Author Topic: How to remove pistons from Calipers  (Read 9111 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
How to remove pistons from Calipers
« on: December 24, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
Can Someone fill in the blank please.  THink i was moving to fast and shoulda removed the cylinders by engaging brake and letting them pop out.  At this point the calipers (front) are removed from bike, torx bolts removed...and pistons inplace.  Read the manual and it suggested using compressed air...where to stick the hose?  Also guess I need to buy a compressed air unit now, or is there another way of popping them out?
Will

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: How to remove pistons from Calipers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:04:20 PM »
Shoot the compressed air in the port where the brake line connects. Have a rag to catch the piston.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »
It would not have mattered anyway, you cannot pop all four pistons from the caliper with the brake master cylinder- one invariably moves a bit farther and once any single piston is beyond its seal the system will not move the other pistons because all the fluid just runs out of the caliper hole without the piston.

As Lather said, compressed air works best. Just cover everything with a rag and be careful because the pistons may come out with some speed and force. Cover everything with a rag or several rags and keep you face pointed away from the caliper while you use compressed air to push the pistons out. Once one piston is out, just hold it against the seals (it does not have to be inserted into the caliper) to stop the huge leak and another shot of compressed air will move the other piston out.

Again, as Lather said, put the air nozzle against the transfer hole in the face of each caliper half (after you take the calipers apart). Also, hold your thumb with a rag over the hose hole on the outer caliper so you can pressurize the caliper half or all the air will escape out that hole.

You may be able to find something that will reach inside the pistons, expand, and be able to remove them- something like a battery terminal expander comes to mind. DO NOT grab the outside of the pistons and do not grab a lip of the piston- if you try to get them out mechanically, only touch the inside of the pistons. Also do not use a lot of force because the pistons are easy to distort and after that they will be useless.

An air compressor really is handy to work around motorcycles / autos though. It is not necessary but it makes some things much easier, like replacing handlebar grips and removing caliper pistons.

Brian

Can Someone fill in the blank please.  THink i was moving to fast and shoulda removed the cylinders by engaging brake and letting them pop out.  At this point the calipers (front) are removed from bike, torx bolts removed...and pistons inplace.  Read the manual and it suggested using compressed air...where to stick the hose?  Also guess I need to buy a compressed air unit now, or is there another way of popping them out?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roadie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
ok thanks fellas, guess I'll get a compressor from Pep Boys.  They had what appeared to be a nice little 8 gallon unit on sale.  I'd much rather have the 60 gallon unit from harbor freight, as I am thinking some impact tools would be nice for working on my truck, and 8 gallons might gimme one lug nut per tank of air.
Will

Offline Makz58

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 06:19:48 PM »
You could take them down to a brake tire place....but having a compressor in your shop is a must do.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline coyoteb

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
there you go
Brake caliper piston removal trick
merry christmas

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
ok thanks fellas, guess I'll get a compressor from Pep Boys.  They had what appeared to be a nice little 8 gallon unit on sale.  I'd much rather have the 60 gallon unit from harbor freight, as I am thinking some impact tools would be nice for working on my truck, and 8 gallons might gimme one lug nut per tank of air.

i would buy the smaller one. i wouldn't buy an air compressor from harbor freight. Look into an electric or battery powered impact also. i've got a snaop on battery powered one and an air powered one. so far i have never used the air powered one except for once.

that's just my $.02

Offline roadie

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 06:19:28 AM »
there you go
Brake caliper piston removal trick
merry christmas

sweet...this worked...still gonna get an air tank.  I just used my tire pump and got the calipers out.  nice quick work.

So can I use a dental pick to pull the old seals out?  they look fine, still replace?  Where does the grease go?  Just on grooves for the seals?
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I think I'm going to start calling you Haroldo...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »

:-) what fer?
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »
Someone will chime in on that one....lets just say your entertainment value is priceless.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Someone will chime in on that one....lets just say your entertainment value is priceless.

Lemme guess: "where does the grease go?" :). I just put on the grooves and a slight coat on cylinders. Hope thats right.
Will

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
You do not have to grease the seals or any part of the caliper but it won't hurt anything either. A light coat on the back corners of the pistons will help you to install them without damaging the seals. And you don't have to grease the whole piston either, just the radius where it is forced into the seal. Wipe any grease off the outside of the pistons and calipers after everything is together or it will attract dirt and grit.

Brian

Lemme guess: "where does the grease go?" :). I just put on the grooves and a slight coat on cylinders. Hope thats right.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
Will seems OK and all but not in the same league as Haroldo. This makes me wonder how things are going with Haroldo? I wonder what his Christmas tree looks like? I wonder if it fell over yet.  ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
You guys are downright mean.. and on Christmas no less... one blown engine and the poor guy's reputation is tainted for life.  All in fun I know.  I don't have my pic up yet but this is my first post on this site.  Hi Brian.. nice to see you again.

Dave

Offline roadie

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
You guys are downright mean.. and on Christmas no less... one blown engine and the poor guy's reputation is tainted for life.  All in fun I know.  I don't have my pic up yet but this is my first post on this site.  Hi Brian.. nice to see you again.

Dave

ok ok, who is this Haroldo guy and why am I close to being in his league??
Will

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Haroldo is a great guy on a different forum not so different from this one who decided to adjust his valves.  The resulting repairs took a few weeks if memory serves.. I don't remember what the exact start of the problem was but it ended up pretty bad.

Dave

Offline roadie

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »

Tough crowd!  Guess I better start wearing one of these!

http://kagemartialarts.com/mma-gear/226-tpr-athletic-cup.html

Will

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 06:05:01 AM »
Haroldo is our HERO. He fearlessly attacks mechanical feats most of us shudder to think about. And when all goes rather badly pays the [very high] price of rescue like a man, without bitterness or whining.
[$3000+ if IIRC]
The guy has a wonderful sense of humor and us old timers miss his  posts!
Although he is our hero, we do not nec. wish to be like him.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »
And that's it in a nutshell....

Haroldo gave us much pleasure and his posts were marvelous in that he was very detailed in his adventures in C14 repairs.  He was epic and we miss him.  But now we have Will.  One door closes and another opens.

As far as needing a cup....I don't think so.  We did not make fun or deride him in his adventures that he shared with us.  We relished them as a novel you couldn't put down or a movie that you had to keep watching.

Will, your escapades in wrenching on the C14, with the detail you provide, are helping others to do their own maintenance.  The information is priceless and we thank you for that.   :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:18:59 AM by VirginiaJim »