Author Topic: Would you leave the engine oil and dif fluid for 9000 miles on your connie?  (Read 12964 times)

Offline gildaguz

WOW how different  " smooth " is the shifting with fresh oil  ;D
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline katata1100

I'm sure that you're right but I was talking about my '12 Jetta TDI Sportwagen.

You didn't say that, but I guess that's part of the point. I have read literature from different sources claiming that newer vehicles can go longer before needing an oil change because they have better fuel metering/better design/better everything which makes them cleaner running.
Well,my old VW low tech diesel, made in '02, was spec'd by VW to 10k mile intervals, with cheap pseudo syn oil. If an 11 year old car can run 10k miles on cheap oil, it kind of makes your '12 (which requires $$$ 507 oil, I think that Mobil 1 ESP stuff at Pepboys is almost $10 a bottle :() look silly.
To make matters worse for me, I have a different ecm chip and large Bosio injectors, which can make thing s bit smokey when you floor it. Smoke= more particulates in the oil which is bad for oil life. To balance things out, I disconnected the egr which should help oil life (egr in these old TDI's will eventually clog up the intake).
Got almost 170k miles on the car, never have to add oil between oil changes.

Offline Conrad

You didn't say that, but I guess that's part of the point. I have read literature from different sources claiming that newer vehicles can go longer before needing an oil change because they have better fuel metering/better design/better everything which makes them cleaner running.
Well,my old VW low tech diesel, made in '02, was spec'd by VW to 10k mile intervals, with cheap pseudo syn oil. If an 11 year old car can run 10k miles on cheap oil, it kind of makes your '12 (which requires $$$ 507 oil, I think that Mobil 1 ESP stuff at Pepboys is almost $10 a bottle :() look silly.
To make matters worse for me, I have a different ecm chip and large Bosio injectors, which can make thing s bit smokey when you floor it. Smoke= more particulates in the oil which is bad for oil life. To balance things out, I disconnected the egr which should help oil life (egr in these old TDI's will eventually clog up the intake).
Got almost 170k miles on the car, never have to add oil between oil changes.

Sorry guys about the semi-thread-hijack...

As far as oil specs go, I think that the dif between your VW and mine is the DPF. During an active DPF regen the computer dumps post ignition fuel into the cylinders so that the DPF gets hot enough to burn off the soot that’s been collected.  I think that the higher spec’d oil has something to do with this system and the post ignition fuel, maybe the possibility of fuel getting past the rings?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
What's a TBSS?  :feedback:

I am guessing Trail Blazer SS..

Offline shreveportSS

I am guessing Trail Blazer SS..
Yes, with a 441cid LSX motor.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Yes, with a 441cid LSX motor.

Wow, a 7.2 LSX!  I bet it scoots.  Pics or it didn't happen.  And of course you could put a bottle of your oil of choice in there to keep the thread on topic.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
8,000 miles is the recommended oil change interval so 9,000 miles will be fine.
I would imagine that the final drive could handle the extra 1,000 miles (or 1,500 if ya wanna be REALLY anal about it) just fine.
The final drive on my C-10s only needs fresh oil every 18,000 miles.

I often go over the mileage for the "recommended" service interval.
Motor hasn't exploded yet, on any of my bikes,...
except for Sanji's and a sustained 11,000rpm on any motor is liable to do that. <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK