Author Topic: Strange, very quiet motor noise upon shutdown  (Read 11482 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Strange, very quiet motor noise upon shutdown
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
As Lather said, I also believe that what you are hearing is the secondary butterflies going through a 'move to the place where they should be for the next start' sequence.
<Snip>
 I do find it odd that the stepper motor on the secondaries would cycle more than one time though. ???

Brian
Maybe a bit of dirt preventing proper rotation or a subtrottle sensor glitch. A sensor glitch could be related to a weak battery or bad battery connection
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
Otherwise I cannot think of anything that could be making any type of mechanical noise after shutdown and with the key in the OFF position. I do find it odd that the stepper motor on the secondaries would cycle more than one time though. ???

Brian

No doubt, I suspect something was wrong, and it drained my battery, which in turn reset the system. When I pulled the battery I did not find corroded terminals, maybe some slight discoloration which I scraped off, but nothing that would cause it not to start.

So far, two days and no issues. Except for my missing side panel. ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »
The one thing that WILL run after the key is turned off is the windshield motor.  Could it be wigging out and running intermittantly?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
I have a 2009, they do not run after the key is off.
Plus I would have recognized that noise.
Not a bad idea on the 2010 and newer though.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
The radiator fans on this bike shut off when the key is turned off so they won't make any noise if the key is not in the ON position.

Well, that's good to know.  I hated how they would run on my other bikes.  Made no sense!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
Thanks maxtog
 I dont think anybody pays attention and they do alot of guessing.  As you said, if the fan is running when you turn it off it stays running for a bit.   thanks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
Thanks maxtog
 I dont think anybody pays attention and they do alot of guessing.  As you said, if the fan is running when you turn it off it stays running for a bit.   thanks.

I can't speak for your bike RT but on my '08, if the cooling fans are running when I shut the key off, the power is cut off to the fans. They spin down but that's it, no power at all.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Flathead

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
I can't speak for your bike RT but on my '08, if the cooling fans are running when I shut the key off, the power is cut off to the fans. They spin down but that's it, no power at all.

+1

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »

+2!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
I have a 2009, they do not run after the key is off.
Plus I would have recognized that noise.
Not a bad idea on the 2010 and newer though.

Yeah -- thank goodness the same on my '08.  Hate the auto-down on the w/s
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline PH14

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
Yeah -- thank goodness the same on my '08.  Hate the auto-down on the w/s

Yeah, I don't want auto-down. It limits your ability to use various hand wings in combination with certain windshields.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
Yeah, I don't want auto-down. It limits your ability to use various hand wings in combination with certain windshields.

Off thread topic, but in answer to a couple of posts.

Have you tried holding the windshield move button in the up position when you turn off the ignition? The windshield doesn't go down; just holds that position for when you start up the next time.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline PH14

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »
Off thread topic, but in answer to a couple of posts.

Have you tried holding the windshield move button in the up position when you turn off the ignition? The windshield doesn't go down; just holds that position for when you start up the next time.

Haven't tried it, I have a 2009. I still don't see the need to even have an auto down "feature." It seems easy to forget to hold the button down while turning off the ignition, possibly damaging a windshield or hand wings in the process. Why even have an auto down? Are there too many people with garage ceilings that automatically lower once it senses an engine shuts off necessitating this?  :o I just don't get the reasoning for it.