Author Topic: compression ratio gtr vs zx14  (Read 12576 times)

Offline oldnslo

compression ratio gtr vs zx14
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »
does anyone know where the zx is picking up the compression ratio to 12/1 vs the gtr 10.7/1? bike bandit has the same part numbers for both bikes for the pistons,head,crank and head gasket. Is the deck height shorter on the zx??thinking of upgrading my gtr with zxd cams and throttle bodies,but don't know how much gain I'd accomplish without upping the compression. any thoughts??? thx... :-\
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline Gearhead82

Re: compression ratio gtr vs zx14
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
Hmmm. . . that's interesting.  I just assumed the difference was in the pistons. . .

Something else to note though. . . since we have variable cam timing and the ZX does not, I don't think you can just swap the cams. 
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »
Iwas planning on removing the variable actuator and using the zx14 drive sprocket on the intake cam..

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
The intake valve closing point has a lot to do with the dynamic compression ratio. I'd suspect, that's where the differance is.
So if you change out the cam and the sprocket to the ones from a ZX-14, you "might" get the same compression ratio as a ZX-14.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Gearhead82

'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
thx,you're right,that makes more sense. :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
True about the dynamic compression but to the best of my knowledge, the compression ratio of an engine is usually (or always?) spec'd as a simple mechanical function assuming perfect volumetric efficiency. Put another way, the stated compression ratio is nothing more than the volume of the cylinder and head when the piston is all the way down compared to the volume of the cylinder and head with the piston all the way up. In a normally aspirated engine (not supercharged) that ratio would be impossible to achieve anyway.

Brian

The intake valve closing point has a lot to do with the dynamic compression ratio. I'd suspect, that's where the differance is.
So if you change out the cam and the sprocket to the ones from a ZX-14, you "might" get the same compression ratio as a ZX-14.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:51:32 AM »
True about the dynamic compression but to the best of my knowledge, the compression ratio of an engine is usually (or always?) spec'd as a simple mechanical function assuming perfect volumetric efficiency. Put another way, the stated compression ratio is nothing more than the volume of the cylinder and head when the piston is all the way down compared to the volume of the cylinder and head with the piston all the way up. In a normally aspirated engine (not supercharged) that ratio would be impossible to achieve anyway.

Brian

That's called "Static Compression". And yes, static compression is what is usually given as the spec.  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline punkynlew1

Re: compression ratio gtr vs zx14/different pistons
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
thx,you're right,that makes more sense. :)

Keep in mind that the ZX14 has 12:1 CR forged pistons and the C14 has cast (not forged) 10.7:1 CR with the same connecting rods.   Lew

Offline Axxman

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Keep in mind that the ZX14 has 12:1 CR forged pistons and the C14 has cast (not forged) 10.7:1 CR with the same connecting rods.   Lew

Thank you Punky I was just going to say that.
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »

Does anyone know the dis/advantages of forged and cast pistons - why both types are used in the 1400 engine?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
Just buy a damn ZX14 for cryin out loud. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
Does anyone know the dis/advantages of forged and cast pistons - why both types are used in the 1400 engine?

Here is some info on the first part of your question: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-pistons.html

http://www.hoon.tk/tech_tips/pistons.html

http://www.glmmarine.com/castvsforged.html

As for the second part of your question, well I can only guess that Kawasaki feels that for a sport bike, the buyer is motivated primarily by performance; and that a sport touring bike purchaser might want some durability/longevity/drivability thrown in as well? Like I said, just a guess.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:52 AM »
Thanks marty - most informative!
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »
Thanks marty - most informative!

I agree.  Very informative.

And from that information, I would speculate that piston failure in a turbo C14 has little to do with whether the piston is forged or cast, and everything to do with just the design of the piston.

