Author Topic: Bike trailer rental/loan  (Read 5333 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Bike trailer rental/loan
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
It's official, I have accepted a job in North Carolina and will be starting there on March 19th. The bike is coming with me, of course, and I'm looking for the best way to get it there. For various reasons, the best option, riding it, is not available for this trip. I need to haul or tow it. I have a small pickup (Ranger, 4.0 L) that will carry or tow it with no problems. My concerns putting it in the bed are that the bike will be resting on the open tail gate for the entire trip, I will loose the bed storage for other stuff, and I will eventually have to figure out how to get my cap back from NY. The only issue I have towing it is the cost of a 1 way rental, over $300. Anyone have any ideas or a trailer to loan until my next trip back to NY to return it? Thanks.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Conrad

Re: Bike trailer rental/loan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Congrats on the new job.

If you end up having to put the bike in the back of the truck maybe you could get a 2x10, or similar, to put under the wheels to help distribute the weight on the tailgate? Just a thought.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
I have one I just got from a friend.  Needs to have new lights put on it to get it to NY spec.  I've still got to go and register it, too.  I'll try to get it registered next week, and assuming that all goes fine, (trailer was from NJ) if you want to give me a quick hand installing the new lights, (I have a nice set of LED lights I just got from Harbor Freight) you're welcome to borrow it.  It already has tie-down points and a wheel chock.

Possible down-side is, I don't have a spare tire for it yet.  And NC is a long haul without a spare.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
Congrats on the new job.

Thanks!

If you end up having to put the bike in the back of the truck maybe you could get a 2x10, or similar, to put under the wheels to help distribute the weight on the tailgate? Just a thought.

I like it!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
I have one I just got from a friend.  Needs to have new lights put on it to get it to NY spec.  I've still got to go and register it, too.  I'll try to get it registered next week, and assuming that all goes fine, (trailer was from NJ) if you want to give me a quick hand installing the new lights, (I have a nice set of LED lights I just got from Harbor Freight) you're welcome to borrow it.  It already has tie-down points and a wheel chock.

Possible down-side is, I don't have a spare tire for it yet.  And NC is a long haul without a spare.

As always, Jon, you're  there to lend a hand when I need it. I would love to lend a hand with lights, I'm pretty good at that, but spare time is in short supply with my move coming up so soon and the house on the market with short notice. If you have a time in mind to do the lights, let me know and I'll see if I can get down to give you a hand. As far as a spare tire is concerned, buying one for the trailer would seem like a fair trade to me. I appreciate the offer, and if the details work out, may take you up on it.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
but spare time is in short supply with my move coming up so soon
Oh, yeah.  I skimmed over the "March 19th" part.  Yeah, that is soon.  I've been procrastinating about the lights, and should just get my ass in gear and get them done.  Now I have incentive.  I'll try to get to them this week and let you know.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
Wow Jon, that would be awesome. If you have a day or time in mind for working on the lights, let me know and I'll try to get down to help out. Otherwise, don't rush the project on my account. The offer alone means a lot. I'm sure there will be multiple trips back and forth as the house sale in NY and purchase in NC progress, but I could not gurantee when the trailer would get back north. My Brother (you met him) will make a trip down and back in April, so that may be the return date if I do end up borrowing your trailer. Thanks again.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
Wow Jon, that would be awesome. If you have a day or time in mind for working on the lights, let me know and I'll try to get down to help out. Otherwise, don't rush the project on my account. The offer alone means a lot. I'm sure there will be multiple trips back and forth as the house sale in NY and purchase in NC progress, but I could not gurantee when the trailer would get back north. My Brother (you met him) will make a trip down and back in April, so that may be the return date if I do end up borrowing your trailer. Thanks again.
Well, other than overtime, I'm off from my primary job for the next three weeks, except for next weekend.  So, I'll have plenty of 'spare' time during the days between shifts driving school buses.  So I won't be rushing anything, just getting my ass in gear to do something I should have already done.   ;D  I got it from a friend who moved and didn't have room for it anymore, and offered it for free.  I don't have a real "need" for it, as I do my best to never trailer my bike.  But I have room to keep it, and it can come in handy for myself, or (in this case) for someone else who does need it.  My whole reasoning for getting it was to help if someone needed.  (Hoping to never need it for my own bike!)

So, in short, (too late!) I'll get it registered and get the lights on it and you can borrow it when you need.  Return it when you can.

You'll need to supply your own tie-downs, though, as I haven't gotten around to purchasing anything that I'd trust for a bike.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
That will be fantastic. I have tie downs that I bought fot the bikes, nothing special or pricey, but I'll use them all and will be comfortable in the bikes security. I always check ties at every stop, regardless of what I'm towing. Arrangements and offers like this are what make this forum COG, and the people associated with both the best! ;D Thanks again.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
Lights are done!  Pending OT, I'm going to get it registered tomorrow.

