Author Topic: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.  (Read 25586 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 04:54:18 AM »
No excuse.  You could ride after work at night.  You could easily have put 1k on it in a week or find a job where the commute is longer and more twistier.  ;)   Again, glad you are ok.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline W14

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad to hear you escaped unharmed.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »
Dang, that really stinks!

As others have said, I'm glad that you're ok.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline W14

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
Were you wearing any protective gear?

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »
Shoei Multitec, Tourmaster Sonora Jacket, SIDI boots, Jeans and underarmor pants, Tourmaster gloves...
Jeff

Offline Poddy

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:16 AM »
Sorry to hear about this, what a bummer.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »
Glad it wasn't worse. Last year I got rear-ended in my car with enough force to push the trunk into the back seat and the front end under the truck in front of me. I often thing about how many pieces I'd be in if I had been on my Connie.

As an insurance guy, I would suggest that you go first party for your damages, assuming you have collision coverage. Your insurance company should respond faster and more willingly than going thrid party directly to the other vehicle's carrier.

You could have a Kawi dealer look at it first, but that probably won't do much good. An appraisor will use his software to arrive at an estimate, and then the shop, wherever you take it, will confer with the appraisor if it looks like any supplements will be needed.

Not for nothing, but contusions and strains/sprains are worth money, dude.  There's a process, and of course, I'm not suggesting you manufacture a disability, but if in fact you are hurting, you deserve compensation for pain and suffering, assuming you actually treat for your injuries.

I am dead sure whoever said the guy was texting is correct, and it pisses me off when I see people doing that. Let them pay for their stupidity.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
This pic was taken 5 min before the accident..

Jeff

Offline W14

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
Glad to hear you were wearing protective gear - and this is an opportunity to emphasis that fact. Even though your accident appears to have been minor, you likely would have suffered more injuries had it not been for the helmet, jacket, shoes, etc. It irks me to death when I see bikers in tennis shoes and shorts - even worse when the driver has protective gear and his passenger is bearly clothed.

As someone suggested in a earlier post, I suggest you see a doctor and consult an attorney. You really don't know the extent of your injuries, afterall you were hit by a 4K lbs vehicle.  Regarding the attorney, I have had too many near misses by inattentive drivers and I think they should pay if they hit someone.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
Glad that you are ok! Do get checked out by a doctor soon, just so that you have things documented.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »
going to my chiropractor this morning. Not a fan of lawyers...
Jeff

Son of Pappy

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
going to my chiropractor this morning. Not a fan of lawyers...
How are you feeling today?

The problem with lawyers is to be effective you must get rid of all of them so you are kinda stuck with what it is.  I think Sea Level had some great advice.  Hoping that all is well,

Chet

Offline jqram35

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
Back sore but that is nothing new. Knees bruised slightly. Not too bad.
Jeff

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
Back sore but that is nothing new. Knees bruised slightly. Not too bad.

Just for fun, document your brusies. Take photos with a copy of today's newspaper showing the date, next to your knees. Much better would be to go to the hospital, where you will get an actual exam and diagnosis.

The hospital or your PCP will likely provide some medications for pain and refer you to a physical therapist or chiropractor.

Here is your chance, if nothing else, to get treatment for your sore back at the cost of the negligent party. If you are so inclined, you could treat for three or four months, and with little more effort than hiring an attorney and giving him a third of any settlement, you could easily wind up with anywhere from five to ten thousand dollars in your pocket. And possible an improved back. You could even pursue a bodily injury claim by yourself, no lawyer needed, and perhaps do better.

I'm not advocating advancing a fraudulent claim, but bruises are contusions and can't be faked.

I work as a fraud investigator in an insurance company's Special Investigative Unit. I handle cases where people are getting settlements for accidents in which there are NO physical damages and NO visible or objective injuries. Why? Because there is virtually no way to prove that someone did not sustain a soft tissue injury in a motor vehicle collision.

I understand your reluctance to make a big deal out of this incident, and your aversion to lawyers, but the system is in place to compensate you for an event that was none of your making and to penalize the party whose negligence caused you harm. Use it!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
Or you could just cowboy up, like you seem to be doing.  We don't all have to contribute to the slide of decency and integrity.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
I'm not advocating advancing a fraudulent claim, but bruises are contusions and can't be faked.

Or you could just cowboy up, like you seem to be doing.  We don't all have to contribute to the slide of decency and integrity.

Maybe I'm being all too touchy feely but I don't think that last was called for.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
It's just a difference in prespective, I suppose. Frivolous injury claims DO contribute to the litigious mess we see today. If the OP doesn't believe he's been inconvenienced in any way, then he is right to get his bike fixed and move on.

I wasn't offended by It1's statement. Best of luck to the OP, whatever he decides!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
Driver was distracted no doubt......bad brakes my ass!!!!! ::) Glad you are OK, and that guy would've for sure had a beating coming from me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
Glad you're OK! I cringe thinking about that same situation and being on a bike!

I was hit last year by a woman that they believe was messing with her phone. It was my everyday route home, but thankfully that day I was in my truck! She hit me so hard that it forced me into the car in front of me, then after bouncing off of me, she hit the gas again instead of the brakes and slamed me again!! The second hit forced me into the car in front of me again! They estimate she was doing somewhere around 45mph since there is no eveidence that she even hit her brakes and the amount of damage. 

There's no way I would have make it through that if I was on my bike!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Terrible that this happened to you!  >:(

I was in the EXACT scenario a few years back on my new Silver C14 ABS. A guy tried to run the red light I was sitting at and tried to swerve around me to get through. All I knew was that one moment I was sitting at the light watching traffic and the next moment I was sliding down the road ahead of my bike watching it tumble in the road and parts going everywhere.

My left wrist was broken (I assume from having the clutch pulled in) and my hands were scuffed (gloves were in the tankbag) and my shoes were knocked off I guess from hitting the pavement. The bike was eventually totalled. Thankfully another motorist got the vehicle description for me. It was a hit and run...they never found the guy.  >:(

I'm very glad that your's didn't end up like mine. Get that thing fixed up and enjoy every minute of it!  8)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/