Author Topic: Worse thing about owning a Concours  (Read 8893 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Worse thing about owning a Concours
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
So after a year and 28k miles of ownership I finally figured out why it is bad to own a Concours...................

You get so depressed when you have to ride anything else!!  Mine went in for warranty because the windshield motor went out and the dealer gave me a loaner bike.  It is a BMW R1200RT and I would say it is like going from a Corvette to a 1970 Volkswagan bug as far as performance goes.  Never rode a Beamer with the boxer engine before and I defenitly was expecting a little more...  Oh well I guess if after 28k miles of hard riding the only problem is the windshield motor I should not be complaining :)  Oh can't wait for next week... Get the Concours back and the Full Muzzy exhaust should arrive as well as the zx14 throttle bodies...  Oh I'm in for some serious fun!!!   :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Worse thing about owning a Concours
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
Tru dat Phoenix! At least they gave you a loaner to ride, that's pretty cool and uncommon these days for shops, you should have had them let you take a new ZX14R for a couple days!  8) 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
You took your 14 to a BMW dealer :o :o  Those RTs are a bit like riding a tractor, eh?  Shifts about as smooth as well.
Who's the dealer, sounds like they deserve some props.  If it was a BMW dealer check the drive assembly, if it has any German words on it take it back ;D

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
You took your 14 to a BMW dealer :o :o  Those RTs are a bit like riding a tractor, eh?  Shifts about as smooth as well.
Who's the dealer, sounds like they deserve some props.  If it was a BMW dealer check the drive assembly, if it has any German words on it take it back ;D

GOAZ motorcycles in Scottsdale...  I have had very good service from them and to top it off they even give loaners.  Yes it a bit like riding a tractor now that you mention it... lol

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »
A loaner bike? That's amazing! This is the first time I've heard of a dealer doing this.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lolife

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »
Quit complaining about the Tractor.   ;D ;D

I had my Concours in for tire pressure sensors & didn't have a ride for 2 weeks while they fixed those & then lost it again just 2 days shy of 2 weeks when the KiPass failed.   :-[

The hardest part of owning mine is when its January temps are in the mid 60s, sun is shining & every a$$hole you know with a bike is out riding.   ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
Worse thing for me is my neck.  I haven't ridden her lately due to a pinched nerve.  It kills me not to ride.  I love this bike.  My wife isn't as jealous these days as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »
Just had my Concours in for the 7,500 mile service AND front brake rotors because they were warped.  I have recently purchased a 2012 ZX-14R and a brand new 2009 ZX-6R.  I tell you what if I didn't have the other two Kawasaki's I would had missed the C14 terribly.  I did miss it, but had other nice bikes to ride.  I dropped off the 600 for it's 600 mile service and picked up the C14.  When off it for a week or so you really appreciate it that much more once you get back on it.

BTW I also have a 2010 BMW R1200GS, it's a great bike.  However, I don't like a sport touring bike (such as the RT) with a boxer twin - any twin for that matter in a ST bike.  It just isn't pleasant when compared to a powerful and smooth running C14.  At one time I was considering an RT, so very glad I didn't.  Great bikes, but a sport tourer needs to be (IMA) smoooooth and powerful - like a C14, FJR, or ST!
2010 Concours 14 
2012 BMW S1000RR             
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
2008 Honda CBR1000RR   2011 KTM 300XC

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:13:04 AM »
Snow!!!
Snow is the worse thing about owning a C-14. Just make winters go away already.
Hi! My name is Joel. It has been 12 days since my last ride. I can't go any longer without it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »
Oil changes! Did you know that you have to change the oil in these things; air and oil filters, too! Heck I even had to put in new front brake pads at 13k miles. Oh, and don't ask me about gasoline, got to fill that every week, sometimes more.
For you snowbound guys...nice weather here in Jersey this weekend. Now, I'm going to have to ride it today and tomorrow.

