Author Topic: SiSF, Explain Your Cam Grinds?  (Read 9277 times)

Offline medicevans

SiSF, Explain Your Cam Grinds?
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
Steve, I know on the "old board" you wrote up a big thing explaining your different cam grinds you've developed.  I know I'm interested in them and why/how they are better and I bet a lot of other people are too.  I'm really liking the extra torque the 2mm and adv exhaust sprocket has given me, how much more would a cam grind add?

Can you explain it to all of us again?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: SiSF, Explain Your Cam Grinds?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Thanks Brian, I'm really busy right now trying to get a 1052cc zg1000 engine assembled, so I'm going to answer piecemeal. I'll start by posting up a dyno chart. This chart was done on the same day / time, 2 different 04 connies of appx the same mileage. the TODD bike was by far the strongest connie I've ever seen on a dyno, to the point that it's almost hard to believe; the OCAMPO bike has my TORQUE cams in it, which is the stock replacement cam I'm offerering. As you see, the bike with my cams outpowers the monster bike to just over 7000 rpm. In fact, look at the 3500 area. Now think of your normal riding... which bike do you think would be quicker for most connie riders? Steve

Offline medicevans

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »
Eagerly awaiting more, but by all means keep working on the bike so someone else can experience your magic.

So how do your torque cam curves look next to a more normal bike? Also, how does the torque curve compare between an exhaust sprocket bike and a torque cam bike?  Forgive me if this is all going to be addressed later, just my personal questions. I can be an overbearing eager beaver when I'm learning new stuff.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
Here's a dyno chart of the same bike, before with stock cams, advanced EX cam sprocket, 2 mm jet kit, and after with my power grind . Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »
Here's a dyno chart of the same bike, before with stock cams, advanced EX cam sprocket, 2 mm jet kit, and after with my power grind . Steve
  :goodpost: WOW that is an impressive change.  I was almost drooling while looking at that torque curve.  :hail:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:31:25 AM »
thanks Chris, it actually is a big change - folks don't realise how difficult it is to get more torque at lower rpms without boring the engine. Cams can make big power at high rpms by virtue of raising the RPM ceiling, and HP is a function of RPM. At lower rpms the only way to increase the torque is to increase the abilty to get the charge moving quickly and trap it before it escapes. That's what both these cam grinds do. The best part is that the torque cams are ground on stock cores, and the price is 275.00... a small price to pay if you have damaged cams and / or want more grunt from the engine without spending huge bux. Steve

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
Steve,

Just to clarify, the first chart you posted is with the torque grind, which are ground on stock ZG cams, and the second chart is with the power/ high lift grind, which are ground on ZX cams, correct?  I only ask because in your last post you mention the torque cams as though they are the ones in your second chart, so I was confused.   :nuts:
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Gary - you're correct - what i was refering to about the torque cams was that the price is very reasonable. Steve

Offline throb

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
Dammit, more stuff I didn't know I needed!!!   :thumbs:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »

Yep... so far I want everything SISF has made for us!

BTW, love your forum pic!  That's one tough kittie!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »

No kidding right!  Like I need more winter projects!  However, after riding with the adv exhaust sprocket and 2min mod, I'm addicted to torque. I think sending my cams in this winter might be in my future........Steve, what's the turn around like? 

Also, I know that in personal emails to you, you said there would be no reason to stack the sprocket on the torque grind as the torque grind put the valves in the position of the adv sprocket anyway.  I'm assuming you can't go ahead and stack them because further advancing the exhaust valves on top of the cams would mean negative clearance?

