Author Topic: Oil Filter  (Read 25178 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Oil Filter
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »

A) I was not spouting off, I have cut open plenty of oil filters,

B) I made my statement based on two things, one there are very few actual oil filter manufactures, therefore many of the oil filters made are made by the same companies.

thanks...
I have this to say, as i did before...
A) cut open this exact filter....
B) tell us who, exactly who, makes it.....

C) please don't assume, surmise, etc., about it  (who makes it...) and I have no interest in the Valk, ST, or any other long winded explanation.
This filter is quite unique in manufacture, I don't know who makes it, but in comparing it with all the top guns out there, I have NOT seen a similar one.

thanks again.

I would like to know, as would others....sorry to appear so mean, but that's all I have to say about that.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
You can find some pictures here:
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?127512-Inside-of-the-Ultra-Oil-Filter

Notice the different sponge like media and the lack of bypass valve. It's not the "exact" same filter (different threads), but it's built the same.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
yep, that's what it looks like inside...and I see we are not the only forum with people saying WIX etc...

as mentioned there is a bypass internal in the engine in the oil path.

as with the old Conni, C10, there a bypass was in the stem bolt that went thru the oem and all replacement cartridges.

valkmc

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
thanks...
I have this to say, as i did before...
A) cut open this exact filter....
B) tell us who, exactly who, makes it.....

C) please don't assume, surmise, etc., about it  (who makes it...) and I have no interest in the Valk, ST, or any other long winded explanation.
This filter is quite unique in manufacture, I don't know who makes it, but in comparing it with all the top guns out there, I have NOT seen a similar one.

thanks again.

I would like to know, as would others....sorry to appear so mean, but that's all I have to say about that.

No need to say your sorry, it does not matter to me what someone who I do not know says about what I think on a forum-it is just how it is in the internet age, no one speaks face to face anymore.

As for the filter, I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage and when I return from my summer trip I will put it on and cut it open when I am finished with it. I will post pictures when I do it.

When I leave central Florida next month for a 11,000 mile round trip to Alaska I will have a proven filter on my C14 and a spare in my bag, one I know will not let me down because I have used it for 100,000's of miles. I won't use something just because a company tells me it is the best, I like tried and tested.

Enjoy your bike, I know we can agree they are a lot of fun.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
I switch back and forth between the stock Kawi filter and the Purolator PL14610.   They both seem to work well for me as I usually change the oil and filter at approx 2 k miles as I run non synthetic oil.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »
Looks like it could possibly be a Denso oil filter, not a Wix. They have a manufacturing plant in Thailand and Japan.

These pictures are from a tractor, but the inside look similar.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/184611-inside-denso-oil-filter.html

These are from a Mitsubishi filter made by Denso:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1537930&fpart=2

Denso filters are pretty good, FYIY.

Offline Sindarin

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
Looks like it could possibly be a Denso oil filter, not a Wix. They have a manufacturing plant in Thailand and Japan.

Picked up a oil filter from the dealer last week and it is indeed a Denso, made in Japan.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »

These pictures are from a tractor, but the inside look similar.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/184611-inside-denso-oil-filter.html

These are from a Mitsubishi filter made by Denso:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1537930&fpart=2

thank you sir!!!
that is by all evidence, the exact same configuration, design of the innerds, and the seal retainer system, used on the oEM C14 filter....
I believe we now have a clear cut knowledge WHO DOES make that filter!!!

thanks again,

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
My guess is if someone we trust (MURPH!) carried an OEM or OEM-like filter (MURPH!) a lot of us on this board would spend money on those items at that shop (MURPH!)....  one stop shop, dealing with someone you trust (MURPH), knows our bike, etc.

I would....  I just bought 6 filters.  Had Murph sold them, I'd have paid whatever he was asking, cause I like him.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:03 AM »
My guess is if someone we trust (MURPH!) carried an OEM or OEM-like filter (MURPH!) a lot of us on this board would spend money on those items at that shop (MURPH!)....  one stop shop, dealing with someone you trust (MURPH), knows our bike, etc.

I would....  I just bought 6 filters.  Had Murph sold them, I'd have paid whatever he was asking, cause I like him.

Barry

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
Regarding the story about the Fram filter and the destroyed engine, it was stated that the problem was the seal on the filter. I have seen a similar failure in a Wix filter. In this instance, it was caught quickly when the oil pressure light came on (this was on a car, not a bike). It was very easy to find the problem due to the oil spray that was evident around the filter. When the filter was removed, a flaw in the gasket was fairly evident. What this amounted to was not properly inspecting the gasket before installing the oil filter. Ever since that episode (happened to my dad on one of the cars he bought when he took it to have the oil changed), I have judiciously inspected my filter gaskets prior to installation. In fact, I will usually pull them out of the box and look at them before I buy them.

By the way, I've used Fram filters on all of my cars for over 25 years with nary a problem.

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
The Supertech filters are $2.70 at our local Wal-Mart. It, and a jug of Rotella 15w/40w, will set you back about $15.00 total.

OK so I plan on changing my oil tonight....Rotella 15W40 and SuperTech filter...what model number is the filter (ST7317)?

Glad to hear other run Rotella and SuperTech filters. I have ran this combination on the last two bikes I have owned with no issues. Here again as long as you change your oil regularly I think you will be fine.

Ohh yeah one last quesiton...how many quarts do I need?

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:20 AM »
forgot to add a couple of other questions....I am at about 9,000 so I was also going to change plugs and final gear case oil....what plugs is everyone using, and what final gear case oil?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
OK so I plan on changing my oil tonight....Rotella 15W40 and SuperTech filter...what model number is the filter (ST7317)?

Glad to hear other run Rotella and SuperTech filters. I have ran this combination on the last two bikes I have owned with no issues. Here again as long as you change your oil regularly I think you will be fine.

Ohh yeah one last quesiton...how many quarts do I need?

4.5 qts oil will do ya.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm using this for my bike's gear oil.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
When you find out how much trouble it is to change spark plugs and how long the plugs actually last you may decide to put the plug change off until you do your valve adjustment.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:25 AM »
When you find out how much trouble it is to change spark plugs and how long the plugs actually last you may decide to put the plug change off until you do your valve adjustment.

Very true! 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »
Wix 51356 is the same as a

[size=14pt.........Fram PH7317

That's the same filter for the 2007 Nissan Exterra. I just bought one at Walmart.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Khrome

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »

uh oh  :o
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
No need to say your sorry, it does not matter to me what someone who I do not know says about what I think on a forum-it is just how it is in the internet age, no one speaks face to face anymore.

As for the filter, I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage and when I return from my summer trip I will put it on and cut it open when I am finished with it. I will post pictures when I do it.

When I leave central Florida next month for a 11,000 mile round trip to Alaska I will have a proven filter on my C14 and a spare in my bag, one I know will not let me down because I have used it for 100,000's of miles. I won't use something just because a company tells me it is the best, I like tried and tested.

Enjoy your bike, I know we can agree they are a lot of fun.

sooooooo we have not heard back from this poster, nor had his pictures posted about his findings..... prolly bought a GS and traded the old C14 in, instead of changing the oil....

just joking..... ;)

Offline billyzoom

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
It wouldn't matter to me which filters Wal-Mart carried or how cheap they are.  No way they're ever getting money from me.  Clearly I'm in the minority, but I've always been ahead of my time!
2007 Ducati S4Rs
2012 Kawasaki Concours