Author Topic: vulcan owner to concours questions  (Read 10488 times)

Offline scooter

vulcan owner to concours questions
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
helo everyone.im new to this site but have been enjoying it for some time so i decided to join,as a long time kawi owner i have been eyeballing the concours for some time.ive found a left over silver 2011 for 13.300 14.300 out the door,does this sound like a decent deal? i just sold my z 1000 and im thinking the concours might be the way to go although i realy like my vulcan. most of the issues ive read about the bike seem to be taken care of by the 2011 modle year am i correct? there was some mention of header bolts coming loose. is this still a problem? and if so how often do you have to check them,and is it a one time thing or do you have to keep checking them?thanks for any help guys and hope to be posting more soon

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: vulcan owner to concours questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:30 AM »
Exhaust to header nuts coming loose is a minor nit, so to speak.  You need to worry about the ergos and what kind of bike you're coming from as to what bike you are going to...  Checker cab to porche might be a good comparison.  The Vulcan is a cruiser and you want to go to a Super Sport Tourer.  Two totally different bikes.  The 2010 on addressed the heat issues.  Brakes are linked as well where they  weren't on the 08/09.  I've never been a cruiser type guy so I'm not as conversant in the differences.  You'll get your fill of comments on that.  I know I would never buy a cruiser bike, myself.  It's a life style change.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mike_M

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
Checker cab to porche might be a good comparison. 

That is a great comparison.  I have a Nomad and I use the bikes for two TOTALLY different types of riding.   I once thought the Nomad was going to be my all around bike but once I got the Concours to fit me exactly the way I like I now know I cannot live with out either of them.   I'm not sure if you were trying to decide to sell the Vulcan for the Connie or keep both.  If you have the means to keep both then you'll get the best of both the cruiser world and the sport touring world.  I know if I sold either one of mine I would regret it. 

Offline scooter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:04 AM »
i do understand the differance in the two bikes as i have owned many sport bike in the past.as far as the vulcan being a " checker cab" im not so sure on that comparsion. the vulcan is a fine bike, it does lack the thrill factor of a sport bike or sport cruiser for sure. im thinking the concours would fill the gap of cruiser and sport bike. yes i am keeping the vulcan

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Excellent, the best of both worlds.  You are a better man than me.  I couldn't adjust to two bikes.  I'm a one bike kinda guy.  I'd kill myself on a cruiser trying to ride it like a C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scooter

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:58:38 AM »
jim. what year is your concours?, how long have you had it?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »
Excellent, the best of both worlds.  You are a better man than me.  I couldn't adjust to two bikes.  I'm a one bike kinda guy. I'd kill myself on a cruiser trying to ride it like a C14.
That's what I decided when I crashed my Road King back in '09.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
jim. what year is your concours?, how long have you had it?

I bought mine in early Aug 07 (it's an 08).  It has roughly 46k on it to date. It would have more but I'm fighting a pinched nerve in my neck at the moment.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Scooter.

I have both a 2009 Connie ABS and a 2010 Voyager ABS. Both are very different and fun to ride.
It took very little time to easily transition between the two. I ride one bike for one week and then
switch off to the other. The big differences were the brakes, controls and ride characteristics.  Once
those were mastered. It easy to ride either one. Although I, have to admit. The Voyager is the favorite
of the two. I have not had issues with either mount. Aside from the recall items.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
Checker cab to porche might be a good comparison.

More like Zero to Hero in 10 seconds  ;D
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
I traded in an 07 Vulcan 900 for the connie(08). Totally different bikes, and I prefer the Prius to Porsche comparison.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
I traded in an 07 Vulcan 900 for the connie(08). Totally different bikes, and I prefer the Prius to Porsche comparison.

Oh, I don't know, my Prius corners pretty well.. ;)

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
Oh, I don't know, my Prius corners pretty well.. ;)

So does a Ninja 250, downhill  :P But that's another topic for another thread

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
Bet it will out do a Vulcan as well... :rotflmao:

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »
Bet it will out do a Vulcan as well... :rotflmao:
I don't doubt that.. mine was slow, but it did get awesome gas mileage...but it was slow....

Offline JerBear

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
I can't give an exact reference to a Vulcan but before I rode the C-14 I had a Honda VTX 1800C. It was much easier to back up, balance when stopped, had better low end grunt, and was an all around good bike.  Having said that, The C-14 is a "better" all around bike, smooth, handles soooo much better.  It is quicker, cheaper to insure and I do not regret for two seconds changing to it.  I will stick with it unless I win the lottery and can afford a vulcan 2000 too!
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline scooter

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
thanks for the replys guys. jim and denver why all the hate for the vulcan line up? allmost thought this was a harley site for a second

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »
I can't give an exact reference to a Vulcan but before I rode the C-14 I had a Honda VTX 1800C. It was much easier to back up, balance when stopped, had better low end grunt, and was an all around good bike.  Having said that, The C-14 is a "better" all around bike, smooth, handles soooo much better.  It is quicker, cheaper to insure and I do not regret for two seconds changing to it.  I will stick with it unless I win the lottery and can afford a vulcan 2000 too!

But the 1800 VTX sounds horrible!!!!!!! :pukeface:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »
I don't doubt that.. mine was slow, but it did get awesome gas mileage...but it was slow....

There is a Harley dealership who put up a huge billboard with "54 MPG!!!!" on it.  I roll my eyes every time I have to go past it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mike_M

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
thanks for the replys guys. jim and denver why all the hate for the vulcan line up? allmost thought this was a harley site for a second

I don't think any is hating on the Vulcan's.  I could not live without mine.  After you ride a C-14 for a few months and you switch back and fourth between the bike's you will get what we are saying about the comparisons.  It's just different,  not bad.