Author Topic: Sheep skins  (Read 4210 times)

Offline blade

Sheep skins
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
I just stopped at a Sam's club in Marion IL and the had 42"X25" sheep skins for 29.99. I don't know if all Sams are carrying them but it might be worth checking out. These were marked down from 49.99, still a good price if you are on the fence about putting one on your seat.

I bought a sheep skin from the seconds bin at Olde Hyde House years ago, before I went with a Russel seat. It made a difference then and still makes a long ride more comfortable.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Sheep skins
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
I will stick with Alaska Leather. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
FWIW, IKEA has also been known to have crates full of $19.99 and $29.99 genuine sheepskins.

Bought a $19.99 one and was able to cut two seat pads out of it.

Its a cheap frugal way to go.  I would have a very hard time paying $100+ for a sheepskin from a 'Motorcycle Specific' sheepskin vendor.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »
FWIW, IKEA has also been known to have crates full of $19.99 and $29.99 genuine sheepskins.

Its a cheap frugal way to go.  I would have a very hard time paying $100+ for a sheepskin from a 'Motorcycle Specific' sheepskin vendor.

I've even bought sheep skins from the likes of Sportsmansguide and used them to cover the Sidecar seat in the Ural as well as one for my big leather office chair to save it from wear & tear. The skin side does not slide when faced up to leather.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

Like who? Alaska Leather sure as hell aint $100 plus dollars, and have owned 2 of them and they are worth every cent. You guys are starting to sound like cheap KLR and Vstrom owners!!!! :yikes:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
I take offense to the KLR crack, your'e just jealous the 14 doesn't have a .22 cent mod or a catchy "Doo" upgrade ;) 

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:35:11 AM »
Sheepskins work very well they do move a bit on the vinyl thow. Custom made ones are exspensive but work very well and IMO are worth the money .
Tip sheepskins should be vacuumed  every now and then to get the dust out. To clean them wash them in some mild soapy water ,then rinse it with some water with a bit of vingar as the dies used to color wool prefer to be left with an acid finish .

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
I thought they used black sheep.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »
I thought they used black sheep.
Depends on the skin/company.  Mine from Alaska Leather is "natural", which in my case turned out to be a dark brown.  Doesn't match the bike, but what do I care?  It's under my butt.

Although anyone who's seen my bike can attest the entire bike is about fun and functionality, and not appearance.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
I understand in some parts of the world sheepskins are very popular. The problem is the sheep is still using it.
KLR and VStrom owners are cheap? You ain't cheap until you ride Guzzis!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
Like who? Alaska Leather sure as hell aint $100 plus dollars, and have owned 2 of them and they are worth every cent. You guys are starting to sound like cheap KLR and Vstrom owners!!!! 

Thank you for the compliment !

I am cheap frugal, and thought that was a requirement for COGdom.

Didn't mean to poke at 'ya.  I looked at their site, and saw it would easily cost $100 to get two seat pads, or a tandem from AL.  If we're all happy with what we have, then its all good.   :)
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
Question:  When you are shopping for a skin do you get a long shaggy haired one or a short curly haired dense one? 

I can see the merits of both so I stand there in Ikea not being able to make up my mind.  End up coming home without one thinking the expertise on this site will ultimately guide me.

Thanks for any replies.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
a long shaggy haired one or a short curly haired dense one? 
Wow, how quickly I could get this thread sent to the Arena.   ;D

I've got a "short curly haired" one.  I like it, it works, and looks pretty good.  I've heard that the longer haired ones are better for cooler weather.

It probably comes down to personal preference.  Some like long and shaggy, some like short and trimmed, some like shaved.

:rotflmao: Sorry, couldn't resist.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »
I've used regular old sheep skins for 20 years.  Take a lot of ribbing over them by people who don't ride (old man's bike etc.  :) ).  It took that long for me to finally figure out that I needed to sew two pieces of elastic to it so I could slip it under the seat and it stays in place perfectly.  Just remember to shave the area you are sewing at.  I buggered up momma's sewing machine in my first attempt.
T.S.R.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
I've used regular old sheep skins for 20 years.  Take a lot of ribbing over them by people who don't ride (old man's bike etc.  :) ).  It took that long for me to finally figure out that I needed to sew two pieces of elastic to it so I could slip it under the seat and it stays in place perfectly.  Just remember to shave the area you are sewing at.  I buggered up momma's sewing machine in my first attempt.

Would that be known as a Brazilian?  :stirpot:

I prefer the Alaska Leather short cut...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Would that be known as a Brazilian?  :stirpot:

:rotflmao:   :P

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
It's really gonna confuse the Ikea girl when I ask her for a Brazilian shaved lambskin for my pillion.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline blade

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »

Good idea. I tried the stick on velcro when I first started using my sheep skin, but found that the glue did not stand up to the elements and just made a sticky mess on the seat.

Now I just tuck the neck between the seat and tank, followed by the back legs wrapped under the rear of the seat. The latch then holds everything in place while I a riding.

I bought the Ikea skin for my GF's bike, but always thought they might be a little small for full coverage on Connie