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
There seems to be quite a few addictive personalities on this forum. No wonder I feel right at home.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Equito

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
Thanks Brian, I'm really busy right now trying to get a 1052cc zg1000 engine assembled, so I'm going to answer piecemeal. I'll start by posting up a dyno chart. This chart was done on the same day / time, 2 different 04 connies of appx the same mileage. the TODD bike was by far the strongest connie I've ever seen on a dyno, to the point that it's almost hard to believe; the OCAMPO bike has my TORQUE cams in it, which is the stock replacement cam I'm offerering. As you see, the bike with my cams outpowers the monster bike to just over 7000 rpm. In fact, look at the 3500 area. Now think of your normal riding... which bike do you think would be quicker for most connie riders? Steve

Steve, what jetting changes (from stock) on the Campo/Torque Cam bike?

Offline medicevans

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »
Which ZX are the power cams ground on again?

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
Which ZX are the power cams ground on again?

1984-85 ZX/ GPz900 or 1986-87 ZX/ GPz1000.  I have a set that I'm waiting to get ground, plus an extra set for someone else.   ;) :D
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
oops - missed some questions - here ya go -

Turn around is immediate. I have cams ground and ready to go. I have a core return program in effect, so when you do the swap and ship your old cams back, I refund the core deposit.

as far as using my advanced exhaust cam sprocket aND the new cam grind, I don't advise it. the advanced sprocket is designed for the stock cam profile, the replacement / torque cams are appropriately timed already, just install in the specified position on the sprockets and you're done. Keep in mind that my advanced exhaust cam sprocket still has all the nessessary stock timing holes, so if you have my sprocket you just shift to the round countersink holes when using the new cams and you're good to go.

Jetting - the Ocampo bike does have my dedicated 2 minute mod jet kit installed. Stock jetting will work, the 2mm jet kit works a bit better - HTH, Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 07:08:29 AM »
Turn around is immediate. I have cams ground and ready to go. I have a core return program in effect, so when you do the swap and ship your old cams back, I refund the core deposit.
  as far as using my advanced exhaust cam sprocket aND the new cam grind, I don't advise it. the advanced sprocket is designed for the stock cam profile, the replacement / torque cams are appropriately timed already, just install in the specified position on the sprockets and you're done. Keep in mind that my advanced exhaust cam sprocket still has all the nessessary stock timing holes, so if you have my sprocket you just shift to the round countersink holes when using the new cams and you're good to go.

Steve, it sounds like there is a little confusion. Here is the info as I understand it.
Let me know if I  have this correct.

NOTE: I have the Power Grind in my 03 (2 Min Mod to follow)
           All I can say is,,,, WOW!!!   :thumbs:

You have 2 Cam Grinds
 Torque Grind  (ZG Cam)  Does not require Advance Sprocket   "Plot" (#1)  Torque increase starts at lower RPM. Available now from Steve
                     GREAT for the twisties or 2 up riding!!!!!!

Power Grind  (ZX Cam)  "Does" require Advance Sprocket  "Plot" (#2)   Torque increase starts a bit higher RPM than "TG"  has some peak HP increase over stock or PG Cams   
                       "Not in stock" Requires ZX Cams for grinding    "REALLY" GREAT for the twisties or 2 up riding!!!!!!

NOTE: To help share the fun with other COGgers,  Gary and I have 2 sets of ZX Cams we are willing to offer (fer what we paid ($75))  to any COGger
                                 that wants to do a Power Grind

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:37:24 AM by connie_rider »

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:31 AM »
Ted, I posted both dyno charts, the first is the torque grind, the second is the power grind. the torque grind does not require the advanced sprocket, the power grind does. It has to do with the way the grinder has to orient the power grind, it has so much lift that he has to set the exhaust cam slightly retarded in order to have enough meat to cut from. HTH, Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Ok, I went back and corrected my post.  (Hopefully I got it right)
Is there a way to post the 2 Grind Plots together (on one chart) for us Computer illiterates?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I talked to Gary. We discussed what we paid and decided that we have $75 in each set of our ZX Cams.
If anyone opts to do the power Grind, and if you can't find another set, let us know.

But, if you can find another set somewhere... Buy it!!
They are getting hard to find...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:18:09 AM by connie_rider »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »