Author Topic: Would you leave the engine oil and dif fluid for 9000 miles on your connie?  (Read 12962 times)

Offline gildaguz

I know the answer of many but i do it , if the bike maker  recomends oil and filter changes on intervals of 7500 miles with regular petroleum based oil  why not to go a little bid more with a good syntetic oil, the oil come just a little brown, didn't burn a single drop of oil and the magnet on the drain plugs pick just a little of metal, i'm posting a couple of pictures of the drain plugs and the color of the oil, i did sumerge my finger with a glove to take the picture
I used Motul 300V Ester Synthetic Oil  K&N oil filter and syntetic fluid for the dif
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline katata1100

I have no doubt that a good, true synthetic oil will hold up well for that long.
However, the problem that you run up with going that long is that additives in the oil get used up. Whatever VI enhancers that add to it will be toast, so your real oil weight at operating temps could be lower than 40w. There are other things  that could be low and cause more wear than if you changed the oil.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
With kiPass i could go 100,000's of miles without changing oil. Oil threads rule!  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Being what the factory interval is on 40 wt dino, and you know that is shearing down to a 30 for sure. So running a synthetic isn't gonna make things worse, and just because the OEM states to run a 40 weight that doesnt mean a 30 weight is gonna cause any more wear. ;) I myself lean more towards a 50wt, but that is just me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Gsun

Why? It's cheap to change the oil.

Offline rcannon409

I can understand trying to save some money, time and effort by running the motor oil for extra miles.  The dif only holds a cup of oil and takes minutes to change. Even using the expensive Royal Purple lube woudl cost between 3-4 dollars. I'm not sure its worth it to push that to the limit.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899

Not when the OP paid for Motul ester oil.

Now, Rotella on the other hand..............
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Z71

You should change oil once a year regardless of mileage, even if you ride your bike less than say 1,000 miles.  The reason is that crankcase blow by gases react with oil and cause formation of acids in oil, which may damage the engine.

As for extending the oil change intervals on a frequently used bike by using synthetic oil, I guess that's OK as long as the intervals are reasonable.

Changing final drive gear oil is not that critical.  Just make sure there is enough oil in there.  However, the oil quantity is so small that draining and refilling  the final drive at every engine oil change is a good practice. One liter size bottle of Kawasaki hypoid 80W90 gear oil is good for about 4 oil changes.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"

So I take it you buy into the change it frequent category? The oil manufacturers love folks like you. ;) And there is no blow-back or impurities getting into the final drive lube, so I change it when Kawasaki recommends it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rcannon409

Pokey, thats a good point too.  I suppose its easier to change early and waste oil than it is to hear the shop say, "Damn, if you only changed it a hundred miles ago..."   Seriously, our work vehicles get oil changed when  somethign else goes wrong.  That can be six months and 20,000 miles. The closest thing we had to an oil related failure was when the guy put gasoline in the diesel. Otherwise, never  a problem.

Offline Z71

I change oil frequently in my vehicles and my work car has over 320k miles on the original engine and no sludge buildup whatsoever.  So maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Offline gildaguz

You should change oil once a year regardless of mileage, even if you ride your bike less than say 1,000 miles.  The reason is that crankcase blow by gases react with oil and cause formation of acids in oil, which may damage the engine.

As for extending the oil change intervals on a frequently used bike by using synthetic oil, I guess that's OK as long as the intervals are reasonable.

Changing final drive gear oil is not that critical.  Just make sure there is enough oil in there.  However, the oil quantity is so small that draining and refilling  the final drive at every engine oil change is a good practice. One liter size bottle of Kawasaki hypoid 80W90 gear oil is good for about 4 oil changes.
I agree with your statement, i did ride those 9000 miles in 10 months and about the blow by in those engines  apparently is minimum because as you state is that what pollute the oil ( unburned fuel and carbon residues), and in those 9K this oil just turn a little brown, (  as an example engines that run with natural gas does not turn the oil black ), so in to days engines that it's combustion is that clean is not necessary to change the oil as often as the old time engines, I did work as auto mechanic for the last 25 years and i did  many oil changes in that time and i saw a lot of those vehicles that have lack of maintenance, remember one that after removing the drain plug the oil won't come out, ( it was so thick that looks like grease)  and it come to the shop running normally, or many of those that the oil looks like black paint and smell terrible
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline jjsC6

A lot of people are WAY over anal about changing oil.  If you are using synthetic, and the bikes gets ridden regularly (to not allow too much condensation), and you ride it far enough to warm it up thoroughly when you do ride, then the truth of the matter is it would probably be fine for 20,000 miles.  BMW cars now can go a lot of miles (I think I have read as much as 15,000) between oil changes.  The computer uses quite a bit of information to tell when it needs changing.  I just googled, yes - 15,000 miles on many new BMW's.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline kawacop1642

I have always stuck with the manufacturers suggested intervals on all of my bikes. 15 different bikes in over 30 years of riding, and NEVER an oil related problem. Ridden in all different climates and weather conditions as well.

Offline Conrad

A lot of people are WAY over anal about changing oil.  If you are using synthetic, and the bikes gets ridden regularly (to not allow too much condensation), and you ride it far enough to warm it up thoroughly when you do ride, then the truth of the matter is it would probably be fine for 20,000 miles.  BMW cars now can go a lot of miles (I think I have read as much as 15,000) between oil changes.  The computer uses quite a bit of information to tell when it needs changing.  I just googled, yes - 15,000 miles on many new BMW's.

The oil change interval on the VW TDI engines are 10k miles and VW doesn't just recommend synthetic, they demand it. Not only synthetic but it has to meet the VW 507.00 spec. Anything less and you run the risk of voiding your warranty.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline booger

Interesting.  Most people advertise 3 months, regardless of the mileage.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Cheap?   I just paid $130.47 for an Motul oil/filter change.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

Did they at least kiss you afterwards?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

:popcorn:

Offline shreveportSS

I believe I pay $80 just for oil and filter. Same as it cost to put 9 quarts of Mobile 1 in my TBSS.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.