Today

Partly Sunny
Partly
Sunny
Hi 52 °F
Tonight

Mostly Clear
Mostly
Clear
Lo 29 °F
Sunday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly
Sunny
Hi 48 °F
[/t]
[/t] 
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Shoe

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
A loaner bike? That's amazing! This is the first time I've heard of a dealer doing this.

That's pretty common with BMW dealers. That's what you expect when you own a BMW. I can't figure the C14 with a loaner. Maybe a dual brand dealership.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
That's pretty common with BMW dealers. That's what you expect when you own a BMW.

One MIGHT read your comment as:

"Yep, bike failure is so common with BWM, and prices are so high, that one would expect BMW dealers to give loaners or they would retain no repeat customers."

;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
Two things, first a buddy has a BMW 1300GT and when it's in the shop he gets a loaner
Second,
lolife wrote I had my Concours in for tire pressure sensors & didn't have a ride for 2 weeks while they fixed those & then lost it again just 2 days shy of 2 weeks when the KiPass failed.
When I had the sensor replaced the dealer ordered it and when it came in he called me and I took the bike there and they installed it and I was on my way in about an hour. No need to leave the bike at the dealer for that.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lolife

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
Just had my Concours in for the 7,500 mile service AND front brake rotors because they were warped.  I have recently purchased a 2012 ZX-14R and a brand new 2009 ZX-6R.  I tell you what if I didn't have the other two Kawasaki's I would had missed the C14 terribly.  I did miss it, but had other nice bikes to ride.  I dropped off the 600 for it's 600 mile service and picked up the C14.  When off it for a week or so you really appreciate it that much more once you get back on it.

BTW I also have a 2010 BMW R1200GS, it's a great bike.  However, I don't like a sport touring bike (such as the RT) with a boxer twin - any twin for that matter in a ST bike.  It just isn't pleasant when compared to a powerful and smooth running C14.  At one time I was considering an RT, so very glad I didn't.  Great bikes, but a sport tourer needs to be (IMA) smoooooth and powerful - like a C14, FJR, or ST!

Am I the only one who really didn't want to read this post?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
No
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
Snow!!!
Snow is the worse thing about owning a C-14. Just make winters go away already.
Hi! My name is Joel. It has been 12 days since my last ride. I can't go any longer without it.

Agreed.

Hard our snowstorm here a week ago and if it wasn't for me being out of town on business for most of it I don't know what I would have dont going over a full week without it!

Offline Gymbo

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »

Maybe loaner bikes are a BMW thing these days.  A friend stopped by my office Thursday riding a K1600GT loaner while his K1200RS is in the shop.  He's had it for a two weeks now while they troubleshoot his K12.  His K12 has been in the shop for a total of three weeks now and for the first week they loaned him a Ducati Diavel.  I think they are trying to sell him a new bike.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
I was having a tire installed on my bike and they offered a bike from their used lot to scoot around on until mine was done.  It is a Honda/Kawasaki/Can-am dealership.  I don't know if they would allow me to use it longer than an hour or so though.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline danl

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »
I gotta agree that snow is the worst thing. Anything else I'll ride thru, but something about 2 wheels and ice has me park it.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
So after a year and 28k miles of ownership I finally figured out why it is bad to own a Concours...................

You get so depressed when you have to ride anything else!!  Mine went in for warranty because the windshield motor went out and the dealer gave me a loaner bike.  It is a BMW R1200RT and I would say it is like going from a Corvette to a 1970 Volkswagan bug as far as performance goes.  Never rode a Beamer with the boxer engine before and I defenitly was expecting a little more...  Oh well I guess if after 28k miles of hard riding the only problem is the windshield motor I should not be complaining :)  Oh can't wait for next week... Get the Concours back and the Full Muzzy exhaust should arrive as well as the zx14 throttle bodies...  Oh I'm in for some serious fun!!!   :)

I actually came from a 1200RT (and I'm also a sportbike rider as well.)  I equate riding an RT with riding a lawn tractor - feel and sound is about the same.  That said, I do miss the light weight and good slow speed handling of the RT.  And the cruise control.  But, that's about it.  C14 excels in every other area.