Author Topic: Is this the right place to ask about riding techniques for my C14?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline marku8a

I have had my C14 for about 10 months and am feeling comfortable about riding it more aggressively. Is this the right place to ask questions?

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Is this the right place to ask about riding techniques for my C14?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:23:50 AM »
Probably better than the CDA board. ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
Ask away.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »
It's not a sub 400 lb sportbike with sticky track tires; don't ride it that way, you'll be fine.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
Good as any, I would think.  Let's see how it does here for a bit.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »
Techniques? Hell I just ride depending on both where I am and how I feel.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
Two words:

Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough

Twist of the Wrist - Keith Code

Well, it's really two books.  Read them in the order listed.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
So, what are your questions?  Speaking for me and my observance of this forum, you will get some great ideas and even better humor ;D

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »
Probably better than the CDA board. ;)

That was funny!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline KawiG

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
Smiling from ear to ear is the proper technique for riding a c14...that's what I'll be doing.
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
I agree that its not a 400 bike, but after riding it for a while I question exactly why I own a 400lb bike.  A person gives up a ton of comfort and convenience for very little handling improvement.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
A few years ago I went as the sweep on a motorcycle tour. The lead was on his FJ1300. We never went more than 10 over any posted speed limit. From the first turn to the last of the day we followed his line through corners. He never failed to set the corner to best advantage. I had never ridden that smoothly for an extended period of time in the many miles I have travelled before. By the end of the second day we were like what you see on TV in MC races where the bikes are tucking in on the same line to take a corner.

His favorite books are the ones previously listed but consistant application is the key. I have seen him ride at speed and do not have the desire to do so myself but I am a better rider for following him.

So get some knowledge then find someone in your area that can critque your street riding.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »
Ask away.

Thanks, I will !

It's not a sub 400 lb sportbike with sticky track tires; don't ride it that way, you'll be fine.

You hit the nail on the head about my question. I have an MX and sportbike background. I have also been to a sportbike class putting a in coupe of days of track time. The instructors had us hanging off the bike, knee out like GP riders. It makes a huge difference compared to the sitting upright dirtbike style. I hear that some the C14 riders are dragging pegs and in extreme cases other parts of the bike. I have had mine leaned over to the point of seeing tire ware to within an 1/8 inch from the chicken strip. I didn't do much hanging off and no peg scraping.

So how are other C14 riders managing to get around corners quickly?

Mark
2009 C14 Red

Offline marku8a

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »

Twist of the Wrist - Keith Code

I forgot to mention the sportbike class I took was a Keith Code class and I read Twist of the Wrist. Excellent recommendation! Thanks.

Mark
2009 C14 Red

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
I forgot to mention the sportbike class I took was a Keith Code class and I read Twist of the Wrist. Excellent recommendation! Thanks.

Mark

A man has to know his limitations---Eastwood  We all learn from experience. I know I did. :yikes:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:45:44 AM »
You can scrape pegs, and other hard parts, if you want to but on this big girl it's better to use your body position and get set up for corners with a bit of trail braking. At least that's what I do.

Scraping stuff is dramatic but that doesn't mean that you're getting around the corner using the best form or making the quickest turn.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 05:03:59 AM »
You can scrape pegs, and other hard parts, if you want to but on this big girl it's better to use your body position and get set up for corners with a bit of trail braking. At least that's what I do.

Scraping stuff is dramatic but that doesn't mean that you're getting around the corner using the best form or making the quickest turn.
C, I agree. I consider myself a decent rider after all these years. Not the fastest. Not the slowest.
I do my best not to scare myself anymore. I've come to the conclusion that if I'm scraping hard parts on the 14 I've done something wrong.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:28 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »
The fact that it isn't a 400 lb sportbike is relevant for low speed handling, but not so much high speed handling.  With good tires, properly inflated and a correctly adjusted suspension, it will handle pretty close to a sportbike at speed.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
Yep, hard parts dragging is never good, use body weight to assist in turning, not knee dragging mind you, rather a slight hip and shoulder shift in the direction of your turn, setup early, set speed and entry point to the point you need no brake whilst in the turn.  Steady throttle to maintain suspension stability, a quick decel is no differant than a quick tap on the brakes.  Don' forget the eyes, look where ya want to go, your eyes are like the sights on a rifle.  This bike will never corner like a 600 but she will corner nicely if all the above is followed.  So, use the SMART ASS system, Scan for entry point and other potential road conditions, color and texture are great things to pay attention to for changing traction conditions, Mark entry point, Adjust speed and body position, Relax, tension destroys, and Throttle control.  (ASS is Advanced Street Skills).
Hope ya find these things helpfull,