A piston designed to see X pressure, X load, and X heat, simply may not be able to handle X*1.5 or X*2.  It is an interesting side-effect of modern quality control.  Manufacturing is so much better now, that they can take advantages of better control to design something that will more closely match the expected "X", where in the past, things would have to be over-engineered just to be sure.  The more modern production results in less waste, less mass, better target performance, lower price, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »
In the three links I provided, I believe there is a typo in the third, the article from glmmarine has the piston clearances reversed?..or perhaps I just don't understand what I thought I understood.  ???

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
Missed this thread. Ha Ha. :)

First off: The compression difference between the 2 motors in question are due to piston dish volume AND combustion chamber volume. The C14 has more piston volume AND more combustion chamber CC. The 2 motors share the same crank, rods, wristpins, headgasket, valves, and springs. The head itself and the block (cases) are different. I'm 99% certain that the piston-to-deck clearance is also the same. Compression height of the C14 and ZX14 pistons are also the same (compression height is the distance from the centerline of the wristpin to the highest edge of the piston).

Second: Those articles are fairly informative, but they miss a bit too. Modern CNC, stress modeling, and forging has come a loooong way in the last few years. A finished forged/CNC'ed piston is pretty light; they can get rid of a lot material that doesn't need to be there. Another big thing they miss is grain structure and metal alloy. Without going off the deep end in manufacturing lingo, forging makes for a stronger & less brittle piece of metal than casting, and you can forge superior alloyed metals that you would not be able to cast without great difficulty/flaws.

I agree.  Very informative.

And from that information, I would speculate that piston failure in a turbo C14 has little to do with whether the piston is forged or cast, and everything to do with just the design of the piston.

Yes and no. The design of the piston plays into the weakness of a cast piston over a forged item. If you look at a Zx14/C14 piston, they have to cut the relief for the intake valves -real- close to the top ring land... the portion there gets just a few mm thick at the edge of the piston. Under really high cylinder pressures (boost/nitrous/sustained high compression) that really thin piece will get hot... hot enough to potentially start altering the mechanical properties of the metal (which are determined by the alloy and process of which it is made ie: forged or cast). In the case of the cast metal, the constant heating and cooling at or near that point will cause it to get really brittle and start to crack. The rapid acceleration forces of the piston will eventually work these cracks into failures (read: energetic dis-assembly). You could speculate that if our C14 cast pistons were completely uniform in the dish and of sufficient thickness (ie no valve reliefs or irregularities) that they would be more suitable for boost/nitrous/high compression. I would agree that they would last a lot longer under such abuse, but you would eventually see a similar failure around the edge of the piston somewhere. Forging is just a necessity when you are talking about 200+ horsepower per liter of displacement. The shear mechanical strength advantage of a forged piston would argue that, let alone the metallurgy. :)

Does that clear it up a bit? Or did I make it worse? :)

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
does anyone know where the zx is picking up the compression ratio to 12/1 vs the gtr 10.7/1? bike bandit has the same part numbers for both bikes for the pistons,head,crank and head gasket. Is the deck height shorter on the zx??thinking of upgrading my gtr with zxd cams and throttle bodies,but don't know how much gain I'd accomplish without upping the compression. any thoughts??? thx... :-\

I answered some of that in the other post, but you would want more compression if you run more aggressive cams. Compression makes cams work: the more cam, the more compression you need. On the subject of cams, I was looking at the concours cams the other day and I'm pretty certain that you can bolt the VVT adjuster on to any other cam that would normally fit. I'll take some photo's of it later and do some digging, but I think it's possible. You could also run an adjustable sprocket on the exhaust cam to dial it in; the VVT device only controls the intake cam. :)

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

You could.... but I personally don't think that wanting comfort, better passenger accommodations, and luggage means that I have to settle for less-than-standard performance offered on damn-near the same engine from the same manufacturer, or vice versa. The C14 engine has the ability & technology to outperform the Zx14 motor everywhere using parts they already make... but they dumb it down (sorry, "tune for torque") and make it cheaper instead. Frustrating, if one dwells on it it long enough.