Author Topic: gear indicator (yeap, I did a search first...)  (Read 13318 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
gear indicator (yeap, I did a search first...)
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
Well, I guess it was bound to happen. After all, I've been on the worst Italian/Alpine roads without losing my bags, thousands of miles from home without KI-PASS acting up or the final drive blowing up, etc... (my disks warped, though) so I suppose it is fair  :o that my gear indicator started acting weird. First (a couple of months ago) it was an increasing delay to show the gear I just engaged. Then I could even switch 2 gears before it reacted. Now, I can be in OD and the display will still show 2nd, then switch to 4th, stay there for a while, and when I change to 5th (from OD) it will show neutral. Neat, uh?
Yeap, I know, warranty issue. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Or maybe not. I'll be putting her into hibernation until March at the end of November so...  :'(

Just in case: does somebody know if it is a complicated/expensive item to replace? I might just buy the part and do it myself.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: gear indicator (yeap, I did a search first...)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
That sounds pretty typical as to how they fail. I have had one fail and my second one is acting oddly of late so it is probably time for another one.

I believe they are something like $90 (US) as I remember although mine was replaced under warranty. Not too difficult to change either- it is located on the left side of the engine and pretty easy to remove and replace. By the way, there are some pins and springs that engage the gear position indicator itself which should also be changed when the G.P.I. is changed and they have to be ordered as separate parts.

Brian

Well, I guess it was bound to happen. After all, I've been on the worst Italian/Alpine roads without losing my bags, thousands of miles from home without KI-PASS acting up or the final drive blowing up, etc... (my disks warped, though) so I suppose it is fair  :o that my gear indicator started acting weird. First (a couple of months ago) it was an increasing delay to show the gear I just engaged. Then I could even switch 2 gears before it reacted. Now, I can be in OD and the display will still show 2nd, then switch to 4th, stay there for a while, and when I change to 5th (from OD) it will show neutral. Neat, uh?
Yeap, I know, warranty issue. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Or maybe not. I'll be putting her into hibernation until March at the end of November so...  :'(

Just in case: does somebody know if it is a complicated/expensive item to replace? I might just buy the part and do it myself.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
Hey, my Spyder did a similar thing earlier this year.  Like the C14 it wasn't a big issue - until it showed R on the dispaly while I was going forward at hiway speed.  It didn't like that at all and went into limp mode.  Unlike the C14, it has a potentiometer as the GPI.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
Yep, warranty issue, took the tech about 5 minutes to confirm fault, orderd part, called me back, I dropped off the bike at closing time, bike was ready the next day before I got home.  It appears this is the one item not protected by the mad "Powahs" of KIPASS ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »
thanks guys for the infos. The only thing I can add to my first "report" of how it started is that it behaves particularly slow when the temps are very low. This morning it was 25°F and it showed up. When I drove home yesterday afternoon, it was a Bora-Bora-like 50°F and no issues. One more reason to loathe winter... :pukeface:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:42:18 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »
Oh no Martin, don't loathe winter, just select the appropriate toy for the season, and enjoy!

I was wondering if dirty oil plays a role in failing gear position indicators.  Any thoughts, anyone?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:44 AM »
mine was pretty bad when i first bought the bike and it got better with use.
i suspect it's caused by dirty "contact face" on the sensor.
i haven't taken it apart yet, but looking at the service manual, there are 2 metal pieces that have springs pushing them against the sensor.
one sits right in the middle of the circle, the other probably moves in an arc according to what gear you're in. depending on which "sector" the outer metal piece is touching, when electricity flows through the sector (fixed-value resistor inside it) the sensor will read it as a particular gear.

if there are metal or carbon deposits between some sectors, maybe they might short out and the ECU gets a mixed reading.

just my thoughts, probably best to get an old sensor unit and take it apart to figure it out.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
I think it's just a wear point, I do a lot of stop and go during rush hour, I change my oil every 3-4 thou and use a good syn. oil.  It started aound 36000 miles, replaced around 40000.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
Yeah, that would be an attention grabber....

The C-14 has individual resistors and uses a pretty conventional rotary switch method to pass a current through each one. The resistors themselves should be bullet proof but the electrical contacts on the outside seem to be vulnerable to wear, crud and bad connections. Of course I have never seen the G.P.I. read 'R' but mine has done some amusing things such as read: 1,2,3,4,5,4 when up shifting five times. Occasionally it hangs on '5' while really in '6' until I push the shift lever again; there is no noticeable movement but it must move the last 1% of the distance needed to engage the resistor used to indicate '6' or OD. There is something else going on too because if the display was simply displaying the results of testing which resistor was in position it would not continue to display '5' long after the drum turned away from the fifth gear position. Perhaps the ECU is programmed to continue to display the last gear used until a new and valid gear position signal is sent?

