Author Topic: New member possibly going from K1600GT to C14  (Read 16103 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: New member possibly going from K1600GT to C14
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Depending on what you get from your 1600Gt I would get a Gold Wing if the C 14 isn't for you. Lot of great deals on wings a couple years old with low mileage. Sounds like a wing would be more your style. I have owned 6 of them, the last was an 08 GL1800, great bikes and every bit as good as the 1600GT and lot less expensive to purchase and maintain.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »

Moral of the story, ride one and then report.

The bikes or the hottie?  ;)
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Exactly!   ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
Hottie? I went back through whole thread and didn't see any pic's.

Offline eng943

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
No word from OP since you called him out on the Troll Syndrome, or warned him about losing some luxuries.

You know what? Both of you can take a soak for the troll aqusations. I work 12-13 hour days, and am juggling a family that is splitting up. Thanks for your dumbed down mouth breathing troll remarks...both of you.

Onto my situation. Yes, I like the features of my K16....so this makes me a troll???? I think I made it clear the divorce was causing me to streamline my motorcycle hobby expenses, so that's life. I think I will have to learn to live without some of the features of the K16. The C14 isn't spartan by any means and I can farkle when I can afford to.

I do not want a damn Goldwing either, or I would be on the Goldwing forum. I want the nicest sport touring bike I can afford and justify, and between the FJR and ST13, the Concours is my choice. Sure, the I4 may not be as smoooth as the I6, but that is not grounds for dismissing the C14 and going straight to a 900lb barge. I have found a leftover silver 2011 for $12,800 OTD that I am strongly considering. I think with risers and possibly peg lowering kit, bigger windshield, and an aftermarket seat the C14 will be a very worthy alternative to my K16. 

Also, some of these comparisons of the C14 to the K16 are way off IMO. Both bikes are capable of long distance sport touring, and I highly doubt a seasoned rider would be much if any faster on either bike period. I had a K13GT before my K16, and the K13 and C14 have always been close competitors. To that end I don't think I am any slower or faster on the K16, although it does steer lighter than my old K13GT. Moreover, the K13GT I4 while not as smooth as my K16 was just fine, as I am sure the C14 is I4 is.

Ergo wise, if I raise the bars and drop the pegs the C14 becomes almost as neutral ergonomically as my K16...certainly close enough to spend 700-800 mile day in good comfort behind an aftermarket windshield.

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline texrider

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
They're just funnin' ya...

I'd say get a killer deal on a '08-'09 w/abs, and don't look back! Good luck.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
+1..you'll do well here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
And the K16 is an AWESOME feat of engineering until you realize that the OTD price is easily twice what I paid for my C14...that's when I say, why?? What on that machine is THAT much better? Then I notice in the fine print that the factory warranty period for the K16 is 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. What? For this price it ought to be unlimited mileage as well. So I am able to add an additional 3 years of FACTORY coverage for a total of 6 years with unlimited miles and with this factored in still buy TWO C14's for the price of one K16.

His and Hers anybody?

Thank God for Kawasaki is all I can say!  25000 miles and trucking like she was new.  Shhh! Don't tell her she's getting long in the tooth!  By this time next year (end of the world?) I will see 40,000 miles on the ODO if I only ride the ONE big trip planned so far. 

Offline W14

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought, good luck, the C14 is a great bike

Offline ronski

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
eng943-- I've sent you a PM.
sadly bikeless..... but I'm working on that!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
Good deal on the 2011. I love that silver way more than my blue 2010. I like the upgrades stepping up from the 08,09s to the 10,11,and 12s. I ride mine commuting to and from work (160-350 miles round trip) and love it stock. I have a cheapo rear trunk for all the tools I need for work.
This is a great forum for tons on info on the C-14 and the C-10. I think people dig a little deeper this time of year. It must be the cold and snow that gets them wound tighter.
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »
I did not say you were a troll, just that what you said sounded like a troll. What makes it sound troll- like is coming to a Concours forum and explaining how you have to 'step down' from a BMW but think you might be able to get by with a C-14 and a few farkles.

Either way (troll or not), that probably is not the best way to introduce yourself to a group of Concours enthusiasts. The choice for me came down to a BMW K1200GT (direct competitor in 2007) and a C-14 and I choose the C-14 because I preferred it, not because it was my second choice. So I think most would understand that I would not have much sympathy for anyone 'forced' to 'step down' to the 'inferior bike' that I do not feel is in any inferior to a BMW.

