Author Topic: white condinsation/haze?? in the oil level check window???????  (Read 7973 times)

Offline jamcou2020

white condinsation/haze?? in the oil level check window???????
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
Hey guys changed the oil 400 miles ago I noticed that my oil is a little low just a little bit above the fill line. Above the oil there is a white haze or condinsation on the inside of the viewing window. Has anyone else exsperanced this?

Offline jamcou2020

Re: white condinsation/haze?? in the oil level check window???????
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »
Lol no one else has exsperianced this god I hope it doesn't mean there water in my oil

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »
Pretty common in the winter if you have made some short trips.  If it's below 40 degrees or so you need to ride about 20 to 30 miles each trip to heat the engine and oil completely so it will evaporate the condensation.  If it's white and doesn't look like antifreeze in the oil there should not be anything to worry about.  Remember, no short hops when it's cold.  :)
T.S.R.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:17:25 AM »
Hey guys changed the oil 400 miles ago I noticed that my oil is a little low just a little bit above the fill line. Above the oil there is a white haze or condinsation on the inside of the viewing window. Has anyone else exsperanced this?

Not sure what the highlighted text means.....  Which fill line, the upper or lower?  Anyway, sometimes a vent tube can get clogged or kinked and will present the condensation problem.  Could also be the thermostat.  Conrad had an issue with that.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3191.msg38198#msg38198
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:32 AM »
Not sure what the highlighted text means.....  Which fill line, the upper or lower?  Anyway, sometimes a vent tube can get clogged or kinked and will present the condensation problem.  Could also be the thermostat.  Conrad had an issue with that.

A new 'stat fixed that problem. Do you have any oil foam inside of your oil filler cap?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »

Lower fill line.

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:56:28 AM »
A new 'stat fixed that problem. Do you have any oil foam inside of your oil filler cap?
Ill have to check when I leave from work this morning. If I do what does it mean?

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »
Pretty common in the winter if you have made some short trips.  If it's below 40 degrees or so you need to ride about 20 to 30 miles each trip to heat the engine and oil completely so it will evaporate the condensation.  If it's white and doesn't look like antifreeze in the oil there should not be anything to worry about.  Remember, no short hops when it's cold.  :)
yes it was below 40 45 mon trip to work 10 min warm up before I took off so 55 min of running time

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:05:16 AM »
Ill have to check when I leave from work this morning. If I do what does it mean?

That's what mine did. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the 'stat under warranty. I had a bit of oil foam (emulsion) in the crankcase vent tube as well, follow the link that Jim posted for pics.

My bike wouldn't ever warm up past one, maybe two, bars on the temp gauge.

After 50 mins of running time, yours should have boiled all that moisture off.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
Actually it's fairly common on all motorcycle engines with a sight window at the oil level.  Same thing happens in your car engine, but you just don't see it.  Nothing to get alarmed about, except as a reminder to make long trips every once in a while to burn the condensation out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »
Actually it's fairly common on all motorcycle engines with a sight window at the oil level.  Same thing happens in your car engine, but you just don't see it.  Nothing to get alarmed about, except as a reminder to make long trips every once in a while to burn the condensation out.

The OP said that he made a 55 min trip, I would think that should be long enough to get the 'normal' condensation out, don't you?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

Someone is making Lattes in your engine?  Actually it could mean you have a faulty thermostat.  How many bars on the heat gauge do you have showing once you consider the engine is warmed up?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
I noticed the same thing the other day. When mine is idling, it will get hot enough to make the fans come on, even in cold weather. But when I get going down the road, the temp gauge only shows one line. Is this normal and if so, why doesn't the temp regulate better like a car? Does anyone use a radiator cover like a diesel to help them run hotter in the winter?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Before I had my 'stat changed out my bike would never get over one line on the temp gauge, unless I was at a stop light or something. In the cold weather I sometimes wouldn't even see one line while riding.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Before I had my 'stat changed out my bike would never get over one line on the temp gauge, unless I was at a stop light or something. In the cold weather I sometimes wouldn't even see one line while riding.

I've never seen no lines, so I'm guessing mine is ok.(?)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
I've never seen no lines, so I'm guessing mine is ok.(?)

Sorry, I meant bars and not lines. Do you not see any bars on your temp guage after the bike has warmed up?

Offline okxd45

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
I meant bars as well.  If it sits and idles, I can get the fans to come on. But it always drops to one bar once I start moving.
Jeff

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
I meant bars as well.  If it sits and idles, I can get the fans to come on. But it always drops to one bar once I start moving.

Even in the warm weather? That sounds like how mine was acting before the new 'stat.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Even in the warm weather? That sounds like how mine was acting before the new 'stat.

No, in warm weather, it will run with 2 to 3 bars. I've been taking short trips this winter, so I think that is the cause of the condensation.
Jeff

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »
No, in warm weather, it will run with 2 to 3 bars. I've been taking short trips this winter, so I think that is the cause of the condensation.

Ah, you should be ok then.