Author Topic: New member possibly going from K1600GT to C14  (Read 16112 times)

Offline eng943

New member possibly going from K1600GT to C14
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
New to this forum, and I am in the process of considering going from my new K1600GT to a C14 due to an impending divorce.

This is a really tough bike to give up, but I think if I farkle the C14 a little I would be happy with it. I have really grown to appreciate electronic suspension, adaptive headlight, bluetooh, stereo, built in Nav, heated seat, cruise, etc.

To get the C14 close to the level of comfort the K16GT has, I will need Helibar risers, and peg lowering kit. Any otther options appreciated.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make the C14 more touring friendly, please let me know. I don't want to spend too much on farkles, or I would otherwise just keep the K16GT.

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: New member possibly going from K1600GT to C14
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Welcome!  Oh, read the threads... there are tons of examples.
All can be added:

*Heated seat
*Bluetooth system
*Electronic cruise
*HID lighting
*Even more storage
*Risers

Etc.  You can end up with a bike that has almost all the same comforts, same (maybe better in some ways) performance, easily as reliable (if not more so) for many, many, many, many thousands less.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JerBear

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
I'll bite.  If you really tour a lot, it would be hard to match the BMW. IMO, the C14 tends to lean a bit more towards the sport end of sport/touring but the newer bikes are closer.  It would depend on how much of a hoover effect your ex has had on your wallet.  If you want to make a C14 a real touring bike you can but it will cost you a lot and lessen the sport end of the bike and that is where I love it most.  Repairs, when needed are less.  Insurance is less. I have had many non-bikers ask me where I got my bimmer and I just laugh!  I'm so broke I can't pay attention much less buy German.  The styling is similar and function is too but for my money the C14 is hands down the way to go.  The only thing that the C14 can't match is the motor, BMW is smooth as glass.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
Check out www.murphskits.com Absolute top shelf service.  Check out the LSL bar kit.  To help keep that Bavarian flair get a Throttle Meister ;)  Also check out the Cee Baileys Euro screen.  Ignore anything but the Neutron Silver, it is the fastest color out there and it isn't neutered with a speed limiter.  An added bonus is you wont need to wash her everytime you get done riding 8)
Welcome to the insanity, be ready for some sharp witted folks and some of the best help found on the net.  We welcome all riders, heck, I heard rumor just the other day a member bought a Harley Sportster, he drives a Prius and wears a silly suit of armor :rotflmao:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
If you want the most bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with the C14.  Good luck with your decision.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
What town is the K1600GT located? How much are you asking (cash)? Clean title?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
Interesting list of things you seem to really want- most exclusive to BMWs, and most to the 1600 at that. Assuming you are not a troll (hey, first post and all), it certainly does not seem like you would be happy with a C-14.... or any Japanese bike for that matter. Some of the farkles you mention are expensive and somewhat difficult to add while others cannot be added at virtually any cost to a motorcycle that does not come with them from the factory.

Best of luck with your choice but I just do not see you buying a C-14 and the story having a happy ending. It seems more like a recipe for certain disappointment.

Brian

New to this forum, and I am in the process of considering going from my new K1600GT to a C14 due to an impending divorce.

This is a really tough bike to give up, but I think if I farkle the C14 a little I would be happy with it. I have really grown to appreciate electronic suspension, adaptive headlight, bluetooh, stereo, built in Nav, heated seat, cruise, etc.

To get the C14 close to the level of comfort the K16GT has, I will need Helibar risers, and peg lowering kit. Any otther options appreciated.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make the C14 more touring friendly, please let me know. I don't want to spend too much on farkles, or I would otherwise just keep the K16GT.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline W14

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Have you considered what you are going to get for your K1600GT? It may be that you loose so much from your sale or trade that it is not cost beneficial to farkle-up the C14 to get the conveniences to which you are accustomed.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »
Interesting list of things you seem to really want- most exclusive to BMWs, and most to the 1600 at that. Assuming you are not a troll (hey, first post and all), it certainly does not seem like you would be happy with a C-14.... or any Japanese bike for that matter. Some of the farkles you mention are expensive and somewhat difficult to add while others cannot be added at virtually any cost to a motorcycle that does not come with them from the factory.

Best of luck with your choice but I just do not see you buying a C-14 and the story having a happy ending. It seems more like a recipe for certain disappointment.

Brian

No word from OP since you called him out on the Troll Syndrome, or warned him about losing some luxuries. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ernie4110

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
After my divorce I could not afford a Pinto. It took me five years to recover from that. Divorces are expenses but the one thing is always true: "there worth it".

Rash
09 Conours
04 Goldwing
MSF Instructor

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Well, I didn't call him a troll, just pointed out that it was the first post and there was a laundry list of things the BMW has that he likes.

As far as losing items, it is inevitable and I just thought I would point out that making that move from a K1600 to a C-14 probably won't result in a happy camper. If he wanted a similar but lighter bike and didn't care about some of the items exclusive to the BMW then it might work out better.

Brian

No word from OP since you called him out on the Troll Syndrome, or warned him about losing some luxuries.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
After my divorce I could not afford a Pinto. It took me five years to recover from that. Divorces are expenses but the one thing is always true: "there worth it".

Rash

I concur!!!

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
After my divorce I could not afford a Pinto.

Rash

Pinto Farkles!!! :yikes:  :rotflmao:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline jayke

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
He probally won't lose much on his K1600 GT.  They are really hard to find and about $25K too. I don't think he'll be happy with anything after a K1600 GT.

If it was me, I'd keep the bike and get a cheaper car.  He'll soon have plenty of time to ride.  :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
He probally won't lose much on his K1600 GT.  They are really hard to find and about $25K too. I don't think he'll be happy with anything after a K1600 GT.

If it was me, I'd keep the bike and get a cheaper car.  He'll soon have plenty of time to ride.  :)

This is why I haven't test rode the new Beemer, although the dealer down the street has offered me many many opportunities. 

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
To the OP

I dont think the C14 is for you. If you bought the 1600GT and love it the 14 is no match, The C14 is a sports tourer and does exactly what it says on the tin. The 1600 GT is just a Grand Tourer and does very well at that but a sports bike it aint.

You would be better off trading it back to your dealer and getting a cheaper BMW or a goldwing.
To turn the C14 into what you want is of course possible but why bother when other options are available?

Offline JerBear

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
Pinto Farkles!!!   

What would that be? A fire extinguisher?  ::)
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
Pinto farkles are like "woody panels", behind rear seat seatbelts, mid mounted fuel tank, anti-burn-vinyl that my mothers kids can't make snowmen in with the cigarette lighter, and duct-tape. Oh yeah tie-wire.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
After your divorce and the sale of the 1600LT maybe you'll be able to afford a Trek and a pair of riding shotrs. ;D
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:46 AM »
A buddy and me both rode the K1600GT at the rather persistent insistence of a hot little sales girl.  We both brought them back and were happy to have our C14's.  It was hard to turn down the hottie but we told her "Sorry but it's just not what I'm looking for." I went one step further and said what I feel "If it weren't for the C14, I'd have stopped riding street bikes altogether."  She was noticeably disappointed/puzzled but the "I wonder" look she couldn't hide while glancing at our Candy Diamond Red machines glistening in the sun spoke volumes.  Too bad I'm happily married.

Moral of the story, ride one and then report.

This is why I haven't test rode the new Beemer, although the dealer down the street has offered me many many opportunities.