As far as my remarks, I think they were perfectly polite and to the point.

To each his / her own. You and I have no conflict; I do not care which bike(s) you own or ride, and I cannot imagine that you care which I own or ride.

Brian

You know what? Both of you can take a soak for the troll aqusations. I work 12-13 hour days, and am juggling a family that is splitting up. Thanks for your dumbed down mouth breathing troll remarks...both of you.

Onto my situation. Yes, I like the features of my K16....so this makes me a troll???? I think I made it clear the divorce was causing me to streamline my motorcycle hobby expenses, so that's life. I think I will have to learn to live without some of the features of the K16. The C14 isn't spartan by any means and I can farkle when I can afford to.

<snip>

Ergo wise, if I raise the bars and drop the pegs the C14 becomes almost as neutral ergonomically as my K16...certainly close enough to spend 700-800 mile day in good comfort behind an aftermarket windshield.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
I did not say you were a troll, just that what you said sounded like a troll. What makes it sound troll- like is coming to a Concours forum and explaining how you have to 'step down' from a BMW but think you might be able to get by with a C-14 and a few farkles.

Either way (troll or not), that probably is not the best way to introduce yourself to a group of Concours enthusiasts. The choice for me came down to a BMW K1200GT (direct competitor in 2007) and a C-14 and I choose the C-14 because I preferred it, not because it was my second choice. So I think most would understand that I would not have much sympathy for anyone 'forced' to 'step down' to the 'inferior bike' that I do not feel is in any inferior to a BMW.

As far as my remarks, I think they were perfectly polite and to the point.

To each his / her own. You and I have no conflict; I do not care which bike(s) you own or ride, and I cannot imagine that you care which I own or ride.

Brian

How's Kirby's beemer running these days Brian?  ;)    :stirpot: 

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
 ;D

Kirby is ascairt of BMW's and no wonder- he is built so much closer to the ground then the rest of us if the final drive flame- out he starts off a LOT closer to the flames. He thinks it is dangerous just walking around those bikes....

Brian

How's Kirby's beemer running these days Brian?  ;)    :stirpot:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
eng943,
I put some 5000 miles in a couple of K16 (GT and GTL) last year and I wrote my conclusions here, and when I drove my C14 immediately after the K16, I wrote this.
Hopefully it helps you decide. I don't know if you tried the C14 already, but my friends with K16 that tried mine agree on my views for the most part.
cheers,
Martín
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
Brian, I have to admit that I find your words a bit uncalled for this time. I read the original post and this guy never said that he was stepping down from the K16 to the C14. He just explained what he liked from his bike and asked how to achieve the same with another bike. Or at least that's my interpretation...  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
You may well be right Martin, and thanks for your honest opinion.

I can be a bit sensitive regarding the C-14 because it seems that it draws an unwarranted amount of complaints, criticism and overall negative responses. The direct competitors to this bike (we know which ones they are so I will not mention them) have far more significant and common problems as well as outright recalls but they do not seem to draw as much negative commentary as the C-14. It almost seems like the C-14 is the 'whipping boy' of the sport touring community. I actually frequent another Japanese competitor's forum as it also contains a lot of useful information about large, heavy ST bikes in general, and I find the prevalent attitude is much more reasonable even when problems arise- they tackle them and move on rather than whining endlessly.

Again, thanks for your observations and I will try to be less sensitive in the future.

Brian

Brian, I have to admit that I find your words a bit uncalled for this time. I read the original post and this guy never said that he was stepping down from the K16 to the C14. He just explained what he liked from his bike and asked how to achieve the same with another bike. Or at least that's my interpretation...  :)

Offline eng943

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
Here is what I have put together for some "must haves" to get me where I want to be or have grown accustomed to.

1. Heli Bar Risers + Wedges - This will get the bars up to an angle fairly comperable to my K16 $approx 300.00
2. Vstream windshield. approx $179.00
3. Rosta cruise control - Electronic cruise a must for me. approx $240.00
4. Aftermarket seat - approx $500.00
5. Possibly a peg lowering kit.

Now, I had planned on a larger windshield and aftermarket seat for my K16, so essentially I will be spending $500.00 or so on farkles that I would have otherwise not spent (maybe). Regardless, this seems like a pretty choice and plan, and I have no doubts that with these modifications, the C14 would be a much more capable touring bike.

Anyone disagree? 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
E9,
Don't forget to add Phils rack and a rear trunk, if touring...