Author Topic: I'm on the fence for an accessory block  (Read 9662 times)

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
I'm on the fence for an accessory block
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
I am looking into adding the following farkles pretty soon:

Aux lights
Heated grips
Trunk (with additional lighting in the future)

My issue is figuring out which Accessory block to get. I am torn between:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=144

or

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=436

If you have installed one of these, I'd like to know where you placed the unit and a picture of the wiring to the battery if possible. I will also be the first one to say that I am electrically challenged. I haven't fully grasped the ins and outs of wiring etc so any tips and pointers you can offer would be appreciated.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jayke

Re: I'm on the fence for an accessory block
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Gee thanks........forgot about the other one (not the FZ-1).  Now I have a choice to make for my KLR too.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
I got the first one. I am at work and have no pics right now, but it is installed on the left side. I didn't see any pics on my photobucket account. I may have some at home but I don't think so. If I get a chance I will take some later.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
I have the first one as well.  This fits behind the side panel (btw, I recommend getting thumbscrews for your side panels if you don't have them already.  Murphs sells them or you may find some locally), and is close to the existing fuse block and battery.

Hooking it up is a piece of cake.  One wire hooks to the battery, the second wire is close by as well, and the 'switched' power source is designed to hook between the rear brake pedal wire connectors.  As the rear brake circuit goes live when the key is turned on, this makes it an ideal place to 'read' when the key is turned on.  Again, easy peasy to install.

Running your power from this box to your accessories will follow similar routes to existing wiring from the existing fuse box.  And, as this is located next to the existing fuse box, it keeps all of your fuses in one place on the bike.

I currently have both my grip heaters and my auxiliary lights (now broken off) wired from this fuse block.  I personally used SJOO wiring for these (I have a spool of it for other purposes), as the black sheath hides itself well, and blends with the existing wire harnesses, brake lines, etc. 

My switches for both the aux lights and grip heaters are strapped to the inside of the handlebar 'posts', and nicely shrink wrapped/zip tied, although others often choose an upper fairing location (opposite of the clock or wherever).
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Like others here I made my own. Admittedly, I may have "borrowed" the design after seeing others posts. Also, I enjoy the electrical stuff and am quite at home with it. Any of Murphs products won't steer you wrong.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
I wasted a lot of money on a $30 Blue Sea unit from the boat store, when I could have done the same thing with a $10 unit from Napa, which is 1/3 the size.  (Which is what I put on the Wee-Strom.)  Whichever one you use, the right side of the battery box is an excellent location and easy to mount to.

pic attached
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
Iff'n you're gonna put the real cruise control(Audiovox from Murphs") on the bike, find another spot for the board, I mounted mine to the fender behind the battery. Also, there is a wire coming out of the Jbox that goes live with the headlight, this way your board will not be powered until the bike is running, normally. It could also prevent low voltage issues while cranking that can burn relay contacts or cook electronics, maybe. Try to use a main relay larger than 30 amps, mine is rated at 40, got it at one of those sleazy auto parts stores.

Take your time, and ask questions and/or offer free beer and/or lunch for help. You just may find a taker. Or... host a tech session.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:54 AM »
I have the 2nd one behind my left side panel. Fit nice and made accessory wiring simple.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
Should I be able to find the components that I need to build my own fuse block at one of the major auto parts places? (Seems as though I looked before but didn't see what I thought I needed)  I'm not opposed to just buying one from Murph but I generally get more satisfaction out of making something myself.....although the end result may not look as pretty.  I don't mind saving a buck or two either and I enjoy doing the work.  Anybody got an idea of the cost comparison between making one and paying $60-$80 for one from Murph?  I would probably have to buy most of the wire and connectors for the project also since I only have minimal amounts of stuff left over from previous work.  Any opinions?  Sorry for the slight hi-jack.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
Like others here I made my own. Admittedly, I may have "borrowed" the design after seeing others posts. Also, I enjoy the electrical stuff and am quite at home with it. Any of Murphs products won't steer you wrong.

Dang that looks good, bbroj.  I might have to hire you for a weekend project....... ;) 

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »
Should I be able to find the components that I need to build my own fuse block at one of the major auto parts places? (Seems as though I looked before but didn't see what I thought I needed)  I'm not opposed to just buying one from Murph but I generally get more satisfaction out of making something myself.....although the end result may not look as pretty.  I don't mind saving a buck or two either and I enjoy doing the work.  Anybody got an idea of the cost comparison between making one and paying $60-$80 for one from Murph?  I would probably have to buy most of the wire and connectors for the project also since I only have minimal amounts of stuff left over from previous work.  Any opinions?  Sorry for the slight hi-jack.

Absolutely no reason not to roll your own.... While I love Murph like a brother who I owe money to; he will be the first to tell you that he does not have an exclusive on everything Concours; does he not "GIVE" you the wheel bearing numbers on his site so that you can go find your own at the local Motion Industries? But he will sell you a high quality kit at a reasonable price that includes everything you will need except for the beer. Given that mouthful I think I bought my fuse panel at www.electricalconnection.com to which I used a 12 VDC Auto-Reset Circuit Breaker in place of a main fuse along with a heavy duty relay found in the junk drawer.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
Looks like any of the 2 fuse blocks (or something similar) may be the way to go. I may have to end up hosting a tech day to learn how to do all this as I intend on doing the same thing on my v-strom. Thank you all for your responses!
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 08:19:04 AM »
Dang that looks good, bbroj.  I might have to hire you for a weekend project....... ;) 

Cheers
Ron
Thanks! After this weekend I should know if we will soon be neighbors, if so I'll be looking to meet local COGgers and what better way than tinkering on the bike! I don't remember the cost of the individual pieces, but it wasn't bad, maybe 25 or 30 bucks? The mounting plate is just a piece of clear plastic (lexax, whatever) I had laying around the garage. I bought the fuse block, wire and relay from the local auto parts store (Advance), but the ground strip and straps (sold seperately, of course) came from Radio Shack. The connectors I already had as I do electrical stuff pretty routinely.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Tele130

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
I need this upgrade.  Thanks for the post. :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
Timely thread for me. I was just going to pull the trigger on one from Murph. I have the one I had made for my older Connie. I think I will just redo it a little more fancy. How heavier of wire should I use to feed the block from the relay and to feed the relay from the bat. Thanks.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
The red wires in the pics in my post above are 8ga. For those sharp enough to pick up on it, yes, those are yellowcrimp connectors rated for 10-12ga. I got the wires in the connectors without cutting any conductors and they crimped solidly. I used yellow 'cause it's what I had on hand.
COG 9331

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
I just have a 6 circuit napa fuse block on the left side, with a 40A giant masterfuse inline with 8ga wire.  I also used the 10/12 ends.  Some stuff I wanted hot all the time and some stuff to come on with ignition so I just relayed as appropriate.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
I just have a 6 circuit napa fuse block on the left side, with a 40A giant masterfuse inline with 8ga wire.  I also used the 10/12 ends.  Some stuff I wanted hot all the time and some stuff to come on with ignition so I just relayed as appropriate.
My block is 6 circuit from Napa. How do you make some switched and some hot all the time? I had mine wired so it received power via a relay. I would like to have one hot for a lighter socket. Could just go an inline fuse of the bat or another hot I guess.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
After rereading I am thinking you have the block hot all the time via the large fuse and you relay components that come off it as needed?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
My fuse block is hot only with the ignition via relay. The stuff I want hot all the time is limited, so I just used the bikes 2 sets of accessory leads for those items.
COG 9331