Author Topic: radiator guard? really?  (Read 22545 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
radiator guard? really?
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
well, can't help but ask: is it really necessary to fit a radiator guard? I drive 100% on-road and never in 20 years have had a radiator damage, except once on my Fiat Uno when a duck took off from the side of the road and decided to dive into the front grill in the last second.
I found this piece of kit and was reflecting about getting it or not. Yeah, I know, a radiator costs way more but, what are the chances of anything ever happening?
Please note that I am not judging those who do buy it. It's just that I never felt the need for it and I'm getting cold feet. Thanks!
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

Re: radiator guard? really?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
Then don't buy one, Martin.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
I have seen it happen 3 times, all on group rides, one was a track day.  A radiator puncture has not happened to me but I do get occasionally hit by rocks when following another rider.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
I added one because I didn't like the color and looks of the radiator, the guard that covers it is black and looks much better IMO!  8)

The added protection is just a plus...  :)

Offline Arata

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Ride behind anyone with even slightly sticky tires and you will change your mind.

Sport tires sling a LOT of gravel.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
The price of a guard is a lot cheaper than a new radiator. With it right out in the open it's in a good place to get hit.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
I put them on all my bikes... it's cheap insurance. I noticed some very large divots in the connie one when I put the R&G one on.. wish I had put it on when it was new(waited till ~5k miles) and haven't had any issues in the 25k since.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
I have a fendo extendo, and no rad guard.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
No, no need for a rad. guard Martin. There is a very slight risk of getting radiator damage from road debris of course, and a rad. guard reduces that risk somewhat but they are certainly not necessary.

I have one on my C-14 only because I have been involved in some timed rides and any delay for something like radiator damage would end the ride for me. The downside to having a guard is that I find my bike rises in operating temperature much more quickly and cools down a lot slower then it used to before the guard was installed.

Funny thing though is that if a motorcycle radiator is damaged and repaired, it leaves an unsightly scar usually right in the lower part of the middle of the radiator. That leads to an interesting result- you almost <have> to install a radiator guard then because the radiator looks so bad it needs to be hidden. So in a sort of backwards way, it is almost easier to install the guard first and avoid the repair altogether. None of that applies to those who replace a damaged radiator with a brand new one of course but I would go the repair route simply due to cost.

Brian

well, can't help but ask: is it really necessary to fit a radiator guard? I drive 100% on-road and never in 20 years have had a radiator damage, except once on my Fiat Uno when a duck took off from the side of the road and decided to dive into the front grill in the last second.
I found this piece of kit and was reflecting about getting it or not. Yeah, I know, a radiator costs way more but, what are the chances of anything ever happening?
Please note that I am not judging those who do buy it. It's just that I never felt the need for it and I'm getting cold feet. Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I added one because I didn't like the color and looks of the radiator, the guard that covers it is black and looks much better IMO!  8)

The added protection is just a plus...  :)

Damn ZG Those pipes ever seen any heat?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
Or road grime?

Those pipes actually look polished. Maybe when people call up and ask him what he is doing, and he responds 'just polishing my pipes', he really IS?

;D ;D

My headers look exactly like that but they are protected by a thick layer of road grime.  ::)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

Martin,

Getting a hole poked in the radiator is a bit of a longshot that is comparable to getting a nail in a tire.  You might be able to ride a zillion miles without experiencing either.  Then again you could have the opposite experience and find a hole in your radiator or a nail in a tire on successive days.  It's a case of "luck of the draw", if you're lucky, you won't ever see a hole or pick up a nail and if luck fails you, then you'll wish you had protected the radiator.  Insurance against a nail in a tire does not exist, so you just have to take your chances there.

I personally don't care for the radiator guards but prefer the long fender extender offered by Larry Teows in Canada, http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0.  I specify his fender extender because it offers greater protection than the very similar but shorter fender extenders offered by Murph and others.  My choice is a bit of a compromise though as the fender extender only protects against objects thrown by your own front tire but not by objects from other vehicles that pass the front tire and reach the sides of the radiator not protected by the tire.  Using both is the best insurance because the addition of the fender extender will prevent all the crap thrown up by the front tire when riding in wet or otherwise unsavory conditions from being able to reach the radiator.  Without the fender extender this stuff will penetrate the radiator guard and lodge in the radiator even though it is very unlikely to do any damage.  Just the same, it's still debris that one would rather not have lodged in the radiator's fins.  Another consideration is the fact the radiator will not be as efficient due to the added obstacle the airflow must penetrate.  This won't make any difference in cooler weather but I expect the bike will not run as cool when riding at a slower pace within city limits when the weather is hot.  This issue was addressed previously by Brian (B.D.F.).  This is the main reason I choose to employ only the protection offered by the fender extender as my journeys often take me through the arid and hot southwest.  If I do find myself with a punctured radiator then I'll simply use JB Weld to fix it.  I've never had occasion to use it on a street bike but have used it with 100% success on numerous motocross radiators.

As a final thought, without protection the radiator is definitely going to be hit by flying debris that may never poke a hole and cause a leak but it will bend the fins and in time become quite unsightly.  My own experience has show this to be the case as I purchased my C14 in Kansas and rode it home to Oregon with the radiator exposed to whatever came its way.  When I got home I spent a bit of time straightening the numerous bent fins, all of which were in the center behind the tire.  My first aftermarket add on was the fender extender and the radiator has experienced no further contact with anything more damaging than insects.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:00:49 PM by BudCallaghan »
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »

Or road grime?

Those pipes actually look polished. Maybe when people call up and ask him what he is doing, and he responds 'just polishing my pipes', he really IS?

;D ;D

My headers look exactly like that but they are protected by a thick layer of road grime.  ::)

Brian

;D ;D ;D

What? You guys don't pull over and ice your header every 30 minutes to avoid discoloring??  ??? :-\

Actually that pic was from the day I got my new Muzzys system installed, so yes it was still very clean looking.  8)

As for polishing the pipes, I always just let my wife take on that job, look at how she made this throttle body shine, it takes a little work and time but well worth it IMO, the trick is all in the full elbow and shoulder action...  :) 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »

Imagine that- ZG changing something on his bike to... black..... hmm
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »
Then don't buy one, Martin.

Sound advice my friend, but I did bite that bullet and got one........I now sleep so much better at night.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

;D ;D ;D

What? You guys don't pull over and ice your header every 30 minutes to avoid discoloring??  ??? :-\

Actually that pic was from the day I got my new Muzzys system installed, so yes it was still very clean looking.  8)

As for polishing the pipes, I always just let my wife take on that job, look at how she made this throttle body shine, it takes a little work and time but well worth it IMO, the trick is all in the full elbow and shoulder action...  :) 

Holy Crap !! :o
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
I have a fendo extendo, and no rad guard.

I have both at a total cost of $265 NZ.
My leason:-
Several years ago was setting out on a holiday with 5 other bikes (2weeks in the south island), one day into this trip one of the lads on a Hyabusa holed his radiator and lost all his water (a 14mm bolt straight through it)
The cost of hauling him his passenger and his bike out of there was far more than the cost of the rad protector and fender extender I fit as a matter of course on all bikes I have owned since.
Oh and his holiday didnt happen and it cost him $1200 for a new rad.
The peice of mind that $265 gives me is priceless.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
Holy Crap !! :o

Ya, pretty shiny huh, told ya!  :thumbs:

I was impressed as well, it used to be totally tarnished and dull, now I can see the reflection of my face in it...  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
Imagine that- ZG changing something on his bike to... black..... hmm

The black rad gaurd makes it go faster too Max!  ;) 8)