Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
What does this mean?
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
Hey all.  I'm right at 21k on my '08, with all services completed on time.  I have noticed lately that on corners (especially right hand as I favor those) the inside bar end seems to pull TO the inside.  It's not a big deal, but I was wondering if suspension adjustments might help. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
Hey all.  I'm right at 21k on my '08, with all services completed on time.  I have noticed lately that on corners (especially right hand as I favor those) the inside bar end seems to pull TO the inside.  It's not a big deal, but I was wondering if suspension adjustments might help.

Probably.  Your tires are wearing, most likely.  But I won't comment about WHAT adjustments to make, because I am really bad with such stuff.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jayke

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
Congratulations on being a righty.  I like lefty turns better.

Might just be your tires.  Run your hand across them.  Is there a dip on the right side?

I wear the left side of my rear tire out first. The dip on the left is pretty pronounced right before I change it.  It’s like riding on an edge, the bike pretty much falls into left turns.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »

It's doubtful that the suspension settings have any effect on the change you feel.  The suspension settings are the same as they were before you noticed a difference in handling.  The only thing that has changed is your tires.  As tires wear the effect they have on the handling of the bike will also be altered.  The tires wear gradually and your perception of handling differences will usually go unnoticed until the feel of the bike in corners is markedly different.  When you replace the worn tires with new ones you will immediately be aware of the difference and your handling will be the same as it was when the just replaced tires were new provided your new tires are the same as the old ones.  A change in tire brands will usually show as a difference in handling that can be anywhere between no perceptible change to very markedly changed.  As you say, it's not a big deal so just finish wearing out the current rubber and then notice the difference when you mount the new tires.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Suspect tire ware like others have said.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Or even inflation pressures.  Five pounds under what I normally run makes it feel like a totally different bike.  Sluggish in the turns.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
A change in tire brands will usually show as a difference in handling that can be anywhere between no perceptible change to very markedly changed.

The difference between the stock Bridgestones and PR3's is on the "incredible" side of the scale. I've just scrubbed off the first 100 miles on the PR3's and I am amazed at the difference, and I remember what the 'Stones felt like when new, so it's not just the change from old to new.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Well thanks all.  Its been so nice here I might have to feel the tire while underway cause I really dont want to stop!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
The difference between the stock Bridgestones and PR3's is on the "incredible" side of the scale. I've just scrubbed off the first 100 miles on the PR3's and I am amazed at the difference, and I remember what the 'Stones felt like when new, so it's not just the change from old to new.

Describe the difference (if words are possible)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:31:32 AM »
 :o   vs   ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
:o   vs   ;D
You have a way with words :P

Something not mentioned (probably is tires), check your bearings, bike on center stand, weight back of bike to elevate front, and see if the front tire has any side play.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Yep, it's all your fault.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.