoparts store and tell them you need one for a 1983 Honda Accord.  Pick the brand you want, and get a 195 degree one.  Also drill a 1/16" hole in the face of it so it can burb air past it when closed.

If it was mine, I'd pull it at this point and place/clean all of it.  Change the coolant too if it has been a while to reset the clock on it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline throb

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Thanks RFH!  Was hoping it wasn't just me this has happened to...not that I subscribe to the "misery loves company" philosophy or anything. I will wait until I have a chance to fire it up and see exactly where the leak is coming from, but already have a plan depending on if it's from the log itself, or the thermostat.  If so, I will certainly follow your advice and replace ALL the O rings, and thermostat.  Coolant was replaced last spring so I would just need to top that off.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Does the original thermo. have a weep hole in it?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

I don't think it does (I could be wrong).  There's an original one on my bench at home - I will have to look again.  A small weep hole added will help keep the temp gauge from going from one extreme to another at cooler temps.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
I have sprung a leak there almost every time I have adjusted my valves, with the first time being about 40,000 miles ago. Nothing was ever replaced. My housing moved a bit and started leaking, so I took a piece of wood and bumped it back into place after reading about it somewhere. It has worked every time and the bike does not leak a drop of coolant. It might help to give this a try before ordering parts and taking things apart. Good luck figuring out a fix.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline throb

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
  Well, here's a follow for whoever cares...looks like RFH and Dan were correct....I pushed the thermostat housing towards the rear of the bike and guess what?...the leak appeared from the o-ring between the housing and the log.  After I put the valve cover back on and fired Connie up, there was absolutely no coolant leak.... :o....happy, yes!....trusting, absolutely not!    :o...so there is good news, more good news and bad news.  First, the good....no coolant leak, but I still plan on pulling the carbs, coolant block and replacing all the o-rings.  More good news;  SISF exhaust cam makes Connie rev like there's no tomorrow.  In conjunction with the 2 minute jet mod, this motor runs like a freakin' top!.  Now, the bad....no doubt no one's fault but mine, but Connie leaks a little oil from the rear of the valve cover gasket, so I get to pull stuff apart again and reseal it.....I have no gripes though, based on how much smoother she runs after SISF exhaust sprocket!   :chugbeer:

Offline Summit670

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
Throb, you can replace that lower therm housing o-ring without pulling carbs because the therm housing is held onto the log by a small bolt that I accessed very carefully from below the carbs and using socket extension.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
  leaks a little oil from the rear of the valve cover gasket,

If the rubber "doughnuts" on the valve cover bolts are old/hard/flat, the bolts may not pull the valve cover down enough to seal it.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline throb

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
you can replace that lower therm housing o-ring without pulling carbs

Yes, I figured as much but was thinking along the lines that as long as I'm replacing one, may as well replace all three on there, just one less thing to give out.  Not certain what the life expectancy of the o rings are, but they're already 7 years old.

Offline throb

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
If the rubber "doughnuts" on the valve cover bolts are old/hard/flat, the bolts may not pull the valve cover down enough to seal it.

This I didn't realize, but it makes sense.  There were two off them that "popped" off.  They had a dab of RTV under them.  I just wiped it off and reinstalled, not really paying attention to their condition.  The leak is right about in the very middle of the rear, where one of the bolts goes.  From what I can see, the gasket is seated properly, so I will pay extra attention to the doughnuts when I pop the valve cover back off.  Thanks for the info, Beav!

Offline Summit670

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

Yes, I figured as much but was thinking along the lines that as long as I'm replacing one, may as well replace all three on there, just one less thing to give out.  Not certain what the life expectancy of the o rings are, but they're already 7 years old.

Just to give you an idea, my o-rings on my 87 are at the end of their life after 25 years.  About 2 years ago I pulled the therm cover and that o-ring was just like pics I've seen, all dissolved looking and flakey.  I think in the process of breaking those 2 bolts loose I disturbed the lower o-ring and had to replace that within a few weeks.  Haven't done the log-engine rings but wish I would have when I had the carbs off a month ago.

As far as the exhaust side log, well, I'll wait on those till I see some leakage, I think, because that looks like a big job too but maybe it is possible to get in there easier that I think it is.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline Karl

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

Yes it does.   It is necessary because the old Connie has a non-bypass cooling system.  Sorry the picture I attached is a bit blurry.

Good luck to ye.
"did you check them points?"