Here's what you'll be borrowing:

The slot in the back of it appears just large enough to accept a 2x12.  Looks like you could stick it in there and drop the end and it would work as a ramp, without any fancy ramp ends.  I don't have a ramp, or even a 2x12, so you'll have to supply your own.  The trailer isn't very high off the ground, so getting a bike on and off should be easy.

The sides come off if you want.  Or throw some extra cargo on there around the bike.

Using some extra pieces of trailer wire, I even wired up an extension in case the wires don't reach the plug on your truck.  It uses a standard 4-pin flat connector.  I have a converter for a 7-way RV type trailer connector if you need it.  (6 flat pins around a center round pin)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
Jon, you're  the best! That looks like it will work out very nicely. I'm sure I can come up with something for a ramp, I've gots lots of scrap/excess lumber around and can double up some 2x6 if I don't have anything wider. The trailer looks nice and solid, I should be able to take some extra "necessities" if I choose to. I have plenty of ratchet straps to anchor her down solidly. I appreciate this more than you know.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »
Although I won't have time to get to it before you leave, I'm thinking of adding fenders.  I might try making some out of a couple of old tires I have laying around.  Cut them in half, cut the outer sidewall off, and bolt them to the sides of the trailer.  Maybe attach an extra piece of cut-off tread to extend them far enough out to really cover the wheels.  Although I don't know if the tires I have will be big enough.  The 15" wheels on this trailer seem huge.  I'm much more accustomed to seeing 8" or 12" wheels.

Oh, I just remembered the other thing I wanted to do to get it ready.  Take the lug nuts off and on, just to make sure they move OK if needed.  I'll grab the impact wrench tomorrow and do that real quick.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
If you don't get to the lugs, I can do that and hit the threads with some Never-Seize just for good measure. Speaking of measuring, do you know the bolt pattern of the wheels so I can pick up a spare? I ASSume they are 5 lug, but sometimes the spacing differes, especially if they are automotive instead of trailer wheels.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:03 PM »
Trailer got registered and inspected today.  All set to go.

Wheels appear to be a 4-1/2" bolt circle.  5-bolt pattern. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
Well, I went outside, grabbed the impact wrench, and went to do the lug nuts.  First wheel looked weird.  Like they were acorn nuts.  Turns out, all 5 were on backwards.   :o  The holes look OK, so I just put them on correctly and they seem fine.  Put a little never-seize on them, too.  Other wheel had the nuts mounted correctly.   :loco:

But as I was working, I noticed there seemed to be a bit of slop in the bearings.  Shook the wheel a little and there was between 1/16"~1/8" of movement - at the hub!  On both wheels!  So, I tightened up the axle nuts until the movement went away, (3+ complete turns of each axle nut!  :banghead: ) and it seems MUCH better now.  Will probably tow better, too, since it won't track wherever it wants.  That little bit (OK, it's a LOT) of movement at the hub made for a LOT of movement at the tread.  Seemed like close to 1".   :o

I greased the bearings the other day, but I want to do it again, since I think it is likely that the grease didn't wind up where it should have with that much movement.  But my grease gun was empty.  (They took a lot of grease the other day)  So, I'll grab a tube tomorrow and get them lubed up again.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
Wow, Jon, you're really going through that thing! Nice catch on the lug nuts and the bearings being a tad loose, too! I have the day off Friday, and tomorow evening without specific plans (farewell party at work and family gathering on Wednesday and Thursday). What will work for you as far as picking it up? My brother John may also be willing to pick it up for me, he's closer to you.
COG 9331

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 06:13:23 AM »
I got a call from Blaise last night around 9:30pm. He made the trip just fine- said the bike traveled on the trailer wonderfully. He was going to take the bike off today and get himself settled in.

Thanks again Jon! That trailer was exactly what he needed.  :thumbs:
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 06:47:09 AM »
Yup, right now it's off to find some breakfast, fuel for the RV, a giant car wash also for the RV and groceries for me. When I get back I'll level and hook up the RV and search for some friendly neighbors to help unload the bike. Hopefully someone has a board to act as a ramp, or I need to get to a lumber yard too!! :-\ (we used my brothers ramps to load it)
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
Glad to be of service.  Enjoy your riding.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
Riding to start as soon as tomorow evening. I want to drive the truck on the first day and check out the commute and parking accomodations for the bike, as well as security issues of the parking. The only problem unloading the bike was rain the night before. The deck was wet and slick and the front tire had no traction while I backed down the ramp. No issues, I had a spotter and the bike tracked straight, even with the front wheel locked, and I just eased it to the ground where I could easily touch ground and handle the bike.
COG 9331