Author Topic: The "SMIDSY"  (Read 3199 times)

Son of Pappy

The "SMIDSY"
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Well, for some riding season is drawing near so I think it's a good time to help raise awareness and sharpen some skills. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eqQBubilSXU#!

Son of Pappy

Offline connie1

• Arena
Re: The "SMIDSY"
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
Thanks Pappy!   
I learned something from that smidsy video.  May just save me someday!
Keep them coming.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:34 AM »
Yes.  Thanks.  Wow, I do the weaving as well.  Didn't know that it had a name.  If you notice the car has a telephone pole in the driver's view.  We can stay behind that for quite a distance.  Door pillars also mask us.   It doesn't take much for us to disappear from a driver's view.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »
Geez, no wonder they crashed. They're driving on the wrong side of the road!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:03 AM »
There's that as well...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
Excellent video! I never knew about the weaving to alert a possible SMIDSY (I didn't even know the term SMIDSY until now). I'm going to start practicing that from now on.

One thing my brother did with his Valkyrie is to put 2 small bullet lights down on the engine guards. The triangular light patter makes him look like a train coming at you. It is really distinctive. I believe it really reduces the odds of the pull out in front of you type of SMIDSY in the video.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
In addition to the "SMIDSY" I also installed the Hyper Whites in modulate mod.  I've had em for close to 3 years and some 40,000 miles, never, not once have I had an issue with LEO.  I decided the added visibility made it a risk worth taking, they are also nice if setting up camp.

So, share what you do to up your chance of survival.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
Best investment for riding, bar none, that I've made.  I am visible.

http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
E X C E L L E N T !

Thanks for posting!
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »
Interesting video Chet but I have to say that it is unnerving watching the English make a right- hand turn in an intersection while driving on the left- hand side of the road. It just screams 'wrong' to me.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
I agree!  The right left right comment was kinda odd, makes ya wonder how those who drive there feel about all the vids from the US and other right side driving countries. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:48 AM »
Some folks around here drive in the middle at times, so it doesn't matter.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:25 AM »
Interesting video Chet but I have to say that it is unnerving watching the English make a right- hand turn in an intersection while driving on the left- hand side of the road. It just screams 'wrong' to me.

Brian

How can anything be so wrong and yet be right...

Offline booger

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
Good video

But he talks funny and drives on the wrong side of the road. ;)

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
I've been doing this for years. First time I've seen it done or referenced by anyone. I know it has saved my butt at least a couple times!

Speaking of driving on the wrong side of the road, I just got back from a week in London, and the motorcyclists are nuts! They all seem to wear a lot of protection though.

This really helps when you're trying to cross the road at a crosswalk! It's printed on the road at all crossings. One of my coworkers almost got nailed twice! Had to take a snapshot of it!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed