Author Topic: Engine guard, Frame sliders, ...?  (Read 18337 times)

Offline george

• German
Engine guard, Frame sliders, ...?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
I'm sorry to bother you, I'm aware that this topic was discussed several times in the forum, but so far I didn't find an answer to my question:

On the Kawasaki webpage they mention in the description of the Concours (2011 model) that there are optional accessories engine guards.  (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=573&scid=25)
I've been searching for them, but not successfully!
Also I read about several other sellers, but either the product is extreme expensive (and from across the pond) or it is only for Concours till 2010.
Isn't there any product on the market that can easily be bought from the states, that fits without drilling or cutting, and has a reasonable price?

I really don't intend to drop my bike, but s#it happens !

Thanks

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Engine guard, Frame sliders, ...?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum George!  :)

Keep in mind the world is a much smaller pond these days. If you want store brand mak-n-cheese there are multiple options out there for sale but if you want the best get Kraft...

If you plan on keeping your Connie for awhile and don't want to make it look ugly then get the best, Top Block... pic below is of a 2nd gen C14 like yours, nuff said.

Happy hunting and enjoy the forum bro.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
Indeed, Kwak US mentioning that the 12 has engine guards is an improvement on the older models.  So let me see, the bike came out in '07 and now in 12 they just mention them as an aside.  Heaven forbid that they be available to purchase at this early juncture in the US of A.  I do understand and have it on the best authority from inside Kwakers, though, that you should be able to purchase them for the US 2020 models in early 2022. ::)   

Seriously, take Jay's advice and get them from Top Block if you want something more integrated into the looks.  I think that they are the ones that make them anyway for Kwak or if not, they should.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:33 AM »
How much were they?
Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:45 AM »
Using the search function and the search words 'Top Block' I came up with this lengthy gem from the Z man himself...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=314.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »
Isn't there any product on the market that can easily be bought from the states, that fits without drilling or cutting, and has a reasonable price?

I really don't intend to drop my bike, but s#it happens !

Thanks

Welcome to the forum George. They don't look as snazzy as the TopBlock (i might actually break down and buy some this year), but I rock the GSG Frame Sliders, which you can order from Twisted Throttle in the states (GSG is a German company).  Think I paid $280 for the set (if you don't count the new engine bolt screw I stripped and had to reorder from GSG direct in Germany :-).  Anyway, no drilling or cutting...pull out the OEM front engine mount bolt, slide in the new GSG bolt, and plug your slider rods on either end.  They have (to me anyway) an unobtrusive look.  Only complaints I have heard about these so far is banging your shins on them when dropping your feet off the pegs.  Mine hit them occasionally, but no issue as my shins are protected with T-3 Armor and 14" boots under that.
Will

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »
Using the search function and the search words 'Top Block' I came up with this lengthy gem from the Z man himself...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=314.0

Ugh nub mistake. Searched everywhere but here...$650 ouch.
Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »
Yep, they is pricey but then again so are the plastics.  It's all what you want, of course.  I think the protectors from Top Block integrate the best with the style of the bike.  Can't say how well they work.  I, on the other hand, use the GSG frame sliders with the MC Enterprise short rears to protect the cases.  They're black and blend somewhat into the bike's lines.  Can't say how well they work either.  Haven't had an incident with them.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum George. They don't look as snazzy as the TopBlock (i might actually break down and buy some this year), but I rock the GSG Frame Sliders, which you can order from Twisted Throttle in the states (GSG is a German company).  Think I paid $280 for the set (if you don't count the new engine bolt screw I stripped and had to reorder from GSG direct in Germany :-).  Anyway, no drilling or cutting...pull out the OEM front engine mount bolt, slide in the new GSG bolt, and plug your slider rods on either end.  They have (to me anyway) an unobtrusive look.  Only complaints I have heard about these so far is banging your shins on them when dropping your feet off the pegs.  Mine hit them occasionally, but no issue as my shins are protected with T-3 Armor and 14" boots under that.

I have those too, and I'm used to them so I don't bang my shins on them anymore.  FYI 2010 and newer bikes do require some cutting in to the rubber heat guards on both sides, but it's really no big deal at all.

Offline roadie

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »
I have those too, and I'm used to them so I don't bang my shins on them anymore.  FYI 2010 and newer bikes do require some cutting in to the rubber heat guards on both sides, but it's really no big deal at all.
ah, ok...BTW, on the 2009, they even fit if you have Air Baker Lowers installed :-)...Bakers will be toast in a drop, but acceptable loss to me.
Will

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
Can't say how well they work either.  Haven't had an incident with them.

That seems to often be the case Sparky, once you get em you just seem not to go down...  :-\

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
I have the GSG Frame Sliders as well and am quite happy with them. I sometimes use them as pegs on long trips. No, they aren't in the ideal place for that but occasionally it does feel good to put my feet on them.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
Anyone set a bike down on the GSG slider to see if it actually protects anything? Pic? Wondering if it's the same as the TopBlock?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline roadie

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Anyone set a bike down on the GSG slider to see if it actually protects anything? Pic? Wondering if it's the same as the TopBlock?

i haven't.  be interesting to see.  and damn would i be pissed if it didn't deliver even do "some" protection.  TopBlock looks like it might actually do a better.  Guess you get what you pay for.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Yep, the surest way to never drop your bike is to install some protection.

I have the GSGs too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

You really wouldn't have to lay the bike down to get a good idea of how well they'll work. Get you a 4x8 sheet of plywood and lay the long edge up against the tires and bring the ply up till it touches something on the bike. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
You really wouldn't have to lay the bike down to get a good idea of how well they'll work. Get you a 4x8 sheet of plywood and lay the long edge up against the tires and bring the ply up till it touches something on the bike.

:goodpost: :hail:

Offline roadie

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »

:goodpost: :hail:

I'd almost wonder if there is a bit of rocking, as if the frame slider peg acts as a pivot point during a tip over.  I guess the engine is what is most protected.  I'm going to write GSG and see if they would release some reports on their products.  Hell, guess I could just call them.  Sure they probably have some photos of how their gear held up in tip overs or crashes.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »
I'd almost wonder if there is a bit of rocking, as if the frame slider peg acts as a pivot point during a tip over.  I guess the engine is what is most protected.  I'm going to write GSG and see if they would release some reports on their products.  Hell, guess I could just call them.  Sure they probably have some photos of how their gear held up in tip overs or crashes.

Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Offline roadie

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Javoll!  Ich mein gut genug Bier zuverstellen, und mit GSG ueber Framesliders zusprechen :-)
Will