Brian

Hey, my Spyder did a similar thing earlier this year.  Like the C14 it wasn't a big issue - until it showed R on the dispaly while I was going forward at hiway speed.  It didn't like that at all and went into limp mode.  Unlike the C14, it has a potentiometer as the GPI.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline bikenut2

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »
Well, I a lot to say about the gear position indicator....but I'll keep it short.  My 2010 Concours with 7282 miles is back at the dealer for the 4th time because of the gear indicator not operating properly.  I have filed an Oregon Lemon Law claim against Kawasaki and my attorney has notifed Kawasaki that we are demanding my money be returned and attorney fees.  So far Kawasaki is being stupid...and this will end up in court and in the magazines...because I will push this issue.  I am DONE with Kawasaki motorcycles!!!!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, sure does sound like a lemon.  Maybe you ended up with the Kawi dissen SteveWFL, contact him, maybe he'll do a swap so he can get back to bashing mama kaw ;D
So, I reckon I and most all of the others got great bikes, my experience in 52000 miles has been stellar, 5 or 6 trips to the track, 2 1300mile  IBA rides, miserable I5 commute, plenty of twisty tours, and massive amount of time on the range.  My one and only issue was the GPS, and that may have been caused during my gravity check, sure wish I had on some Canyon cages.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 04:09:01 AM »
Well, I a lot to say about the gear position indicator....but I'll keep it short.  My 2010 Concours with 7282 miles is back at the dealer for the 4th time because of the gear indicator not operating properly.  I have filed an Oregon Lemon Law claim against Kawasaki and my attorney has notifed Kawasaki that we are demanding my money be returned and attorney fees.  So far Kawasaki is being stupid...and this will end up in court and in the magazines...because I will push this issue.  I am DONE with Kawasaki motorcycles!!!!

So they've replaced it three times?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
SO don't hold back, tell us how you really feel..... ::)
 :stirpot:   :hitfan: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »
Bye!

Are you related to Bob?  Wait.  Never mind.  Don't answer that.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
Bye!

Are you related to Bob?  Wait.  Never mind.  Don't answer that.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
I guess that's the last we hear of him as he's done with Kwaks.  Sounds like to me if it's happened multiple times either the dealer is completely incompetent or he is rough on the shifter and in which case probably a Yammi is in his sights.  Seems that's where all the disappointed folks go....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »

This doesn't sound reasonable at all- the fact that it happened and also your response to the situation.    Did they REPLACE the sensor 3/4 times?  Or did you just take it back to the dealer 4 times?  Have you tried a different dealer?

Hmm...  Something tells me I will not get a response and the above is a fake troll.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
I don't know- it just may be a real troll....  ;D

Back to the subject at hand, the gear position sensor is a pretty simple device and is easily replaced. I had mine replaced when it started to misread and it only took about a few minutes to have it repaired under warranty. The only other consideration is that when the actual gear position sensor itself is replaced, it would be a good idea to replace both pins and springs that make contact with the GPS itself. The pins and springs are only a couple of dollars, which was also covered under warranty when mine were changed, and they do show some wear after bouncing across the opposite contacts for a lot of shifts.

Brian

This doesn't sound reasonable at all- the fact that it happened and also your response to the situation.    Did they REPLACE the sensor 3/4 times?  Or did you just take it back to the dealer 4 times?  Have you tried a different dealer?

Hmm...  Something tells me I will not get a response and the above is a fake troll.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
There ya' go Jim, fixed it up for ya'.  :D  And remember, Fudgers are easier to ride 'cause they only have as many gears as we have fingers on one hand (no carrying numbers when riding on the highway).

OFFTOPIC: speaking of which, I saw [he who must not be named] last Saturday and he is doing well.

Brian

I guess that's the last we hear of him as he's done with Kwaks.  Sounds like to me if it's happened multiple times either the dealer is completely incompetent or he is rough on the shifter and in which case probably a Yammi is in his sights.  Seems that's where all both the disappointed folks go went....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »

I don't know- it just may be a real troll....  ;D

Smells like a troll to me, look at the profile, registered yesterday and 2 hours later posted he was done with Kawi...  :-\

Date Registered: Yesterday at 04:30:07 pm    Last Active: Yesterday at 07:03:36 pm  

Say hi to Kurt for me BN2!  ;)